DVTool 1.10 beta3 available

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2008
      The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
      and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can find
      it at:

      http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta3.jar

      Beta3 adds a transmission timer and bit error indicator.

      Some folks might need to rename their old DVTool.jar file and then
      rename the beta to DVTool.jar.

      If no major problems are found, this should become the 1.10
      release version.

    • vk4tux
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2008
        Looks Good

        http://vk4tux.no-ip.org:81/beta3.jpg

        Working great on CentOS 5.

        vk4tux
      • Dennis Rogers
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2008
          If you have 96 / 4, what does it tell you? Out of 96 bits there were 4 errors?

          Otherwise, looks good here on Windows 2000 and XP.

          Dennis

          On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Robin Cutshaw <aa4rc@...> wrote:

          The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
          and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can find
          it at:

          http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta3.jar

          Beta3 adds a transmission timer and bit error indicator.

          Some folks might need to rename their old DVTool.jar file and then
          rename the beta to DVTool.jar.

          If no major problems are found, this should become the 1.10
          release version.

          Regards,

                 Dennis, N5VRP
                 n5vrp.satx@...

          APRS Regoinal Gateway Provider
          Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
          ARRL Member
          Cactus-Intertie Member
          AMSAT Member, President's Club

          73's from SATX, EL09rk

        • Declan Mc Glone
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
            Hi Robin,

            Works great here.

            Thanks,

            Declan
            M0TMX

            > The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
            > and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can
            find
            > it at:
            >
            > http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta3.jar
            >
            > Beta3 adds a transmission timer and bit error indicator.
            >
            > Some folks might need to rename their old DVTool.jar file and then
            > rename the beta to DVTool.jar.
            >
            > If no major problems are found, this should become the 1.10
            > release version.

          • Fran Miele
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008

              Works good here. I am seeing bit rate errors. What is it telling me. I saw 0/4

              Fran

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                Hi Dennis. If you hover your mouse over the "Bit Errors" field, a
                tooltip will tell you what the numbers mean. The first number is a
                cumulative total of bit errors over a 0.5 second running time frame.
                The second number is the maximum number of bit errors in any one 20ms
                packet over the course of the current transmission stream.

                This basically shows how well the RF user was getting into their
                repeater. It does not show internet packet loss.

                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rogers" <n5vrp.satx@...>
                wrote:

                > If you have 96 / 4, what does it tell you? Out of 96 bits there
                were 4
                > errors?
                >
                > Otherwise, looks good here on Windows 2000 and XP.
                >
                > Dennis
                >
                > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM, Robin Cutshaw <aa4rc@...> wrote:
                >
                > > The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please
                download
                > > and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can
                find
                > > it at:
                > >
                > > http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta3.jar
                > >
                > > Beta3 adds a transmission timer and bit error indicator.
                > >
                > > Some folks might need to rename their old DVTool.jar file and then
                > > rename the beta to DVTool.jar.
                > >
                > > If no major problems are found, this should become the 1.10
                > > release version.

                > --
                > Regards,
                >
                > Dennis, N5VRP
                > n5vrp.satx@...
                >
                > APRS Regoinal Gateway Provider
                > Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
                > ARRL Member
                > Cactus-Intertie Member
                > AMSAT Member, President's Club
                >
                > 73's from SATX, EL09rk

              • Dennis Rogers
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Thank. It really showed up last night on a few users, but only one had no R2D2.
                  Make a lot of sense. Would be nice to see packet loss making sure gateway-to-
                  internet packet loss from there ISP is the culpit or somewhere down stream.

                  Any way, Robin thanks for all you do and DVTool. I have found NO problems
                  just get better every time you release a update. I am from time to time running it
                  o Centos 5.2-64bit without problems since last night.

                  Dennis
                  N5VRP

                  --
                  Regards,

                         Dennis, N5VRP
                         n5vrp.satx@...

                  APRS Regoinal Gateway Provider
                  Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
                  ARRL Member
                  Cactus-Intertie Member
                  AMSAT Member, President's Club

                  73's from SATX, EL09rk

                • Steve Hatch
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 2, 2008
                    I am really enjoying the new features included in this beta!

