Re: Dongle not working

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2009
      Hi Tom. Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. I've found
      that some PC's simply won't run the DV Dongle application. This past
      week I helped a friend with his XP based laptop and it just would not
      run. The laptop took 10 minutes to boot and would take 15 to 30
      seconds for IE to come up. Wiping the laptop and reloading XP fixed
      the problem. Over time, Windows XP can get pretty bogged down with
      little applications that grab memory and CPU resources. We also saw a
      problem with a couple of laptops that were using a tethered blackberry
      for internet. The drivers from the blackberry install were interfering
      with the DV Dongle. We ran ftdiclean and reinstalled the drivers and
      everything started working.

      Have you tried this on another computer?

      Some things to consider:

      1) defrag your hard disk
      2) remove any unused software
      3) make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements
      4) turn off windows firewall or other firewall programs
      5) use wired network connections, not wireless
      6) go to the ftdichip.com web site and download the ftdiclean program
      and run it. Then reinstall the latest FTDI VCP drivers from their site.
      7) make sure you don't have any instant messenger clients running.
      8) make sure you are not running the Java 1.6.0 update later than 7.

      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <mwtomcat@...> wrote:

      > I don't think I have ever been so unhappy about a item as this DONGLE.
      > I have tried every thing suggested to me,including purchased logitech
      > headphones and a regfix program thinking that there is something wrong
      > with my PC to get it to work.
      > The latest is that it keeps dropping out after pressing (open) many
      times,
      > and when I eventually get it to stay connected it will not connect to
      > any repeater, so no audio at all now.
      > I would like to try one more thing.
      > Please will some one tell me how to start all over again, meaning to
      > get red of every thing including any hidden files, as whence you have
      > installed it the wizard will not work trying to reinstall it again.
      > How do you return it as I cannot prove it wont work and will the place
      > I purchased it from except it back??
      > Thanks
      > Tom

    • moderndrummer1
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2009
        Hi Tom,

        I had issues also. I worked them out by using the Dongle on a system
        that met the min. requirements. I had tried to use it on my little
        netbook and not enough power was there is run it properly. I loaded
        it on my other desktop computer and bravo it works. I just got off
        the REF005 talking to London, UK. Also I was getting a clear signal
        using the Logitech headphones I have. Good Luck! 73's K9AOS

        > Hi Tom. Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. I've
        found
        > that some PC's simply won't run the DV Dongle application. This
        past
        > week I helped a friend with his XP based laptop and it just would
        not
        > run. The laptop took 10 minutes to boot and would take 15 to 30
        > seconds for IE to come up. Wiping the laptop and reloading XP
        fixed
        > the problem. Over time, Windows XP can get pretty bogged down with
        > little applications that grab memory and CPU resources. We also
        saw a
        > problem with a couple of laptops that were using a tethered
        blackberry
        > for internet. The drivers from the blackberry install were
        interfering
        > with the DV Dongle. We ran ftdiclean and reinstalled the drivers
        and
        > everything started working.
        >
        > Have you tried this on another computer?
        >
        > Some things to consider:
        >
        > 1) defrag your hard disk
        > 2) remove any unused software
        > 3) make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements
        > 4) turn off windows firewall or other firewall programs
        > 5) use wired network connections, not wireless
        > 6) go to the ftdichip.com web site and download the ftdiclean
        program
        > and run it. Then reinstall the latest FTDI VCP drivers from their
        site.
        > 7) make sure you don't have any instant messenger clients running.
        > 8) make sure you are not running the Java 1.6.0 update later than 7.

        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <mwtomcat@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't think I have ever been so unhappy about a item as this
        DONGLE.
        > > I have tried every thing suggested to me,including purchased
        logitech
        > > headphones and a regfix program thinking that there is something
        wrong
        > > with my PC to get it to work.
        > > The latest is that it keeps dropping out after pressing (open)
        many
        > times,
        > > and when I eventually get it to stay connected it will not
        connect to
        > > any repeater, so no audio at all now.
        > > I would like to try one more thing.
        > > Please will some one tell me how to start all over again, meaning
        > > get red of every thing including any hidden files, as whence you
        have
        > > installed it the wizard will not work trying to reinstall it
        again.
        > > How do you return it as I cannot prove it wont work and will the
        place
        > > I purchased it from except it back??
        > > Thanks
        > > Tom

      • ipscone
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2009
          It sounds like the same problem I have. I'm using a vista system.

          Often the COM connection will simply timeout and not connect, when I click OPEN. I suspect the same thing can happen once it is opened. I'm going to try mine on a laptop tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

          Mike