Re: [DVDongle] DVTool and ascpseriald on a Mac

  • Jay Maynard
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2009
      On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 05:29:09PM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
      > The real answer is to use something like the Windows equivalent of
      > %AppDir% in these hardcoded paths in the software, but Java itself is
      > probably limiting what Robin can do with that.

      I wrote and published a fix to allow doing precisely that a while back. You
      don't have to do anything in Java; you just have to figure out where the
      application was launched from and cd to that before starting the program. I,
      too, keep nothing on my desktop, and put every application in /Applications.
      --
      Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
      http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 16, 2009

        > Well, this is probably an RTFM. As stated in the installation
        > instructions, "download the DVTool tarball and extract to your
        > Desktop"...
        > The FAQ also states "The Java program DVTool.java calls
        > the included ascpseriald and must be located in the same folder"...

        Actually, from the installation URL:

        http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Installation.html :

        "The DVTool application will only run on Leopard or later due to the version of Java
        provided by Apple. Install FTDI drivers from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
        prior to connecting the DVDongle. Once installed, plug in the DV Dongle and download
        the DVTool tarball at http://www.dvdongle.com/downloads/DVTool-dist.tgz and extract
        to your Desktop. You can then proceed to the Using the DV Dongle page listed at the top
        of this page. Note that special drivers from FTDI are required for multi CPU Mac's."

        There is nothing in these installation instructions that speak to consolidating files under a
        single folder, or that DVTool is a hard coded desktop folder pointer.

        The Faq states:

        "The Java program DVTool.java calls the included ascpseriald.exe (or .lnx or .mac) and
        must be located in the same folder."

        The problem here is that there is no DVTool.java in the v1.05 tgz distribution. DVTool is
        included as a binary with no file extension. Yet the Faq speaks specifically to DVTool.java,
        thus the instruction is ambiguous to non-Java programers at best.

        Please do not misunderstand. I really appreciate the time and effort in writing the
        application especially for cross-platform use. I just wanted to save myself and others who
        want to get up and operating quickly on a dongle some time and effort by dropping a
        consolidated reference post where it could be found if needed.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
          As you mentioned below, it should be extracted to the desktop and the
          programs should be located in the same folder. Again, if you follow
          the instructions, it works. If you decide to change things, it may
          or may not work.