RE: [DVDongle] Automate file recording

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
      What time out timer?

      Is there one? Ours doesn't have it.

      In the analog world there might be this problem but that would be up to
      the transmitting station to sort out.

      --

      Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
      Randolph, NJ
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008
        --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Mark Phillips <g7ltt@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I own a dongle and run it on my Mac. I'm also one of the guys involved
        > with This Week in Amateur Radio (TWIAR) and we are trying to create a
        > D-STAR compatible version of our show.
        >
        > Currently we have our production software feed the show in real time
        > into my mac via a toslink cable which in turn gets recorded to a file by
        > the dongle software for later distribution on the TWIAR website.
        > Repeater keepers then schedule a job on their gateway machines to play
        > it out at their elected time.
        >
        > Problem with this is that it has to happen in real time AND requires the
        > use of more than one person. Does there exist a tool that could convert
        > a wav file into a dstar file in some automated fashion?
        >
        > If not how hard would it be to create one? I'm thinking about maybe a
        > webpage whose host machine has the relevant Dongle etc. One would upload
        > the wav via the web page and the resultant file would be available for
        > download whenever the user gets an email saying it's ready.
        >
        > Such a script/program would be useful in that it would negate the need
        > for gateway operators to own a dongle for recording purposes (system
        > idents/time announcements etc).
        >
        > BTW, if any gateway operators want to broadcast our program please do
        > drop me a line.
        >
        > Mark
        >
        > --
        >

        > Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
        > Randolph, NJ

        You might be able to accomplish this with some of the software KI4LKF
        is writing to enable analog/DSTAR bridging. Visit the dstarsoftware
        list and pose the question there.
      • Woodrick, Ed
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2008

          If I’m not mistaken it is built-in to the controller and is maybe 3-5 minutes.

          --

          Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
          Randolph, NJ

        • Mark Phillips
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
            That being the case then it would need to be defeated. I can't see this
            being a "set in stone" setting. If it is then that pretty short sighted
            of Icom.

            I have a copy of the controller software. I'll run it up and take a
            look. Perhaps it's available in the 3rd party controller software ?

            Mark

            --

            Mark Phillips, G7LTT/NI2O
            Randolph, NJ