Bandwidth Requirements

  • Jeff Davis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
      With the Windows 7 (x64) beta and DV-Dongle test a failure, I've moved
      on to another machine.

      Specs on this one are exactly the same except for the OS:

      Vista Home Premium (x32) SP-1
      Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5GHz, 2.5GHz
      4.00 GB of RAM

      The driver and application work well on this machine.

      I do notice that the connection with the Dongle is frequently dropped
      when using it via the wireless network. 802.11G with a Linksys router
      and excellent signal strength.

      When bypassing the wireless and connected directly to the router there
      are no dropout issues which begs the question; how much bandwidth is
      required to successfully use the Dongle?

      Thanks.
      --
      Jeff, KE9V
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
        Hi Jeff. The voice/data streams can take up to 10kbps each with a maximum of three concurrent streams to any given DV Dongle. Some folks have used dialup connections to run the DVTool application but that's probably cutting it a bit close. I use a Cingular 3G aircard all the time and it works well.

        There are a couple of problems that we've seen with wifi networks. First, you can have significant dropouts when there is RF interference with your wifi link. Second, you can get variable latency when there are link level retransmissions. Both of these can cause issues with a near real time voip application.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Davis <jeff@...> wrote:

        > With the Windows 7 (x64) beta and DV-Dongle test a failure, I've moved
        > on to another machine.
        >
        > Specs on this one are exactly the same except for the OS:
        >
        > Vista Home Premium (x32) SP-1
        > Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5GHz, 2.5GHz
        > 4.00 GB of RAM
        >
        > The driver and application work well on this machine.
        >
        > I do notice that the connection with the Dongle is frequently dropped
        > when using it via the wireless network. 802.11G with a Linksys router
        > and excellent signal strength.
        >
        > When bypassing the wireless and connected directly to the router there
        > are no dropout issues which begs the question; how much bandwidth is
        > required to successfully use the Dongle?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > --
        > Jeff, KE9V

      • Jeff Davis
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
          On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Robin Cutshaw <aa4rc@...> wrote:
          > Hi Jeff.  The voice/data streams can take up to 10kbps each with a maximum of three concurrent streams to any given DV Dongle.

          Thanks for that info Robin. It is consistent with what I am seeing here.

          Next step is to attempt an install on my Ubuntu laptop. I'm preparing
          for a long trip out of town beginning in about ten days and would like
          to only carry one laptop with me, preferably the Ubuntu machine, so
          this week has been a lot of testing on different hardware and
          architecture.

          Much appreciated.

          Jeff, KE9V