receiving others GPS position over DVDongle

  • Ronald Malinowski, Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 12, 2008
      I have been told last year at Dayton that DVDongle users cannot access
      any of the low speed data that is sent over Dstar for example, GPS
      coordinates of a user being sent by their radio. Is this a feature
      that can be added down the road or is it a limitation of the product/
      software/gateway? Cause I just thought since DVDongles had been out
      now over a year that it would have by now offered access to viewing
      this....

      I don't believe DStarusers.org shows positional data either but is
      there a website that shows DStar users location, and I mean DStar
      users specifically?

      Thanks for any explanation,
      Ron
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 12, 2008
        Hi Ron. Check out the next beta release of DVTool. I'm hoping to get
        it out this weekend. It won't get you the position but will get you
        closer. I should be able to add position info at some point.

        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Malinowski, Jr."
        <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

        > I have been told last year at Dayton that DVDongle users cannot
        access
        > any of the low speed data that is sent over Dstar for example, GPS
        > coordinates of a user being sent by their radio. Is this a feature
        > that can be added down the road or is it a limitation of the product/
        > software/gateway? Cause I just thought since DVDongles had been out
        > now over a year that it would have by now offered access to viewing
        > this....
        >
        > I don't believe DStarusers.org shows positional data either but is
        > there a website that shows DStar users location, and I mean DStar
        > users specifically?
        >
        > Thanks for any explanation,
        > Ron

      • Nate Duehr
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 13, 2008
          On Dec 12, 2008, at 6:21 AM, Ronald Malinowski, Jr. wrote:

          > I don't believe DStarusers.org shows positional data either but is
          > there a website that shows DStar users location, and I mean DStar
          > users specifically?

          I believe Pete Lovell AE5PL has a website that shows only DPRS-
          generated location data from the overall findu backend APRS network,
          for all the position reports that his add-on software "gateways" to
          the APRS Internet network of servers. You may want to check with him
          to see if there are other ways to query just for DPRS-generated data.

          --
          Nate Duehr, WY0X
          nate@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008

            > Hi Ron. Check out the next beta release of DVTool. I'm hoping to get
            > it out this weekend. It won't get you the position but will get you
            > closer. I should be able to add position info at some point.

            Robin,

            Keep up those great beta updates ..

            Your DV Dongle has been a great addition to Ham Radio. Better then
            what ICOM offered users that would like the taste of DStar without the
            over priced transceivers or HT's ..

            Am still mad at ICOM for not offering a add on module that would allow
            non-DStar ICom's to work. Spending a bunch or $$ for there IC-7000 and
            it does not do DStar is bad .. The Analog TV with IC-7000 will be
            toast also come the switch to Digital in 2009.

            There is another add on that would be a hot seller of ICOM's 7000.

            Robin, hope you are still planning to offer a add-on module for mobile
            tranceivers, that ICOM did not do.

            A Special Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your group.

            Chuck

            Holland, MI

            WB8WHN
          • William Stillwell
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2008

              Chuck,

                              Check out

                              http://www.dj0abr.de/english/technik/dstar/dvadapter.htm

                              Don’t ask me where on funk amateur that is at, but a lot of these guys are on the gmsk_dv_node list

              William Stillwell – Ki4SwY

              > Hi Ron. Check out the next beta release of DVTool. I'm hoping to get
              > it out this weekend. It won't get you the position but will get you
              > closer. I should be able to add position info at some point.

              Robin,

              Keep up those great beta updates ..

              Your DV Dongle has been a great addition to Ham Radio. Better then
              what ICOM offered users that would like the taste of DStar without the
              over priced transceivers or HT's ..

              Am still mad at ICOM for not offering a add on module that would allow
              non-DStar ICom's to work. Spending a bunch or $$ for there IC-7000 and
              it does not do DStar is bad .. The Analog TV with IC-7000 will be
              toast also come the switch to Digital in 2009.

              There is another add on that would be a hot seller of ICOM's 7000.

              Robin, hope you are still planning to offer a add-on module for mobile
              tranceivers, that ICOM did not do.

              A Special Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your group.

              Chuck

              Holland, MI

              WB8WHN

            • Peter Loveall
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                <APRSdash9@...> wrote:

                > I have been told last year at Dayton that DVDongle users cannot
                access
                > any of the low speed data that is sent over Dstar for example, GPS
                > coordinates of a user being sent by their radio. Is this a feature
                > that can be added down the road or is it a limitation of the product/
                > software/gateway? Cause I just thought since DVDongles had been out
                > now over a year that it would have by now offered access to viewing
                > this....
                >
                > I don't believe DStarusers.org shows positional data either but is
                > there a website that shows DStar users location, and I mean DStar
                > users specifically?

                Most gateways have D-PRS IGates running on them. D-PRS is a conversion
                from the Icom GPS formats to APRS format. You can see any D-STAR
                station sending GPS information (if they adhere to the D-PRS
                specification) on any of the APRS database engines. I have more
                information on D-PRS at http://www.aprs-is.net/dprs.aspx and you can
                view all D-PRS stations heard over the past 24 hours at
                http://www.jfindu.net/dstarreports.aspx

                DVTool Beta 4 introduces a receive-only TCP port (20003) that presents
                any Icom "serial" data received from the gateway. That includes all of
                the Icom GPS information transmitted by the radio. You can use DPRS
                Interface on a Windows machine (download from http://www.aprs-
                is.net/dprs.aspx) to connect to that port and use an APRS client to
                connect to DPRS Interface so you can map anyone you see on the gateway
                (or reflector). My tests of that port show that it works fine with
                DPRS Interface. Thanks Robin!

