Skip to search.

Am I missing something simple ???

  • millwab
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 8 4:15 PM
      Have just bought a DV-Dongle and installed it on a laptop running Vista
      Home Premium with dv-tool ver 1.10 beta 3.
      Everything 'seems' to be working OK.
      I run the .bat file and a dos window opens followed by DV Tool.
      Open the port followed by connecting to Ref005 and I can hear the
      QSO's. The 'MYCALL', 'URCALL', 'RPT1' and 'RPT2' show the necessary
      data of who is speaking and this is reflected in the dos window.
      However, if I press the PTT button, my callsign does not appear even in
      the dstar history tab but if I go to www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html my
      callsign is listed as heard.
      How do I get mycall, urcall, rpt1 and rpt2 filled out so that I can
      route the call correctly.
      I am sorry if this seems a stupid question, but am eager to start using
      the dongle.
      Regards
      Brian G0MDN
    • Fran Miele
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 9 5:06 AM

        Brian,

        When you transmit with DVTOOL you do not see your information on the screen nor in the history. Only the information you receive from other stations gets displayed

        Fran, W1FJM

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 9 6:20 AM
          At 07:15 PM 12/8/2008, millwab wrote:
          >Have just bought a DV-Dongle and installed it on a laptop running Vista
          >Home Premium with dv-tool ver 1.10 beta 3.
          >Everything 'seems' to be working OK.
          >I run the .bat file and a dos window opens followed by DV Tool.
          >Open the port followed by connecting to Ref005 and I can hear the
          >QSO's. The 'MYCALL', 'URCALL', 'RPT1' and 'RPT2' show the necessary
          >data of who is speaking and this is reflected in the dos window.
          >However, if I press the PTT button, my callsign does not appear even in
          >the dstar history tab but if I go to www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html my
          >callsign is listed as heard.

          Your info does not appear in the history tab, just the incoming stations.

          >How do I get mycall, urcall, rpt1 and rpt2 filled out so that I can
          >route the call correctly.

          You cannot. You put your callsign in the MYCALL field.
          You then select a gateway or Reflector to connect to ....
          You cannot callsign route with a Dongle .... you will be heard by
          everyone on that
          gateway or reflector however.

          >I am sorry if this seems a stupid question, but am eager to start using
          >the dongle.

          There is a lot to digest ... feel free to ask questions!

          73,
          Dave VE3GYQ/W8
        • millwab
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 9 2:32 PM
            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "millwab" <brian@...> wrote:

            > Have just bought a DV-Dongle and installed it on a laptop running
            Vista
            > Home Premium with dv-tool ver 1.10 beta 3.
            > Everything 'seems' to be working OK.
            > I run the .bat file and a dos window opens followed by DV Tool.
            > Open the port followed by connecting to Ref005 and I can hear the
            > QSO's. The 'MYCALL', 'URCALL', 'RPT1' and 'RPT2' show the necessary
            > data of who is speaking and this is reflected in the dos window.
            > However, if I press the PTT button, my callsign does not appear
            even in
            > the dstar history tab but if I go to www.ukit.org.uk/ref005alh.html
            my
            > callsign is listed as heard.
            > How do I get mycall, urcall, rpt1 and rpt2 filled out so that I can
            > route the call correctly.
            > I am sorry if this seems a stupid question, but am eager to start
            using
            > the dongle.
            > Regards
            > Brian G0MDN

            Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll get there eventually.

            73's
            Brian
            G0MDN
          • Nate Duehr
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 9 4:39 PM
              millwab wrote:

              >> How do I get mycall, urcall, rpt1 and rpt2 filled out so that I can
              >> route the call correctly.

              That all depends on where you are trying to call. I didn't think the
              Dongle needed all those things???

              On a Dongle, you're just connecting to either a repeater (by callsign)
              and port (frequency/band), or a Reflector (a place where many Repeaters
              may or may not be connected and "hanging out"). Far less things to
              program than when you're on a real D-STAR radio, and also more limited.

