RE: [DVDongle] Re:DvDongle and Wireless Broadband Issues.

  • Woodrick, Ed
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009

      It’s not the fastest speed that is the issue, it is the slowest speed.

      Robin and I both have done a number of demos in locations where the high-speed capabilities didn’t exist and we were getting low speed data connections. And as far as I remember, we really haven’t had an issue with any of the carriers. I believe that there are even some truck drivers who use the DVDongle attached to laptops as they travel across the US.

      We had one demo at a State ARES in the middle of Georgia, kinda in the middle of nowhere. Definitely not 3G territory. Actually an area inside the building where you are surprised you are even getting basic phone coverage. The demo worked great. We’ve even had the KJ4BDF repeater connected to the Internet from the location.

      Ed WA4YIH

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009

        On several occasions I have used the DVDongle from Virginia to the Alabama Gulf Coast while using a Verizon Air Card.  I had no problems whatsoever.  That includes extensive time in the Smoky Mountains and on the Blue Ridge Parkway .

        I always used a Verizon card because that was what was available to borrow from work.  Nationally, we are about 80% Verizon, 15% AT&T, and 5% Sprint.  Those numbers represent contract preference, not user or network availability preference.  As an IT support person I get way more complaints about the AT&T service than the other 2 combined, but it is almost always due to service availability, not the quality (or speed) of the service.  As for quality of service, they all seem to be about equal as far as I am concerned.

        John, KD4EXS

        Birmingham, Alabama