Re: special event station

  • Dave Bushong
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

      > The special event station will be for what?
      >

      > On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 23:30 +0000, Tom wrote:
      > >

      > > TrainFestival2009
      > > [...]

      Google  is your friend
      Train Festival 2009 - July 23-26, 2009 Owosso, Michigan
      But speaking of the DVDongle, I was curious to know why in the original post there will be a distinction between "on-air" stations and "dongle" stations in the calling order?  I'm not questioning, but only asking for enlightenment.

      I believe there is a real need to deal with the pile-up issue that we saw at DAY and I'm anxious to see how this goes.  What about using some of the methods that have been used in some nets, that is, keying up for a full second in order to send your callsign only?  For example:
      The Southeastern Weather Net operates a little differently from other nets. The net is called alphabetically by state. Users are asked to check in by the "quick key" method. A "quick key" is unique to D-STAR in that as a station transmits, their call sign is sent. Taking advantage of that, all a user needs to do is to key down for about a second. The Net Control Stations are watching the transmission logs and can see each user as they key down. After all of the "quick keys," users are then asked to provide their name, location and any traffic for the net by voice.
      http://www.dstarinfo.com/Nets/SEWXNet.html

      All the best, and 73,
      Dave
      kz1o

      www.99hobbies.com

    • Tom Carpenter
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        It is a gathering of Steam locomotives from around the United States.  The 1225 Loco is home based in Owosso.  This the engine that they modeled the Train in Polar Express film.

        Tom
        KI8AS

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          In the reflector dash board you can see what calls are loged onto the reflector.  There for it would be easy to call up on them.  The idea of quick key sounds great.  I think it would work great when we call on each repeater on the dash board list then have the stations on that repeater do a quick key and call on them from the list gathered.

          Thanks for the idea.

          Tom
          KI8AS

          PS

          I will give a full report after the event to let every one know what the results are.