Re: receiving others GPS position over DVDongle

  • Peter Loveall
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Malinowski, Jr."
      <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

      > I have been told last year at Dayton that DVDongle users cannot
      access
      > any of the low speed data that is sent over Dstar for example, GPS
      > coordinates of a user being sent by their radio. Is this a feature
      > that can be added down the road or is it a limitation of the product/
      > software/gateway? Cause I just thought since DVDongles had been out
      > now over a year that it would have by now offered access to viewing
      > this....
      >
      > I don't believe DStarusers.org shows positional data either but is
      > there a website that shows DStar users location, and I mean DStar
      > users specifically?

      Most gateways have D-PRS IGates running on them. D-PRS is a conversion
      from the Icom GPS formats to APRS format. You can see any D-STAR
      station sending GPS information (if they adhere to the D-PRS
      specification) on any of the APRS database engines. I have more
      information on D-PRS at http://www.aprs-is.net/dprs.aspx and you can
      view all D-PRS stations heard over the past 24 hours at
      http://www.jfindu.net/dstarreports.aspx

      DVTool Beta 4 introduces a receive-only TCP port (20003) that presents
      any Icom "serial" data received from the gateway. That includes all of
      the Icom GPS information transmitted by the radio. You can use DPRS
      Interface on a Windows machine (download from http://www.aprs-
      is.net/dprs.aspx) to connect to that port and use an APRS client to
      connect to DPRS Interface so you can map anyone you see on the gateway
      (or reflector). My tests of that port show that it works fine with
      DPRS Interface. Thanks Robin!

      Merry Christmas to All!

      73,

      Pete Loveall AE5PL
    • John
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
        All --

        Here is the link on funkamateur.de's store:

        http://www.box73.de/catalog/product_info.php?
        products_id=1826&osCsid=46b25341cee62fb96fbd0b4581cefb36

        At 235 Euros plus shipping for the kit, it's not inexpensive. And it
        apparently requires some surface-mount "dexterity" to assemble.

        (I guess all those semesters of German come in handy for translating
        more than ancient passages in Beilstein. :-)

        73,
        john
        W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "William Stillwell" <wkstill@...>

        http://www.dj0abr.de/english/technik/dstar/dvadapter.htm

        > Don't ask me where on funk amateur that is at, but
        a lot of
        > these guys are on the gmsk_dv_node list
        >

        > William Stillwell - Ki4SwY

        Behalf
        > Of ctx944
        > Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:32 PM
        > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: receiving others GPS position over DVDongle
        >

        > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com <mailto:DVDongle%
        40yahoogroups.com> , "Robin
        > Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Ron. Check out the next beta release of DVTool. I'm hoping to
        get
        > > it out this weekend. It won't get you the position but will get
        you
        > > closer. I should be able to add position info at some point.

        > Robin,
        >
        > Keep up those great beta updates ..
        >
        > Your DV Dongle has been a great addition to Ham Radio. Better then
        > what ICOM offered users that would like the taste of DStar without
        the
        > over priced transceivers or HT's ..
        >
        > Am still mad at ICOM for not offering a add on module that would
        allow
        > non-DStar ICom's to work. Spending a bunch or $$ for there IC-7000
        and
        > it does not do DStar is bad .. The Analog TV with IC-7000 will be
        > toast also come the switch to Digital in 2009.
        >
        > There is another add on that would be a hot seller of ICOM's 7000.
        >
        > Robin, hope you are still planning to offer a add-on module for
        mobile
        > tranceivers, that ICOM did not do.
        >
        > A Special Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your group.
        >
        > Chuck
        >
        > Holland, MI
        >
        > WB8WHN

      • Mike Wolthuis
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
          > DVTool Beta 4 introduces a receive-only TCP port (20003) that
          presents
          > any Icom "serial" data received from the gateway. That includes all
          of
          > the Icom GPS information transmitted by the radio. You can use DPRS
          > Interface on a Windows machine (download from http://www.aprs-
          > is.net/dprs.aspx) to connect to that port and use an APRS client to
          > connect to DPRS Interface so you can map anyone you see on the
          gateway
          > (or reflector). My tests of that port show that it works fine with
          > DPRS Interface. Thanks Robin!

          Pete,
          To set this up do you select TCP and then put 127.0.0.1:20003 in the
          speed field to connect to your local DVTool?

          Mike
          kb8zgl
        • Peter Loveall
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Wolthuis" <wolthui3@...> wrote:

            > To set this up do you select TCP and then put 127.0.0.1:20003 in the
            > speed field to connect to your local DVTool?

            No, simply put 20003 in the Port Speed/TCP Port field. It is assumed
            local host as there is no error recovery on that TCP function. This
            was added to emulate connecting to a local serial port.

            73,

            Pete Loveall AE5PL
          • Mike Wolthuis
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 26, 2008
              Pete, setting to 20003 worked perfectly. Thanks. One question, on the
              D-PRS interface screen everything just runs along to the right on a
              single line as opposed to dropping down on each new line like DVTool
              does. Is this right?
              Thanks,
              Mike
              kb8zgl

              > No, simply put 20003 in the Port Speed/TCP Port field. It is assumed
              > local host as there is no error recovery on that TCP function. This
              > was added to emulate connecting to a local serial port.
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Pete Loveall AE5PL

            • Peter Loveall
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 26, 2008
                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Wolthuis" <wolthui3@...> wrote:

                > D-PRS interface screen everything just runs along to the right on a
                > single line as opposed to dropping down on each new line like DVTool
                > does. Is this right?

                GPS-A mode does not use a linefeed. GPS mode does. Because the
                received data is just fed to the Windows text control, what you are
                describing is correct. The Windows text control wants to see a cr/lf
                sequence to indicate a new line. Unfortunately, if I have it key on CR
                (no real buffering done), then there would be double spacing between
                cr/lf lines.

                Have fun!

                73,

                Pete AE5PL
              • Chuck Houser
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Thanks William,

                  Saw the device and translated German to English. Maybe we will see this device, with all its updates at Dayton this year, May 2009.

                  Your info is well taken..

                  Chuck   WB8WHN
                  Holland, Michigan  USA