DVDongle Pulsating - Sharing My Resolution

  • Norm Johnson aa7oo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2009
      This DVDongle is almost a year old with no hardware or PC problems from day one; not counting operator error.

      Its running on DVtool beta 5; last week java was upgraded to 13; and all was well for a few days with No Problems!

      Yesterday I went to record a message file using the dongle. The recording played back like it was pulsating, not artifacting or r2d2, and sounded like it was dropping packets. The respective dvtool logs showed nothing abnormal. Further observation of the dongle hardware showed the (green light working normal) but the two connection lights flickering in a odd pulsating way while recording. This behavior was duplicated when connected to a gateway; voice was pulsating (may have sounded like r2d2 to some but was more like dropped packets).

      After hours of finding no problems with software and changing USB physical and logical ports for the headset and the dongle; and fearing either a java or dvdongle hardware problem; I remembered, this is "Windows"; and things just happen. And the pc has been running for a little more than a month.

      The "the three finger salute" is a Windows resolution for many things that go bump in the dark. This is not a warm "reboot", its a "shutdown" followed by a manual "cold boot". A cold boot is almost a "fresh" start for everything within the PC. (yes, I'm slowly figuring out how to migrate all my software apps to Linux).

      All is well again. No outstanding issues with the DVDongle. It works and just keeps on ticking. Thanks Robin!

      Norm aa7oo