Re: Unbuntu & Dell XPS1330?..

  • Swiger, Jeffrey M.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
      Matt, I'm trying ot use the Internal Mic, NO external connection I'm using other than the Dongle..
      BUT, I just thought Bluetooth built in, I wonder If anyone uses a Headset for the Dongle..
      I'd been reading, it seems under Linux the Dell Internal Mic is a problem, especially on the XPS-1330 notebook..
      NOW I have to remember who I lent my Headset to, I think this might work?
      Jeff-N8NOE

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <n0gik@...> wrote:

      > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
      >
      > Just a thought.
      >
      > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
      >
      > Matt

    • kg4vub
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
        Matt,
        This is a laptop he's talking about, using the internal mic.

        Jeff,
        I saw this thread
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/261018

        which included this:
        http://www.naysaying.com/blog/2008/10/fixing-low-microphone-volume-problem.html

        But results seemed to vary.

        Tom

        On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM, <n0gik@...> wrote:
        > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
        >
        > Just a thought.
        >
        > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
        >
        > Matt

      • Woodrick, Ed
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009

          My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.

          When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level as well.

          Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.

          Ed WA4YIH

          <n0gik@> wrote:

          > >> Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have
          > >> navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer'
          usually.

          > >> It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.
          > >>
          > >> 73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

        • kg4vub
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
            Ed,

            The point is moot. Even with external mic, the issue is with the system and OS.

            Tom

            On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Woodrick, Ed <ewoodrick@...> wrote:

            > My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.
            >

            > When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that
            > your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level
            > as well.
            >

            > Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.
            >

            > Ed WA4YIH

          • Woodrick, Ed
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009

              What about other users of the mic, like a media recorder or Skype?