Netbook Test Results

  • JP O'Connor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2009
      The default DVTool.jar uses a non-sizeable window that is too tall for the 1024 x 600 pixel screen of the Acer Aspire One (8.9" screen) and similar netbook computers. As a result, it is impossible to get to some of the important features... such as the "start" button.

      Robin pointed me to a beta version that uses tabs in a window that easily fits the 600 pixel vertical screen size. He expressed concern about the computer's ability to handle the process load, however. I promised to test and report here on the group discussion. I downloaded the version 1.10 Beta 5 jar file, found here:

      http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta5.jar

      Using this file instead of the default jar file, the application works perfectly. During tests ("Utilities" tab) and QSOs (on REF001C, including with Connie of course!) the CPU utilization of javaw.exe loafed along, almost always below 10% utilization and never spiked above 20%. Most importantly, audio in both directions sounded exactly as one expects with D-Star. This was over a 54 Mbps wireless LAN connection.

      The Acer Aspire One used for the test has a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270 (dual) processor, Windows XP, and 1 GB RAM. Screen resolution was set to the internal display maximum of 1024 x 600 pixels.

      73 de KJ4CUW