Re: [DVDongle] Re: How to change /DNGL?

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2009
      Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
      what do users really care how I connect to them?

      I think my car dealership analogy is spot on. You drive your car around
      that you paid your hard earned money for and it tells everyone behind
      you where you got it. I use my DVDongle and it tells everyone that I'm
      using a dongle.

      Mark

      On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:14 +0000, John Davis wrote:
      > Not a bad idea, Mark, but there are benefits for other users to see it is a Dongle user coming in instead of radio. You do have the message line for other info such as name and location.
      >
      > Calling it advertising might be a bit harsh, though, and the car dealership analogy was definitely a reach.
      >
      > John
      > WB4QDX
      >
      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > Anyone know how to change the /DNGL to something else? I'd like it to
      > > say my name rather than be an advert for something I've paid good money
      > > for.
      > >
      > > I consider this akin to a car dealership defacing the back of a car
      > > you've bought from them.
      > >

      > > --
      > >

      > > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      > > Randolph, NJ

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ
    • ki4umx
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2009
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
        > what do users really care how I connect to them?

        Mark,

        Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.

        Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.

        The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).

        Hank - KI4UMX
      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2009
          On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:21:50 -0400, "Mark Phillips" <g7ltt@...>
          said:
          > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
          > what do users really care how I connect to them?

          Actually it's useful to them to know that they can't even attempt to
          callsign route to you... so yeah, it's useful.

          Nate WY0X
          --
          Nate Duehr
          nate@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
            The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?

            And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
            that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?

            I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
            to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
            achieved from my station without any Icom products.

            I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
            because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?

            --

            Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
            Randolph, NJ
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009

              On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

              On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:21:50 -0400, "Mark Phillips" <g7ltt@g7ltt. com>
              said:
              > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
              > what do users really care how I connect to them?

              Actually it's useful to them to know that they can't even attempt to
              callsign route to you... so yeah, it's useful.

              Nate WY0X
              --
              Nate Duehr
              nate@natetech. com

              Nate is correct. The way that DPLUS is implemented means that DV Dongle for all intents and purposes is a "second class citizen" on the D-STAR network, it is good for other operators to know that the station is a DV Dongle in this implementation.  The direction I would like to see DV Dongle like services go in the future is that the DV Dongles authenticate against servers that to the rest of the network look like another gateway, then the DV Dongle could, through that server, appear just like any other D-STAR endpoint. You could route to it, etc.

              John Hays
              Amateur Radio: K7VE

            • John Hays
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009

                On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:40 PM, ki4umx wrote:

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

                > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
                > what do users really care how I connect to them?

                Mark,

                Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.

                Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.

                The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).

                Hank - KI4UMX

                In the protocol the four octets (characters) are for a "comment" -- Icom manuals use examples that suit their purposes, but in reality they are operator choice - One case that is very useful is for cross-jurisdiction operation.  For example when I cross the border into British Columbia (90 minutes away) I can use the comment to indicate "VE7" so on the receiving station's display it would read K7VE    /VE7

                Users do  care as pointed out in other posts, because of callsign routing limitations on DV Dongles.

                John Hays
                Amateur Radio: K7VE

              • Dave Foran
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
                  So as I have observed this thread for a day or 2 too many, begs this question

                  What kind of "whine" do you want with your cheese..

                  Sorry you are so bitter about ICOM.

                  Dave, WB8APD,  a dongle and Dstar owner and user

                  --

                  Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                  Randolph, NJ

                • John Hays
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009

                    On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

                    The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?

                    And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
                    that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?

                    I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
                    to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
                    achieved from my station without any Icom products.

                    I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
                    because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?

                    Mark,

                    You are just being antagonistic now. Bravo on your D-STAR activities using non-Icom equipment.  Icom has nothing to do with the DV Dongle.  You have a couple of options, write your own DV Dongle software or convince Robin (AA4RC) that changing his program to meet your "wants" is good for the community.  (If you write your own, coordinate with Robin, so it doesn't break anything.)

                    John Hays
                    Amateur Radio: K7VE

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
                      Sorry Mark. It is not configurable.

                      Let's go ahead an close this thread please.

                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

                      > The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?
                      >

                      > And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
                      > that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?
                      >
                      > I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
                      > to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
                      > achieved from my station without any Icom products.
                      >
                      > I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
                      > because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?
                      >

                      > On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 02:40 +0000, ki4umx wrote:
                      > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
                      > > > what do users really care how I connect to them?
                      > > >
                      > > Mark,
                      > >
                      > > Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.
                      > >
                      > > Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.
                      > >
                      > > The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).
                      > >
                      > > Hank - KI4UMX
                      > >

                      > --
                      >

                      > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                      > Randolph, NJ