RE: [DVDongle] DvDongle and Wireless Broadband Issues.

  • Dale Duke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009

      Don’t know about others, but I have had no problems using the AT&T usb aircard on a Acer Aspire One. Very pleased with the system, even in out of the way places like Comanche, Texas . Hope your luck is as good as mine.

      Dale - W5DUK

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009

        You will get the best coverage overall in the US is with Verizon, also I think the max speed is better as well.

        Ken

        KF4CZB

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009
           Technically, AT&T's network should now be slightly (very slightlly) faster than Verizon's CDMA/EVDO Rev A, but... their network is overloaded with iPhones in many areas.  That's rumored to start changing next week, with Verizon supposedly announcing an Apple product.  iPhone 3.0 software is also due to release, which unless AT&T makes Apple cripple it, has PC to phone tethering features for data, meaning even more traffic.

          But... one of the carriers gives you a "real" IP, and the other gives you a NAT'ed address that doesn't work well if you need INCOMING connections.  I forget which is which... and I don't have either dongle here to test with right now from friends... I've been holding out on getting one to see what happens with the phone tethering stuff on the iPhone.  (Blackberries and others have been able to do the tethering for a long time now...)

          I don't know the Dongle well enough to know if it cares, but I assume it uses a two-way socket that it establishes out-bound from the PC, which in theory would work with either network... but don't know.

          --
            Nate Duehr, WY0X
            nate@...

          On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 08:02 -0400, "Kenneth L. Bryant ARES/RACES" <email@...> wrote:

          You will get the best coverage overall in the US is with Verizon, also I think the max speed is better as well.

          Ken

          KF4CZB

        • Woodrick, Ed
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2009

            It’s not the fastest speed that is the issue, it is the slowest speed.

            Robin and I both have done a number of demos in locations where the high-speed capabilities didn’t exist and we were getting low speed data connections. And as far as I remember, we really haven’t had an issue with any of the carriers. I believe that there are even some truck drivers who use the DVDongle attached to laptops as they travel across the US.

            We had one demo at a State ARES in the middle of Georgia, kinda in the middle of nowhere. Definitely not 3G territory. Actually an area inside the building where you are surprised you are even getting basic phone coverage. The demo worked great. We’ve even had the KJ4BDF repeater connected to the Internet from the location.

            Ed WA4YIH

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009

              On several occasions I have used the DVDongle from Virginia to the Alabama Gulf Coast while using a Verizon Air Card.  I had no problems whatsoever.  That includes extensive time in the Smoky Mountains and on the Blue Ridge Parkway .

              I always used a Verizon card because that was what was available to borrow from work.  Nationally, we are about 80% Verizon, 15% AT&T, and 5% Sprint.  Those numbers represent contract preference, not user or network availability preference.  As an IT support person I get way more complaints about the AT&T service than the other 2 combined, but it is almost always due to service availability, not the quality (or speed) of the service.  As for quality of service, they all seem to be about equal as far as I am concerned.

              John, KD4EXS

              Birmingham, Alabama