              I haven't used a Dongle personally, but for radios -- the D-STAR
              Calculator is very helpful. Problem is, it isn't going to help from the
              Dongle.

              <http://www.dstarinfo.com/Calculator/DSTAR%20Web%20Calculator.aspx>

              You might want to play with it to see how it works for people on the RF
              side of things.

              But for your Dongle connection... you're just connecting to a Repeater
              and Module letter to listen to that repeater and/or talk to it, as far
              as I know.

              It is NOT possible for a radio to call a Dongle, The Dongle user must
              be connected/linked to a repeater/port or to a community Reflector...
              for RF users to hear and talk with you.

              A Reflector is perhaps better described as a "conference server" or
              "meeting place", if that helps envision the difference.

              > Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll get there eventually.

              Definitely. It's not hard after you get the hang of it. But it's also
              not a boring "mash-to-mumble" (push-to-talk) type of radio with no
              knowledge needed! (GRIN)

              If you want to try calling W0CDS Port B (UHF) in about a half hour and
              know there's someone listening for you here in the States, let me know.

              I know it's late over there. I won't tune in unless you say you're
              going to try, but I also won't be home, so I can't watch for e-mail or
              other communications from you.

              Probably easier to set up a local test there in the UK first, so maybe
              you can coordinate on the phone with someone who has a radio and is
              listening to the repeater you're calling?

              I'd provide a phone number here in the States on most other days, but
              it's been snowing here, and driving and talking on a radio is plenty of
              distraction... I might not even do that tonight. Trying to juggle a
              phone too, is dangerous on snowy roads, and I left the Bluetooth headset
              at home.

              www.dstarusers.org is showing that you're keying REF001C. It's usually
              a pretty busy place. If no one is responding to you there,
              troubleshooting might include checking your audio mixer levels and
              making sure your microphone is working properly.

              (I'm sure Robin has a troubleshooting guide of sorts for the Dongle
              published or in his head somewhere.)

              I can also monitor the Reflector on the way home. Your call. How late
              are you going to be up?

              Nate WY0X
            • Neil
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 9 11:19 PM
                Nate wrote:

                It is NOT possible for a radio to call a Dongle, The Dongle user must
                be connected/linked to a repeater/port or to a community Reflector...
                for RF users to hear and talk with you.

                I comment:

                Just thought, you cannot call a specific RF callsign either, lurking
                on the system somewhere from a Dongle.
                At least we have the ability to put a message out from the Dongle in
                beta 3 now, I wonder if it would be possible to add a callsign to be
                called, then automaticaly route to wherever they are in a future
                release?

                Not that I've looked at it much, but there is a 'Digital Squelch' on
                the radios, has anyone fathomed this out yet? Can you put a specific
                callsign in so the radio is silent until a call from that person is
                calling you? This would be a neat feature for the Dongle too.

                Regards,

                Neil.
                G7EBY.
              • Greg Forrest
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 10 8:08 AM
                  A bit off topic...but you can do both. You can listen for a call from a
                  specific callsign, or for a call from a user running a specific two-digit
                  code.

                  What is especially impressive is that the two-digit digital coded "squelch"
                  works locally as well as over a gateway to any other system in the world.
                  Try that with analog...

                  Greg
                  N6LDJ

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 11 8:32 AM
                    I believe the functionality is to your programmed callsign, and not from a specific callsign.  So you can "squelch" to only stations calling you specifically and can not filter on the calling station.

                    The DV Dongle does not have this functionality.

                    --
                    John - K7VE
                  • Ken Bryant
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 11 3:41 PM
                      Digital coded squelch with more features and options than a simple two digit
                      code has been available in analog for almost 10 years now.

                      Ken
                      KF4CZB
                    • Greg Forrest
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 13 8:12 AM
                        Hi Ken:

                        Absolutely. When you combine the analog and digital codes you have many
                        more available. But you missed my point - try designing a network that can
                        reliably convey a DCS or analog CTCSS code (with the voice) through all the
                        linking mechanisms so that a user on the far end can operate in "coded
                        squelch" to listen just for that code. It is a challenge to say the least.
                        Dstar conveys the code all the way through - no degradation.