                    I have found that I switch between the Connection and the History
                    tabs often when in a QSO with someone new. It would be nice to have
                    a PTT button available in the history tab.

                    Nice work as always :-)

                    Steve - WA7DAD

                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008
                      The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
                      and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can find
                      it at:

                      http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta4.jar

                      Beta4 adds a low speed data receive tab, audio mute button, and ability
                      to disable the comfort noise. Also, the colors have been changed for
                      higher contrast on the history tab.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008
                        One thing I forgot to mention is that you will need to resize the
                        window to see the new tab. Grab the lower right edge of the DVTool
                        window and drag it to the right and down until you see all of the
                        tabs.

                        > The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
                        > and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can
                        find
                        > it at:
                        >
                        > http://www.opendstar.org/tools/DVTool-1.10beta4.jar
                        >
                        > Beta4 adds a low speed data receive tab, audio mute button, and
                        ability
                        > to disable the comfort noise. Also, the colors have been changed
                        for
                        > higher contrast on the history tab.
                        >
                        > Some folks might need to rename their old DVTool.jar file and then
                        > rename the beta to DVTool.jar.

                      • Nick
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008

                          > The next beta release of version 1.10 is available. Please download
                          > and install in the DVTool folder that is on your desktop. You can find
                          > it at:

                          Great work Robin, works fine on XP SP3 :-)
                          Thanks a lot, Merry Xmas and a Happy and successful New Year!
                          73' Nick / HB9DRX
                        • Fran Miele
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008

                            Robin,

                            Looks good and seems to work well too. GREAT job!! I like the new features.

                            Thanks

                            Fran, W1FJM

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008
                              I haven't used the dongle in a while and when I try using it with the
                              new Beta, nothing happens. I can't get any of the versions I have on my
                              Windoze Vista 64 machine to run.
                              I never had this problem in the past. I did upgrade to the latest
                              version of Java. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? When I double click
                              the file nothing happens.

                              Thanks,

                              Bill WB4WTN
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008
                                Hi Bill. Try a couple of things:

                                1) open a dos/command window and cd to your DVTool folder. Then type
                                java -jar DVTool.jar. See what happens.

                                2) double-click on the dvtool.bat file and see what happens. Then
                                double-click on the dvtooldbg.bat file and send the two files that end
                                in "txt" to me via email at aa4rc@....

                                --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...> wrote:

                                > I haven't used the dongle in a while and when I try using it with the
                                > new Beta, nothing happens. I can't get any of the versions I have on
                                my
                                > Windoze Vista 64 machine to run.
                                > I never had this problem in the past. I did upgrade to the latest
                                > version of Java. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? When I double
                                click
                                > the file nothing happens.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Bill WB4WTN

                              • William Stillwell
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008

                                  Vista64 you may need to do what I have done, and edit the lunch cmd file:

                                  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\java" -jar DVTool.jar >dvtool.txt

                                  Java is not part of the path  in Vista 64bit, you will need to add the complete path to the java loader into the cmd file.

                                  1) open a dos/command window and cd to your DVTool folder. Then type
                                  java -jar DVTool.jar. See what happens.

                                  2) double-click on the dvtool.bat file and see what happens. Then
                                  double-click on the dvtooldbg.bat file and send the two files that end
                                  in "txt" to me via email at aa4rc@....

                                  --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cherepy <jcherepy@...> wrote:

                                  > I haven't used the dongle in a while and when I try using it with the
                                  > new Beta, nothing happens. I can't get any of the versions I have on
                                  my
                                  > Windoze Vista 64 machine to run.
                                  > I never had this problem in the past. I did upgrade to the latest
                                  > version of Java. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot? When I double
                                  click
                                  > the file nothing happens.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Bill WB4WTN

                                • Peter
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008

                                    Great job Robin,

                                    Working fine here in the UK

                                    Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy New year

                                    Best regards

                                    Peter de G6VBJ

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 19, 2008

                                      Fired up just fine with window sized correctly for all tabs. Looks nice. New features being checked. Thanks for getting this out.

