Re: [DVDongle] Unbuntu & Dell XPS1330?..

  • n0gik@n0gik.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2 9:11 AM
      Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have to
      navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer' usually.

      It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.

      73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2 10:04 PM
        Thanks, But this is the Intel Chipset and no Checkbox.
        This is perplexing me to no end. It's getting audio so I know it's on and working but so low it would never be heard.. I'll keep poking around, but again Thanks for the idea.
        Jeff-N8NOE

      • n0gik@n0gik.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3 1:44 PM
          Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?

          Just a thought.

          If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.

          Matt

          > Thanks, But this is the Intel Chipset and no Checkbox.
          > This is perplexing me to no end. It's getting audio so I know it's on and
          > working but so low it would never be heard.. I'll keep poking around, but
          > again Thanks for the idea.
          > Jeff-N8NOE
          >

          > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <n0gik@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have to
          >> navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer' usually.
          >>
          >> It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.
          >>
          >> 73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

        • Swiger, Jeffrey M.
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3 3:01 PM
            Matt, I'm trying ot use the Internal Mic, NO external connection I'm using other than the Dongle..
            BUT, I just thought Bluetooth built in, I wonder If anyone uses a Headset for the Dongle..
            I'd been reading, it seems under Linux the Dell Internal Mic is a problem, especially on the XPS-1330 notebook..
            NOW I have to remember who I lent my Headset to, I think this might work?
            Jeff-N8NOE

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <n0gik@...> wrote:

            > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
            >
            > Just a thought.
            >
            > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
            >
            > Matt

          • kg4vub
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3 3:15 PM
              Matt,
              This is a laptop he's talking about, using the internal mic.

              Jeff,
              I saw this thread
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/261018

              which included this:
              http://www.naysaying.com/blog/2008/10/fixing-low-microphone-volume-problem.html

              But results seemed to vary.

              Tom

              On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM, <n0gik@...> wrote:
              > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
              >
              > Just a thought.
              >
              > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
              >
              > Matt

            • Woodrick, Ed
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3 9:37 PM

                My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.

                When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level as well.

                Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.

                Ed WA4YIH

                <n0gik@> wrote:

                > >> Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have
                > >> navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer'
                usually.

                > >> It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.
                > >>
                > >> 73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

              • kg4vub
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4 8:18 AM
                  Ed,

                  The point is moot. Even with external mic, the issue is with the system and OS.

                  Tom

                  On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Woodrick, Ed <ewoodrick@...> wrote:

                  > My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.
                  >

                  > When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that
                  > your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level
                  > as well.
                  >

                  > Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.
                  >

                  > Ed WA4YIH

                • Woodrick, Ed
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4 4:10 PM

                    What about other users of the mic, like a media recorder or Skype?