                        Greg

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 13 8:22 AM

                          Yes – my mistake.  I tested this a year ago and forgot the outcome…

                          Greg

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 13 3:58 PM
                            On Dec 13, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Greg Forrest wrote:

                            > Hi Ken:
                            >
                            > Absolutely. When you combine the analog and digital codes you have
                            > many
                            > more available. But you missed my point - try designing a network
                            > that can
                            > reliably convey a DCS or analog CTCSS code (with the voice) through
                            > all the
                            > linking mechanisms so that a user on the far end can operate in "coded
                            > squelch" to listen just for that code. It is a challenge to say the
                            > least.
                            > Dstar conveys the code all the way through - no degradation.

                            Additional features not mentioned:

                            - Most analog repeaters only receive or transmit one of those analog
                            codes, unless a Community Tone Panel is installed.

                            - The D-STAR digital squelch system built into all the rigs has a user-
                            controlled "break-in" mode (BK) that can allow a user to be heard by
                            the remote stations for a "break". No feature like that in analog,
                            but you can easily find their code and interrupt that way, if you're
                            resourceful.

                            - D-STAR also has "EMR" mode, which while Icom's lawyers won't let
                            them call it "Emergency" mode, that was the engineer's obvious
                            intention -- it opens all monitoring radios and even turns most models
                            volume up to 50% if they were turned down, in order to get your call
                            heard.

                            - It's fast with virtually no delay involved in detecting it. While
                            the analog cousins of the 1970's and 80's are fast, they're not as
                            fast to decode.

                            - CTCSS has to use "tricks" to quietly close a squelch, and DCS had to
                            define a specific analog tone to close the squelch, which works well,
                            but can be "falsed".
                            (In fact, all in-band signaling systems suffer from falsing to
                            some extent. Out-of-band signaling in the data stream overall is a
                            more robust way to engineer it.)

                            What any of this has to do with DV-Dongles, I have no idea. But
                            there's the answers to the questions of what each can and can't do.

                            --
                            Nate Duehr, WY0X
                            nate@...
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 14 3:18 AM
                              (Message from Moderator: let's move this to a more appropriate group please. This isn't really DV Dongle related. Thanks)

                              Nate,
                              Don't mean to keep an off topic thread going but ..
                              I stood up in a room full of over 250 people at Dayton '07 and tried to
                              encourage the use of digital squelch as a potential means of stomping
                              out R2D2 which is particularly bad on the ID-800's in noisy areas. My
                              comment was couched in terms of "lets learn from our CTCSS experiences
                              in the analog world and get started in the digital world on the right
                              foot" It seemed easy to me at the time that if we could just get
                              everyone to hit the tone button a few times - and wala - it loads the
                              default "00" code. Problem is, everyone's got to do it or it doesn't
                              work very well. (kind of like asking everyone to use a G in their RPT2
                              call for Dongles & Linking) One lady commented about how much she
                              hated PL tones and everyone laughed & I sat down thinking about what a
                              lazy bunch we were & how history is doomed to repeat itself J.

                              Now what would be nice is if there were a way to insert the digital code
                              in the data stream at the repeater so that savvy users could take
                              advantage of it to keep the channel quiet (from falseing - not for
                              selective calling or privacy)
                              ..I that possible Robin ? - maybe a topic for the "open D-Star" thread
                              74,
                              Ron

                              --
                              Ron Shaffer W4VM / AAT4SJ
                            • Ken Bryant
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 14 6:42 AM
                                Greg,

                                We have never had any trouble passing DCTS in analog through various systems
                                although your point is well taken. I was also referring to the features and
                                options with it, such as pocket beep, etc. In any event, I apologize I was
                                a little sensitive to all this elitism going on about DSTAR which many
                                people are using to exclude analog users trying to access it. As Nate says,
                                this have nothing to do with Dongles so let's take it somewhere else or do
                                it off reflector.

                                Thanks,

                                Ken
                                KF4CZB