RE: [DVDongle] DV Tools beta ???

  • John Breland
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

      I’ll second the comment on listing the last few repeaters at the top of the list.  That would be a convenient alternative to a favorites list.  Scrolling (A LOT!) up and down the repeater list is my only major gripe about this software.  Plus, I don’t have the best memory in the world, so I often can’t remember the callsigns.  I have to look at a paper cheat sheet and then scroll up and down the list to find them. Can you imagine what that will be like when the repeater list doubles or even triples from what it is today?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009

        From home I almost never get the full list. From other places I do but I expect it is my ISP. There is nothing reasonable I can do to fix this problem and I suspect it will affect many others as well. We need to program to keep a local cache of the gateways that can be refreshes as and when. While all those in the USA may have really great broadband providers (unlikely) the quality of service in the rest of the world is quite variable. Living in a technically backward country like the UK makes it especially difficult.

        Mike

        Scanned by iCritical.

      • Kuby
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
          It is so frustrating to see the only near DStar repeater is hopping today (per DsarUser.org) and I'm not allowed to access i t due to DVTools does not list W8BI in the list. I cannot type in W8BI as we are restricted to only the listed callsigns. We cannot refresh the DVTools list.

          This is not just a Beta problem but also seen with V1.05.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
            My understanding is that W8BI took a lightning hit that took out their router. It is being repaired.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@...> wrote:

            > It is so frustrating to see the only near DStar repeater is hopping today (per DsarUser.org) and I'm not allowed to access i t due to DVTools does not list W8BI in the list. I cannot type in W8BI as we are restricted to only the listed callsigns. We cannot refresh the DVTools list.
            >
            > This is not just a Beta problem but also seen with V1.05.
            >

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I see the repeater I want ot operate listed on D-StarUsers.org. There has been activity on W9BI all day - but it is NOT listed as a repeater I can select in the DVtools DStar Connection window. There is no "refresh" button to request this list be updated.
            > > W8BI is missing today at 1645hrs EST.
            > >
            > > Also it would be a nice feature to have the last (five) used repeaters slid to the very top of the list so we do not have to dig them out of the list every time we want to switch to the repeaters we frequent. Much like MS Word does on the most recent used Fonts.
            > >
            > > Kuby, N6JSX/8

          • john_ke5c
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
              > From home I almost never get the full list. From other places I do but I
              > expect it is my ISP. There is nothing reasonable I can do to fix this
              > problem and I suspect it will affect many others as well.

              I've reported this before. This happens to me with beta 4 and beta 5, java 13, Vista and Fedora 10. I get a different length list each time I click the gateway drop down box. The list is usually longer with Vista, but even then, rarely complete. I think it's a dvtool bug.

              73 -- John
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 6, 2009
                It's not a "DVTool bug". :)

                If you use a program like wireshark, you can actually see the packets as they come into your computer and you'll see that some of the gateway list packets are missing. When there is network congestion, routers can drop UDP packets without notice.

                I'm looking at ways to guarantee delivery.

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "john_ke5c" <ke5c@...> wrote:

                > > From home I almost never get the full list. From other places I do but I
                > > expect it is my ISP. There is nothing reasonable I can do to fix this
                > > problem and I suspect it will affect many others as well.
                >
                > I've reported this before. This happens to me with beta 4 and beta 5, java 13, Vista and Fedora 10. I get a different length list each time I click the gateway drop down box. The list is usually longer with Vista, but even then, rarely complete. I think it's a dvtool bug.
                >
                > 73 -- John

              • Kuby
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 7, 2009
                  Thanks

                  This is confusing.... W8BI/r is operating well enough to report Digital RF connections to DStarUsers.org (via internet) but not well enough to allow DVD internet access - confusing and a system weakness (as far as proper reporting of a repeater problem/off-line condition)?

                  It appears D-Star as a networked system has some weak points.

                  Does DStarUser.Org poll/test all connections as to status (as a background system health function), i.e. if Mode "A", "B", "C" is off-line report same? Can the repeater connect message give more than just their call sign, aka QTH & OP Modes? If not, why?

                  > My understanding is that W8BI took a lightning hit that took out their router. It is being repaired.

                  > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > It is so frustrating to see the only near DStar repeater is hopping today (per DsarUser.org) and I'm not allowed to access i t due to DVTools does not list W8BI in the list. I cannot type in W8BI as we are restricted to only the listed callsigns. We cannot refresh the DVTools list.
                  > >
                  > > This is not just a Beta problem but also seen with V1.05.
                  > >

                  > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I see the repeater I want ot operate listed on D-StarUsers.org. There has been activity on W9BI all day - but it is NOT listed as a repeater I can select in the DVtools DStar Connection window. There is no "refresh" button to request this list be updated.
                  > > > W8BI is missing today at 1645hrs EST.
                  > > >
                  > > > Also it would be a nice feature to have the last (five) used repeaters slid to the very top of the list so we do not have to dig them out of the list every time we want to switch to the repeaters we frequent. Much like MS Word does on the most recent used Fonts.
                  > > >
                  > > > Kuby, N6JSX/8

                • john_ke5c
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 7, 2009
                    > It's not a "DVTool bug". :)

                    opps... :(

                    > If you use a program like wireshark, you can actually see the packets as they come into your computer and you'll see that some of the gateway list packets are missing. When there is network congestion, routers can drop UDP packets without notice.

                    Ahhh, another example of UDP non-delivery and/or a poorly performing home router. I just started and stopped dvtool 10 times, then each time scrolled to the bottom of the gateway list. This is the laptop running Vista. Internet is Time Warner cable. Home router is Linksys WRT150N. Here are the results:

                    W5NRU
                    WX4GPB
                    WX4GPB
                    W5NRU
                    W4AP
                    WB4GNA
                    W7URG
                    WX4GPB
                    WB4GNA
                    W5RNU

                    I think WX4GPB is indeed the last gateway, so for a work around, if you don't see the gateway you expect, it may be worth stopping and restarting dvtool.

                    Thanks again for the dstar fun!

                    73 -- John
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 7, 2009
                      It looks like they have not forwarded ports properly on their new router. This would cause exactly what you are seeing.