PTT grayed out - AGAIN (with solution)

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21, 2009
      I recently obtained a DVDongle at Dayton and installed the software without any apparent problems. I registered with the local D-Star repeater group as required. However, every time I logged on to the local repeater, the PTT button was grayed out and I could not transmit. I could hear just fine.

      All the tests with the mike worked fine. I had the appropriate audio in and audio out devices selected as noted in the directions.

      I was using DVTools version 1.05, which the instructions I followed from the website downloaded. I additionally had downloaded, per the instructions, the Java routine. I noted that the instructions showed a capture of the web site showing version 4 (I think it was) of Java. My version was 13.

      After much checking, I found out through a ham friend that he was using version 1.10beta3. I found several messages on the internet where people were using that version, but I could not find it. The links I found no longer worked. I rechecked the DVDongle website and the version downloading currently is 1.05. I could not find where to update to 1.10Beta3.

      My friend emailed me the .jar file of version 1.10beta3. I installed that in the dvtools directory after renaming the current .jar file so it would not overwrite it. I booted up Dvtools and found all worked well. The PTT button worked as planned and I was on the air!

      My guess is that the current version of Java is somehow incompatible with my setup. I have no idea if there is some other software interfering with Java or if the current version of Java is simply not compatible with version 1.05 of DVtools. I also have no idea why the other links to 1.10beta3 no longer work, unless some problem showed up with that version as well.

      At any rate, any having this problem with the PTT grayed out that is not related to a registration issue or conflict with the sound board might check their version of DVtools and try another version (if you can find it).

      FWIW.

      ............Bob W4DFW
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2009
        Hi Bob. The beta releases are announced in this yahoo group. Just look through previous messages. The current beta version is 1.10beta5. There were problems with beta3 and beta4 which were fixed in beta5. You can download the beta from http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta5.jar.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <hedodoc@...> wrote:

        > I recently obtained a DVDongle at Dayton and installed the software without any apparent problems. I registered with the local D-Star repeater group as required. However, every time I logged on to the local repeater, the PTT button was grayed out and I could not transmit. I could hear just fine.
        >
        > All the tests with the mike worked fine. I had the appropriate audio in and audio out devices selected as noted in the directions.
        >
        > I was using DVTools version 1.05, which the instructions I followed from the website downloaded. I additionally had downloaded, per the instructions, the Java routine. I noted that the instructions showed a capture of the web site showing version 4 (I think it was) of Java. My version was 13.
        >
        > After much checking, I found out through a ham friend that he was using version 1.10beta3. I found several messages on the internet where people were using that version, but I could not find it. The links I found no longer worked. I rechecked the DVDongle website and the version downloading currently is 1.05. I could not find where to update to 1.10Beta3.
        >
        > My friend emailed me the .jar file of version 1.10beta3. I installed that in the dvtools directory after renaming the current .jar file so it would not overwrite it. I booted up Dvtools and found all worked well. The PTT button worked as planned and I was on the air!
        >
        > My guess is that the current version of Java is somehow incompatible with my setup. I have no idea if there is some other software interfering with Java or if the current version of Java is simply not compatible with version 1.05 of DVtools. I also have no idea why the other links to 1.10beta3 no longer work, unless some problem showed up with that version as well.
        >
        > At any rate, any having this problem with the PTT grayed out that is not related to a registration issue or conflict with the sound board might check their version of DVtools and try another version (if you can find it).
        >
        > FWIW.
        >
        > ............Bob W4DFW

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          Thanks for the reply, Robin. Unfortunately, the link you provided does not work. Something strange with these beta versions!! :)

          ............Bob

          > Hi Bob. The beta releases are announced in this yahoo group. Just look through previous messages. The current beta version is 1.10beta5. There were problems with beta3 and beta4 which were fixed in beta5. You can download the beta from http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta5.jar.

          > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <hedodoc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently obtained a DVDongle at Dayton and installed the software without any apparent problems. I registered with the local D-Star repeater group as required. However, every time I logged on to the local repeater, the PTT button was grayed out and I could not transmit. I could hear just fine.
          > >
          > > All the tests with the mike worked fine. I had the appropriate audio in and audio out devices selected as noted in the directions.
          > >
          > > I was using DVTools version 1.05, which the instructions I followed from the website downloaded. I additionally had downloaded, per the instructions, the Java routine. I noted that the instructions showed a capture of the web site showing version 4 (I think it was) of Java. My version was 13.
          > >
          > > After much checking, I found out through a ham friend that he was using version 1.10beta3. I found several messages on the internet where people were using that version, but I could not find it. The links I found no longer worked. I rechecked the DVDongle website and the version downloading currently is 1.05. I could not find where to update to 1.10Beta3.
          > >
          > > My friend emailed me the .jar file of version 1.10beta3. I installed that in the dvtools directory after renaming the current .jar file so it would not overwrite it. I booted up Dvtools and found all worked well. The PTT button worked as planned and I was on the air!
          > >
          > > My guess is that the current version of Java is somehow incompatible with my setup. I have no idea if there is some other software interfering with Java or if the current version of Java is simply not compatible with version 1.05 of DVtools. I also have no idea why the other links to 1.10beta3 no longer work, unless some problem showed up with that version as well.
          > >
          > > At any rate, any having this problem with the PTT grayed out that is not related to a registration issue or conflict with the sound board might check their version of DVtools and try another version (if you can find it).
          > >
          > > FWIW.
          > >
          > > ............Bob W4DFW

        • kg4vub
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            Hey Bob,

            I just clicked on the link and was able to download it. Check, make
            sure the period at the end of the link isn't getting pulled/pasted
            into your browser?

            Tom

            On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Bob <hedodoc@...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the reply, Robin.  Unfortunately, the link you provided does not work.  Something strange with these beta versions!! :)
            >
            > ............Bob
            >

            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Bob.  The beta releases are announced in this yahoo group.  Just look through previous messages.  The current beta version is 1.10beta5.  There were problems with beta3 and beta4 which were fixed in beta5.  You can download the beta from http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta5.jar.
            >>

            >> 73,
            >> Robin
            >> AA4RC
            >>

            >> --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <hedodoc@> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I recently obtained a DVDongle at Dayton and installed the software without any apparent problems.  I registered with the local D-Star repeater group as required.  However, every time I logged on to the local repeater, the PTT button was grayed out and I could not transmit.  I could hear just fine.
            >> >
            >> > All the tests with the mike worked fine.  I had the appropriate audio in and audio out devices selected as noted in the directions.
            >> >
            >> > I was using DVTools version 1.05, which the instructions I followed from the website downloaded. I additionally had downloaded, per the instructions, the Java routine. I noted that the instructions showed a capture of the web site showing version 4 (I think it was) of Java.  My version was 13.
            >> >
            >> > After much checking, I found out through a ham friend that he was using version 1.10beta3.  I found several messages on the internet where people were using that version, but I could not find it.  The links I found no longer worked.  I rechecked the DVDongle website and the version downloading currently is 1.05.  I could not find where to update to 1.10Beta3.
            >> >
            >> > My friend emailed me the .jar file of version 1.10beta3.  I installed that in the dvtools directory after renaming the current .jar file so it would not overwrite it. I booted up Dvtools and found all worked well.  The PTT button worked as planned and I was on the air!
            >> >
            >> > My guess is that the current version of Java is somehow incompatible with my setup.  I have no idea if there is some other software interfering with Java or if the current version of Java is simply not compatible with version 1.05 of DVtools.  I also have no idea why the other links to 1.10beta3 no longer work, unless some problem showed up with that version as well.
            >> >
            >> > At any rate, any having this problem with the PTT grayed out that is not related to a registration issue or conflict with the sound board might check their version of DVtools and try another version (if you can find it).
            >> >
            >> > FWIW.
            >> >
            >> > ............Bob W4DFW

          • Leanne
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
              I am running jre 1.6.0_07 with the beta DVTool v 1.05 with no problems. I
              would try changing the Java back to the 1.6 and see what happens. I had
              problems with 1.10 java and went back to the original I was using.

              Leanne W1WXS