Re: [DVDongle] Re: How to change /DNGL?

  • John Hays
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009

      On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

      On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:21:50 -0400, "Mark Phillips" <g7ltt@g7ltt. com>
      said:
      > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
      > what do users really care how I connect to them?

      Actually it's useful to them to know that they can't even attempt to
      callsign route to you... so yeah, it's useful.

      Nate WY0X
      --
      Nate Duehr
      nate@natetech. com

      Nate is correct. The way that DPLUS is implemented means that DV Dongle for all intents and purposes is a "second class citizen" on the D-STAR network, it is good for other operators to know that the station is a DV Dongle in this implementation.  The direction I would like to see DV Dongle like services go in the future is that the DV Dongles authenticate against servers that to the rest of the network look like another gateway, then the DV Dongle could, through that server, appear just like any other D-STAR endpoint. You could route to it, etc.

      John Hays
      Amateur Radio: K7VE

    • Dave Foran
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
        So as I have observed this thread for a day or 2 too many, begs this question

        What kind of "whine" do you want with your cheese..

        Sorry you are so bitter about ICOM.

        Dave, WB8APD,  a dongle and Dstar owner and user

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009

          On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

          The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?

          And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
          that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?

          I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
          to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
          achieved from my station without any Icom products.

          I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
          because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?

          Mark,

          You are just being antagonistic now. Bravo on your D-STAR activities using non-Icom equipment.  Icom has nothing to do with the DV Dongle.  You have a couple of options, write your own DV Dongle software or convince Robin (AA4RC) that changing his program to meet your "wants" is good for the community.  (If you write your own, coordinate with Robin, so it doesn't break anything.)

          John Hays
          Amateur Radio: K7VE

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
            Sorry Mark. It is not configurable.

            Let's go ahead an close this thread please.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

            > The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?
            >

            > And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
            > that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?
            >
            > I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
            > to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
            > achieved from my station without any Icom products.
            >
            > I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
            > because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?
            >

            > On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 02:40 +0000, ki4umx wrote:
            > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
            > > > what do users really care how I connect to them?
            > > >
            > > Mark,
            > >
            > > Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.
            > >
            > > Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.
            > >
            > > The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).
            > >
            > > Hank - KI4UMX
            > >

            > --
            >

            > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
            > Randolph, NJ