                Merry Christmas to All!

                73,

                Pete Loveall AE5PL
              • John
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
                  All --

                  Here is the link on funkamateur.de's store:

                  http://www.box73.de/catalog/product_info.php?
                  products_id=1826&osCsid=46b25341cee62fb96fbd0b4581cefb36

                  At 235 Euros plus shipping for the kit, it's not inexpensive. And it
                  apparently requires some surface-mount "dexterity" to assemble.

                  (I guess all those semesters of German come in handy for translating
                  more than ancient passages in Beilstein. :-)

                  73,
                  john
                  W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL

                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "William Stillwell" <wkstill@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Chuck,
                  >
                  > Check out

                  http://www.dj0abr.de/english/technik/dstar/dvadapter.htm

                  > Don't ask me where on funk amateur that is at, but
                  a lot of
                  > these guys are on the gmsk_dv_node list
                  >

                  > William Stillwell - Ki4SwY

                  Behalf
                  > Of ctx944
                  > Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 6:32 PM
                  > To: DVDongle@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [DVDongle] Re: receiving others GPS position over DVDongle
                  >

                  > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com <mailto:DVDongle%
                  40yahoogroups.com> , "Robin
                  > Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Ron. Check out the next beta release of DVTool. I'm hoping to
                  get
                  > > it out this weekend. It won't get you the position but will get
                  you
                  > > closer. I should be able to add position info at some point.

                  > Robin,
                  >
                  > Keep up those great beta updates ..
                  >
                  > Your DV Dongle has been a great addition to Ham Radio. Better then
                  > what ICOM offered users that would like the taste of DStar without
                  the
                  > over priced transceivers or HT's ..
                  >
                  > Am still mad at ICOM for not offering a add on module that would
                  allow
                  > non-DStar ICom's to work. Spending a bunch or $$ for there IC-7000
                  and
                  > it does not do DStar is bad .. The Analog TV with IC-7000 will be
                  > toast also come the switch to Digital in 2009.
                  >
                  > There is another add on that would be a hot seller of ICOM's 7000.
                  >
                  > Robin, hope you are still planning to offer a add-on module for
                  mobile
                  > tranceivers, that ICOM did not do.
                  >
                  > A Special Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your group.
                  >
                  > Chuck
                  >
                  > Holland, MI
                  >
                  > WB8WHN

                • Mike Wolthuis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
                    > DVTool Beta 4 introduces a receive-only TCP port (20003) that
                    presents
                    > any Icom "serial" data received from the gateway. That includes all
                    of
                    > the Icom GPS information transmitted by the radio. You can use DPRS
                    > Interface on a Windows machine (download from http://www.aprs-
                    > is.net/dprs.aspx) to connect to that port and use an APRS client to
                    > connect to DPRS Interface so you can map anyone you see on the
                    gateway
                    > (or reflector). My tests of that port show that it works fine with
                    > DPRS Interface. Thanks Robin!

                    Pete,
                    To set this up do you select TCP and then put 127.0.0.1:20003 in the
                    speed field to connect to your local DVTool?

                    Mike
                    kb8zgl
                  • Peter Loveall
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 25, 2008
                      --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Wolthuis" <wolthui3@...> wrote:

                      > To set this up do you select TCP and then put 127.0.0.1:20003 in the
                      > speed field to connect to your local DVTool?

                      No, simply put 20003 in the Port Speed/TCP Port field. It is assumed
                      local host as there is no error recovery on that TCP function. This
                      was added to emulate connecting to a local serial port.

                      73,

                      Pete Loveall AE5PL
                    • Mike Wolthuis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 26, 2008
                        Pete, setting to 20003 worked perfectly. Thanks. One question, on the
                        D-PRS interface screen everything just runs along to the right on a
                        single line as opposed to dropping down on each new line like DVTool
                        does. Is this right?
                        Thanks,
                        Mike
                        kb8zgl

                        > No, simply put 20003 in the Port Speed/TCP Port field. It is assumed
                        > local host as there is no error recovery on that TCP function. This
                        > was added to emulate connecting to a local serial port.
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Pete Loveall AE5PL

                      • Peter Loveall
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 26, 2008
                          --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Wolthuis" <wolthui3@...> wrote:

                          > D-PRS interface screen everything just runs along to the right on a
                          > single line as opposed to dropping down on each new line like DVTool
                          > does. Is this right?

                          GPS-A mode does not use a linefeed. GPS mode does. Because the
                          received data is just fed to the Windows text control, what you are
                          describing is correct. The Windows text control wants to see a cr/lf
                          sequence to indicate a new line. Unfortunately, if I have it key on CR
                          (no real buffering done), then there would be double spacing between
                          cr/lf lines.

                          Have fun!

                          73,

                          Pete AE5PL
                        • Chuck Houser
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009
                            Thanks William,

                            Saw the device and translated German to English. Maybe we will see this device, with all its updates at Dayton this year, May 2009.

                            Your info is well taken..

                            Chuck   WB8WHN
                            Holland, Michigan  USA