R2 D2 sounds

  • wr hatfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
      For some reason the last few times I have tried to use my Dongle, all I am getting out of the speakers are the R2D2 sounds. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?

      thanks
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2009
        R2D2 sounds are generated on the RF side of D-Star. If you hear them, they were created between someone's radio and their repeater. The DV Dongle cannot create them during transmit nor receive (but will repeat them if they are there). You may hear audio "drop outs" when packets are lost on the internet but that does not sound like R2D2.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "wr hatfield" <kd5jjp@...> wrote:

        > For some reason the last few times I have tried to use my Dongle, all I am getting out of the speakers are the R2D2 sounds. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?
        >
        > thanks

      • Wayne Hatfield
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009

          <:))))><

           So what does a "drop out" sound like? What I am hearing is so garbled I have to turn the dongle off. You would think it would stop after a few minutes, but no. I wonder if these sounds happen on a DStar radio?

          Wayne, kd5jjp

          To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
          From: aa4rc@...
          Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:29:09 +0000
          Subject: [DVDongle] Re: R2 D2 sounds

          R2D2 sounds are generated on the RF side of D-Star. If you hear them, they were created between someone's radio and their repeater. The DV Dongle cannot create them during transmit nor receive (but will repeat them if they are there). You may hear audio "drop outs" when packets are lost on the internet but that does not sound like R2D2.

          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com, "wr hatfield" <kd5jjp@...> wrote:

          > For some reason the last few times I have tried to use my Dongle, all I am getting out of the speakers are the R2D2 sounds. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong?
          >
          > thanks

          Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
        • Nate Duehr
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 12, 2009

            What repeater are you connected to?  Do you hear it on ALL repeaters/reflectors, or just one?

            Nate WY0X

            To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
            From: aa4rc@...
            Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:29:09 +0000

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009
              I have tried serveral, it does not matter right now I am on W5SHV and am hearing the sounds, I have used Ref 1 and hear the same thing.Just turned over to REF 1 to see if it is coming though and yes it is. WA6YTD is talking to VA3KY  time is 11:00 CST Friday

              To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
              From: nate@...
              Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:13:44 -0600

              To: DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com
              From: aa4rc@interlabs. com
              Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:29:09 +0000

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009

                Oh, Something I forgot this garbled speech goes on for as long as I have the Dongle own.

                To: dvdongle@yahoogroups.com
                From: kd5jjp@...
                Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:01:35 -0500

                To: DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com
                From: nate@natetech. com
                Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:13:44 -0600

                To: DVDongle@yahoogroup s.com
                From: aa4rc@interlabs. com
                Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:29:09 +0000

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 13, 2009

                  Ah, I didn’t realize you had the ability to listen on-air also.

                  With that as a comparison, nothing sounds wrong with your Dongle… you’re just experiencing “garbage in, garbage out”…

                  The problem’s likely the RF at the other end…

                  All you can do in that situation is tell the other station that their signal, well… I believe the technical term is… “sucks.”

                  LOL!  (GRIN!!!)

                  Nate WY0X