Re: DV-Dongel Buy or not to Buy

  • g3vvt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2009
      Hi Tom,

      Use a DV Dongle by necessity living too far from the larger areas of population, so this was the only answer at present in my case.

      Works very well and does show how good the D-Star system can work particularly with a well set up DV Dongle at each end. However, am not impressed with the audio quality of the main radio in use with the D-Star system the Icom 2820 as it is badly let down with its transmit audio quality when presented with the average Brit voice. Fares much better with the N American voice which tends to have a lower register. Had exactly the same problem in the earlier days of SSB 43 years ago when Japanese radios first came onto the UK market. This again only my personal opinion that is hampered by my gradually deteriorating hearing ability (though which on the other hand can beneficially screen me from verbal abuse from the XYL)

      The DV Dongle now seems to have risen in price to £200 from a low of £145 now due to the falling value of the UK pound against the US$ of late. The only hope is for a return to a higher value for the UK£ which seems to be heading there over the last week, otherwise the present price may hamper sales.

      In installation found the DV Dongle difficult until the order of what was needed was mastered. The makers web site and more so the provided CD hinders progress as the usage is slanted towards the Apple Mac where I use MS Windows. Once you have got over this installation hurdle it all seems relatively easy to make changes which did to first beta 3, then beta 4 operating software. The latest beta 4 software in my opinion is superb with the only few extras see at present being of value is an audio level meter to assist in setting up the device and access to a test reflector both of which are beneficially covered with Echolink.

      At the end it is all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. You pays your money and take the chances as they come.

      Regards,
      Bob, G3VVT
    • Neil
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2009
        Hi Bob et all,

        I have to say the Dongles are the best sounding out of the lot, the
        handhelds come second and I totally agree that the 2820 does
        pitifully sound awfull compared to the rest.

        However, there is a mod, to take out/bypass the third audio input
        filter which (aparently) makes the radio sound much more human on
        digital.

        If I try it and its ok, I'll let you know. If its not, then you
        wont hear me again on there...Hi Hi.

        73's

        Neil.
        G7EBY.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, g3vvt@... wrote:

        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > Use a DV Dongle by necessity living too far from the larger areas
        of
        > population, so this was the only answer at present in my case.
        >
        > Works very well and does show how good the D-Star system can work
        > particularly with a well set up DV Dongle at each end. However, am
        not impressed with
        > the audio quality of the main radio in use with the D-Star system
        the Icom
        > 2820 as it is badly let down with its transmit audio quality when
        presented with
        > the average Brit voice. Fares much better with the N American
        voice which
        > tends to have a lower register. Had exactly the same problem in
        the earlier
        > days of SSB 43 years ago when Japanese radios first came onto the
        UK market.
        > This again only my personal opinion that is hampered by my
        gradually
        > deteriorating hearing ability (though which on the other hand can
        beneficially screen me
        > from verbal abuse from the XYL)
        >
        > The DV Dongle now seems to have risen in price to £200 from a low
        of £145
        > now due to the falling value of the UK pound against the US$ of
        late. The only
        > hope is for a return to a higher value for the UK£ which seems to
        be heading
        > there over the last week, otherwise the present price may hamper
        sales.

        > In installation found the DV Dongle difficult until the order of
        what was
        > needed was mastered. The makers web site and more so the provided
        CD hinders
        > progress as the usage is slanted towards the Apple Mac where I
        use MS Windows.
        > Once you have got over this installation hurdle it all seems
        relatively easy
        > to make changes which did to first beta 3, then beta 4 operating
        software.
        > The latest beta 4 software in my opinion is superb with the only
        few extras see
        > at present being of value is an audio level meter to assist in
        setting up
        > the device and access to a test reflector both of which are
        beneficially
        > covered with Echolink.
        >
        > At the end it is all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. You pays
        your
        > money and take the chances as they come.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Bob, G3VVT

      • Gary Pearce KN4AQ
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2009

          I have a review of the DVDongle coming out in the February 2009 issue of QST (once again they're providing a generous amount of space to review a D-STAR product).

          I'll be able to post a PDF of the review on my web site after it's in print in a couple of weeks, but I'll make a point or two from the review here.

          In the shack, you can get a lot more D-STAR in with a Dongle than you can with a radio. The Dongle lets you quickly drop in and out of Gateway enabled repeaters and any of the reflectors worldwide, and spend as long as you want talking and monitoring them, all without tying up the local repeater.  If you did that on the air, you'd be hogging the repeater and you'd drive the other D-STAR users a little crazy.

          The Dongle can already do things a radio can't, like monitor all three repeaters in a stack at once (NO radio can do that, since no D-STAR radio has  VHF, UHF and 1200 MHz in one).  And while the list of features requested and in the works is as long as your arm, things like multiple-repeater monitoring and scanning are in the works.  Robin told me his goal is to emulate all the features of the radios, and do things the radios can't.

          And as others have mentioned, the Dongle lets you get on D-STAR from anywhere you have an Internet connection, even if there is no repeater nearby.

          If you like D-STAR, it's a good choice.

          73,
          Gary KN4AQ

          ARVN: Amateur Radio//Video News