Unbuntu & Dell XPS1330?..

  • Swiger, Jeffrey M.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
      Does anyone know how to get the MIC internal to the XPS1330 UP to a level that works? The input is really low, and I got the dongle working on OSX, Vista, XP just fine..
      Jeff-N8NOE
    • n0gik@n0gik.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
        Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have to
        navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer' usually.

        It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.

        73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

        > Does anyone know how to get the MIC internal to the XPS1330 UP to a level
        > that works? The input is really low, and I got the dongle working on OSX,
        > Vista, XP just fine..
        > Jeff-N8NOE

      • Swiger, Jeffrey M.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
          Thanks, But this is the Intel Chipset and no Checkbox.
          This is perplexing me to no end. It's getting audio so I know it's on and working but so low it would never be heard.. I'll keep poking around, but again Thanks for the idea.
          Jeff-N8NOE

        • n0gik@n0gik.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
            Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?

            Just a thought.

            If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.

            Matt

            > Thanks, But this is the Intel Chipset and no Checkbox.
            > This is perplexing me to no end. It's getting audio so I know it's on and
            > working but so low it would never be heard.. I'll keep poking around, but
            > again Thanks for the idea.
            > Jeff-N8NOE
            >

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <n0gik@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have to
            >> navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer' usually.
            >>
            >> It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.
            >>
            >> 73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

          • Swiger, Jeffrey M.
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
              Matt, I'm trying ot use the Internal Mic, NO external connection I'm using other than the Dongle..
              BUT, I just thought Bluetooth built in, I wonder If anyone uses a Headset for the Dongle..
              I'd been reading, it seems under Linux the Dell Internal Mic is a problem, especially on the XPS-1330 notebook..
              NOW I have to remember who I lent my Headset to, I think this might work?
              Jeff-N8NOE

              --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, <n0gik@...> wrote:

              > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
              >
              > Just a thought.
              >
              > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
              >
              > Matt

            • kg4vub
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
                Matt,
                This is a laptop he's talking about, using the internal mic.

                Jeff,
                I saw this thread
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/261018

                which included this:
                http://www.naysaying.com/blog/2008/10/fixing-low-microphone-volume-problem.html

                But results seemed to vary.

                Tom

                On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM, <n0gik@...> wrote:
                > Hmm... you SURE you're in the MIC jack and not the LINE IN jack?
                >
                > Just a thought.
                >
                > If nothing else, audio cards are really cheap these days.
                >
                > Matt

              • Woodrick, Ed
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009

                  My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.

                  When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level as well.

                  Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.

                  Ed WA4YIH

                  <n0gik@> wrote:

                  > >> Some MIC inputs have a '20db' checkbox for additional gain. Have
                  > >> navigate thru advanced properties from the 'recorder mixer'
                  usually.

                  > >> It's not on all chipsets AFAIK.
                  > >>
                  > >> 73 - Matt - Bettendorf, IA

                • kg4vub
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
                    Ed,

                    The point is moot. Even with external mic, the issue is with the system and OS.

                    Tom

                    On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Woodrick, Ed <ewoodrick@...> wrote:

                    > My recommendation is to NOT USE THE INTERNAL microphone of ANY computer.
                    >

                    > When the internal mic is used, the computer has to crank the AGC up so that
                    > your voice can be heard. When it does so, it increases the background level
                    > as well.
                    >

                    > Do us all a favor, use a headset like the Logitech.
                    >

                    > Ed WA4YIH

                  • Woodrick, Ed
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009

                      What about other users of the mic, like a media recorder or Skype?