                                      Norm Johnson, aa7oo

                                      Webmaster www.w7mot.com

                                      W7MOT Dstar Administrator

                                      Today: Queen Creek , Arizona

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 20, 2008

                                        > Beta4 adds a low speed data receive tab, audio mute button, and
                                        ability

                                        Hi Robin,

                                        Looks nice. Is there a TCP port that can be connected to so we can
                                        attach a program like D-PRS Interface or D-RATS to see the low speed
                                        data (both consider they are looking at a radio's serial port so the
                                        presentation should be plain vanilla; i.e. no headers, etc.). If not,
                                        that is on my wish list :-) Initially, even a one-way communication
                                        (from DV-Tool to the attached application) would be worthwhile.

                                        Thanks for the great work!

                                        73,

                                        Pete AE5PL
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 20, 2008
                                          Security updates have recently been applied to D-Star gateways and
                                          reflectors. As a result, you must be running DVTool 1.05 or any of the
                                          1.10beta releases. You can tell your version by clicking on the Help-
                                          >About menu item at the top of the DVTool screen.

                                          The new security update also blocks users that forge DV Dongle serial
                                          numbers. A blocked user will no longer be able to use DVTool with
                                          their dongle once they have been blocked.
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 20, 2008
                                            Hi Pete. Try telneting to TCP port 20003 on localhost. :)

                                            For now, it is one direction from DVTool to the application.

                                            --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Loveall" <HamLists@...> wrote:

                                            > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Cutshaw" <aa4rc@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Beta4 adds a low speed data receive tab, audio mute button, and
                                            > ability
                                            >
                                            > Hi Robin,
                                            >
                                            > Looks nice. Is there a TCP port that can be connected to so we can
                                            > attach a program like D-PRS Interface or D-RATS to see the low
                                            speed
                                            > data (both consider they are looking at a radio's serial port so
                                            the
                                            > presentation should be plain vanilla; i.e. no headers, etc.). If
                                            not,
                                            > that is on my wish list :-) Initially, even a one-way
                                            communication
                                            > (from DV-Tool to the attached application) would be worthwhile.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for the great work!
                                            >
                                            > 73,
                                            >
                                            > Pete AE5PL

                                          • Greg Forrest
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 4, 2009
                                              Robin, All:

                                              I had been unable to get the dvtool running. Dvtool.jar is dated 12/26/08.
                                              When I executed the dvtool.jar file, nothing occurred; not even a dos window
                                              appeared. Came across Robin's and William Stillwell's earlier responses
                                              (search: vista64).

                                              Went to a dos window and ran the following:

                                              C:\Users\user\Desktop\DVTool>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe"
                                              -jar DVTool.jar

                                              DVTool Version 1.05
                                              Operating System Windows Vista
                                              Operating System version 6.0
                                              Architecture x86

                                              java version 1.6.0_11
                                              java vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
                                              java vm.specification.version 1.0
                                              java vm.specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
                                              java vm.specification.name Java Virtual Machine Specification
                                              java vm.version 11.0-b16
                                              java vm.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
                                              java vm.name Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
                                              java specification.version 1.6
                                              java specification.vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
                                              java specification.name Java Platform API Specification

                                              Found an FTDI serial device on COM3
                                              Found 1 com ports

                                              Searching for audio input devices
                                              Searching for audio output devices
                                              source mixer 0 description (Direct Audio Device: DirectSound Playback) added
                                              source mixer 0 name (Primary Sound Driver) added
                                              source mixer 4 version (1.0) added
                                              Finished searching for audio devices

                                              Audio input device error m_targetLine unavailable
                                              Audio input device error m_targetLine unavailable

                                              Last line was the error. The problem was found to be that the on-board
                                              sound was setup to automatically detect insertion of plugs; I had no
                                              microphone plugged into the mic input jack at the time; this was found when
                                              viewing control panel/sound for my drivers. As soon as I plugged in a mic,
                                              dvtool.jar ran fine. Simple solution; all my previous machines did not
                                              have "plug detection". I am not sure this is a desireable feature...

                                              Greg
                                              N6LDJ