How to change /DNGL?

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6 9:20 AM
      Hi all,

      Anyone know how to change the /DNGL to something else? I'd like it to
      say my name rather than be an advert for something I've paid good money
      for.

      I consider this akin to a car dealership defacing the back of a car
      you've bought from them.

      --

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6 10:14 AM
        Not a bad idea, Mark, but there are benefits for other users to see it is a Dongle user coming in instead of radio. You do have the message line for other info such as name and location.

        Calling it advertising might be a bit harsh, though, and the car dealership analogy was definitely a reach.

        John
        WB4QDX

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Anyone know how to change the /DNGL to something else? I'd like it to
        > say my name rather than be an advert for something I've paid good money
        > for.
        >
        > I consider this akin to a car dealership defacing the back of a car
        > you've bought from them.
        >

        > --
        >

        > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
        > Randolph, NJ

      • Mark Phillips
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6 3:21 PM
          Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
          what do users really care how I connect to them?

          I think my car dealership analogy is spot on. You drive your car around
          that you paid your hard earned money for and it tells everyone behind
          you where you got it. I use my DVDongle and it tells everyone that I'm
          using a dongle.

          Mark

          On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:14 +0000, John Davis wrote:
          > Not a bad idea, Mark, but there are benefits for other users to see it is a Dongle user coming in instead of radio. You do have the message line for other info such as name and location.
          >
          > Calling it advertising might be a bit harsh, though, and the car dealership analogy was definitely a reach.
          >
          > John
          > WB4QDX
          >
          > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Anyone know how to change the /DNGL to something else? I'd like it to
          > > say my name rather than be an advert for something I've paid good money
          > > for.
          > >
          > > I consider this akin to a car dealership defacing the back of a car
          > > you've bought from them.
          > >

          > > --
          > >

          > > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
          > > Randolph, NJ

          Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
          Randolph, NJ
        • ki4umx
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6 7:40 PM
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

            > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
            > what do users really care how I connect to them?

            Mark,

            Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.

            Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.

            The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).

            Hank - KI4UMX
          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6 9:27 PM
              On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:21:50 -0400, "Mark Phillips" <g7ltt@...>
              said:
              > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
              > what do users really care how I connect to them?

              Actually it's useful to them to know that they can't even attempt to
              callsign route to you... so yeah, it's useful.

              Nate WY0X
              --
              Nate Duehr
              nate@...
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7 6:08 AM
                The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?

                And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
                that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?

                I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
                to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
                achieved from my station without any Icom products.

                I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
                because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?

                --

                Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                Randolph, NJ
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7 9:51 AM

                  On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:27 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

                  On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:21:50 -0400, "Mark Phillips" <g7ltt@g7ltt. com>
                  said:
                  > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
                  > what do users really care how I connect to them?

                  Actually it's useful to them to know that they can't even attempt to
                  callsign route to you... so yeah, it's useful.

                  Nate WY0X
                  --
                  Nate Duehr
                  nate@natetech. com

                  Nate is correct. The way that DPLUS is implemented means that DV Dongle for all intents and purposes is a "second class citizen" on the D-STAR network, it is good for other operators to know that the station is a DV Dongle in this implementation.  The direction I would like to see DV Dongle like services go in the future is that the DV Dongles authenticate against servers that to the rest of the network look like another gateway, then the DV Dongle could, through that server, appear just like any other D-STAR endpoint. You could route to it, etc.

                  John Hays
                  Amateur Radio: K7VE

                • John Hays
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7 10:01 AM

                    On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:40 PM, ki4umx wrote:

                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

                    > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
                    > what do users really care how I connect to them?

                    Mark,

                    Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.

                    Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.

                    The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).

                    Hank - KI4UMX

                    In the protocol the four octets (characters) are for a "comment" -- Icom manuals use examples that suit their purposes, but in reality they are operator choice - One case that is very useful is for cross-jurisdiction operation.  For example when I cross the border into British Columbia (90 minutes away) I can use the comment to indicate "VE7" so on the receiving station's display it would read K7VE    /VE7

                    Users do  care as pointed out in other posts, because of callsign routing limitations on DV Dongles.

                    John Hays
                    Amateur Radio: K7VE

                  • Dave Foran
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7 11:14 AM
                      So as I have observed this thread for a day or 2 too many, begs this question

                      What kind of "whine" do you want with your cheese..

                      Sorry you are so bitter about ICOM.

                      Dave, WB8APD,  a dongle and Dstar owner and user

                      --

                      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                      Randolph, NJ

                    • John Hays
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7 11:23 AM

                        On Apr 7, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:

                        The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?

                        And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
                        that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?

                        I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
                        to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
                        achieved from my station without any Icom products.

                        I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
                        because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?

                        Mark,

                        You are just being antagonistic now. Bravo on your D-STAR activities using non-Icom equipment.  Icom has nothing to do with the DV Dongle.  You have a couple of options, write your own DV Dongle software or convince Robin (AA4RC) that changing his program to meet your "wants" is good for the community.  (If you write your own, coordinate with Robin, so it doesn't break anything.)

                        John Hays
                        Amateur Radio: K7VE

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 7 11:31 AM
                          Sorry Mark. It is not configurable.

                          Let's go ahead an close this thread please.

                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

                          > The fact remains that I want to change it. How is this done?
                          >

                          > And because Icom state that this field is for a particular use means
                          > that it must be so? Since when did Icom dictate the spec?
                          >
                          > I am pleased to state that I own no Icom equipment and yet am fully able
                          > to participate in JARL's D-STAR project. Both RF and Internet are
                          > achieved from my station without any Icom products.
                          >
                          > I suppose next someone will tell me that I can't do D-STAR on 10M
                          > because Icom doesn't make any equipment for that band?
                          >

                          > On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 02:40 +0000, ki4umx wrote:
                          > > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Perhaps I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm a dongle user. And
                          > > > what do users really care how I connect to them?
                          > > >
                          > > Mark,
                          > >
                          > > Users may not care, but the D-Star system DOES CARE. The Reflectors and Repeaters have two log in lists - one for repeaters and one for dongle users. It would probably take a major redesign of the system to change that.
                          > >
                          > > Dongle is NOT a brand name, it is a generic term for one of many computer attachments - it has been in use since the early 1980's.
                          > >
                          > > The Icom users manuals indicate that field was provided so you you could enter your equipment type (2820, 92AD, DNGL, etc) or location (Grid Square).
                          > >
                          > > Hank - KI4UMX
                          > >

                          > --
                          >

                          > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
                          > Randolph, NJ