Icom ID-1 installed along with DV Dongle

  • Mitch K6BK
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2009
      I have an Icom ID-1 D-STAR 1.2 GHz radio installed along with the
      Dongle on a PC running XP. The ID-1 also uses an FTDI driver for UART
      serial conversion on its USB port similarly to the Dongle. I have
      had trouble with the installation of these together (on a PC running
      XP) although each worked the first time installed separately without
      the other.

      After quite a few trys I learned that the ID-1 would not initialize
      due to a Port Error unless its driver was installed first, before the
      Dongle. The Device Manager did not report any problems, but it just
      would not work until both were uninstalled and the ID-1 installed
      first. And installing the ID-1 after the Dongle also caused it to
      have Login Failure even if its port would open.

      In my system the ID-1 FTDIBUS driver uses COM4, and then the Dongle
      installs on COM3, but if the ID-1 is turned off the Dongle will work
      on either COM3 or COM4. For some reason the Dongle always starts on
      COM4, taking the ID-1's port away, so if I want to turn on the ID-1
      the Dongle must be changed over to COM3.

      Then both the ID-1 and the Dongle will run fine at the same time,
      but I was only successful after several attempts installing, going
      around and around rebooting with the Hardware Found wizards trying to
      eliminate the port and driver conflicts. Most of that time, about an
      hour of trying, I was always getting Port Error on the ID-1, and
      either Port or Login Failure on the Dongle.

      I wonder if anyone else has an Icom ID-1 on their computer along with
      the Dongle, and if they had a similar experience? - Mitch K6BK