Dongle Broke!

  • jcherepy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
      On advise of counsel er Robin I downgraded to Java update 7 and now
      the Ol' Dongle ain't flyin'. I get Windoze doesn't know what program
      to use. I tried adding Java to my Path, no joy. I tried changing
      "Opens with" to java.exe. Nope. Tried javaw.exe. Bombs. Tried
      java-rmi-exe. Doesn't work. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any
      suggestions? Oh yeah, I using Vista 64.

      Thanks,
      Bill WB4WTN
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        Did you reboot after installing? The java install places java.exe in
        \windows\system32 folder so it looks like your install was not
        complete. I'd uninstall and then reinstall and make sure java.exe is
        there.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "jcherepy" <jcherepy@...> wrote:

        > On advise of counsel er Robin I downgraded to Java update 7 and now
        > the Ol' Dongle ain't flyin'. I get Windoze doesn't know what program
        > to use. I tried adding Java to my Path, no joy. I tried changing
        > "Opens with" to java.exe. Nope. Tried javaw.exe. Bombs. Tried
        > java-rmi-exe. Doesn't work. I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any
        > suggestions? Oh yeah, I using Vista 64.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bill WB4WTN

      • Bill Cherepy
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
          Robin Cutshaw wrote:

          > Did you reboot after installing? The java install places java.exe in
          > \windows\system32 folder so it looks like your install was not
          > complete. I'd uninstall and then reinstall and make sure java.exe is
          > there.
          >
          > .

          I uninstalled, restarted, installed Java, restarted, and still doesn't
          work. I did a search and the only java.exe is in the C:\Program
          Files\Java\jre1-6.0_07\bin folder.
          If I click on beta4 a Command Prompt window flashes up briefly, but too
          fast to read.
          For some reason though, I took the dvtool.bat and edited it to run
          beta4, and that works, so I can still (and do) use the Dongle. Goofy
          Windoze 64.

          Bill
        • Tom Fox, KI4QQQ
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Ok, then here's your fix:

            Right-click My Computer and click Properties
            Click the Advanced tab
            Click the Environment Variables button

            In the lower pane (System variables), locate the variable PATH and
            double-click it (or click it once, then click the edit button).
            At the end of the line, add:

            ;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1-6.0_07\bin

            Make sure to include that preceding semicolon.

            Click OK then click OK again.

            Reboot and that will be in your path and it should run normally.

            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...> wrote:

            > Robin Cutshaw wrote:
            > >
            > > Did you reboot after installing? The java install places java.exe in
            > > \windows\system32 folder so it looks like your install was not
            > > complete. I'd uninstall and then reinstall and make sure java.exe is
            > > there.
            > >
            > > .
            > >

            > I uninstalled, restarted, installed Java, restarted, and still doesn't
            > work. I did a search and the only java.exe is in the C:\Program
            > Files\Java\jre1-6.0_07\bin folder.
            > If I click on beta4 a Command Prompt window flashes up briefly, but too
            > fast to read.
            > For some reason though, I took the dvtool.bat and edited it to run
            > beta4, and that works, so I can still (and do) use the Dongle. Goofy
            > Windoze 64.
            >
            > Bill

          • John Davis
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009

              I thought you were working well with Java Update 12.  Did it break?

              John