RE: [DVDongle] Re: connecting Dongle to on remote host

  • Fran
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008

      Hi Robin,

      I assume the dongle needs to be opened on the host machine where I run ascpseriald COMX 20002.Do I use port 20002 as the port?

      I have tried port 20002 and also 80 and 2002. I cannot get a connection between them. I DO NOT have a firewall running on either machine.

      Fran

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008

        I have the dongle on an XP PC. I open start the DVTOOL on com16 then start it.  Then I start ascpseriald COM16 20002. The PC has and IP address of 192.168.5.103

         I then go to my laptop start DVTOOL and set the remote address to the ip address of the PC using port 20002. When I click “OPEN” I get a message saying it cannot open 192.168.5.103:20002.

        Is there some other settings I need to do in DVTOOL?

        Fran

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008

          I figured it out. ascpseriald  was not running. It wasn’t starting. I actually had to put ascpseriald.exe COM16 20002 as there are three different ascpseriald programs in the folder. I was thinking that DVTOOL needed to be running because that was the only time I saw ascpseriald in the task manager. I didn’t realize DVTOOL was starting it.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2008
            Thanks for all your help!

            Fran

            > I figured it out. ascpseriald was not running. It wasn't starting. I
            > actually had to put ascpseriald.exe COM16 20002

            Yep sorry I didn't pick that up either. Been using linux mainly here.
            Glad your there. Should work over the internet too if you open the port
            with your outside ip.

            cheers

            Adrian

          • William Stillwell
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008

              Hmm, and all this time I been talking directly to the dongle L via bt drivers.

              Never thought of using the ascpserial app and use sockets …

              > I figured it out. ascpseriald was not running. It wasn't starting. I
              > actually had to put ascpseriald.exe COM16 20002

              Yep sorry I didn't pick that up either. Been using linux mainly here.
              Glad your there. Should work over the internet too if you open the port
              with your outside ip.

              cheers

              Adrian

            • john_ke5c
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                You are then transporting a WAV stream rather than a DV stream,
                right? So the bandwidth will be high? 73 -- John

                > Hi Fran. This is a little more advanced operation than I expected
                > folks to try (even though several have used it successfully now).
                > put this functionality in mainly for debugging network issues.
                >
                > You can put the dongle on a host on your LAN, and then run:
                >
                > ascpseriald COMX 20002
                >
                > on the dongle host where X in COMX is the comm port that the dongle
                > came up on. You can then use the "use dv device on remote host"
                with
                > the IP address and port from the PC on your LAN which has the
                dongle.

                > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "franmiele" <fran@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am trying to use the dongle from my laptop while it is
                connected to
                > > my desktop Via the "Use DV Device on Remote Host" feature. I'm
                not
                > > szure how to setup both machines. Are ther instructions somewhere?
                > >
                > > Fran, W1FJM

              • Tony Langdon
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2008
                  At 09:04 AM 11/4/2008, you wrote:
                  >You are then transporting a WAV stream rather than a DV stream,
                  >right? So the bandwidth will be high? 73 -- John

                  Yep, though a few of us have successfully tested accessing a Dongle
                  remotely from the other side of the world.

                  73 de VK3JED
                  http://vkradio.com
                • philpage99
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
                    Hello there i am Wa1jhv in Newport RI USA and working with my friend ken N1KK up in Gloucester RI on a project to remotely access a dstar dongle
                    Noticed that you and some friends have done that and wonder how it was done what did you enter in the advanced box for a computer name a ip address etc? and if there were any issues with the port in use
                    Would really appreciate any help you could give me and Ken
                    73' Phil WA1JHV
                    --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, Tony Langdon <vk3jed@...> wrote:

                    > At 09:04 AM 11/4/2008, you wrote:
                    > >You are then transporting a WAV stream rather than a DV stream,
                    > >right? So the bandwidth will be high? 73 -- John
                    >
                    > Yep, though a few of us have successfully tested accessing a Dongle
                    > remotely from the other side of the world.
                    >
                    > 73 de VK3JED
                    > http://vkradio.com

                  • p49k
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
                      Will this work outside the LAN, for example let me access the DV
                      Dongle from work so I can run DVtools. If so you please
                      run through the steps in detail. I have never heard of ascpseriald.
                      Is that a program I have to install or is it part of XP Pro operating
                      system?

                      Ken
                      N1KK

                      of

                      > Hi Fran. This is a little more advanced operation than I expected
                      > folks to try (even though several have used it successfully now). I
                      > put this functionality in mainly for debugging network issues.
                      >
                      > You can put the dongle on a host on your LAN, and then run:
                      >
                      > ascpseriald COMX 20002
                      >
                      > on the dongle host where X in COMX is the comm port that the dongle
                      > came up on. You can then use the "use dv device on remote host" with
                      > the IP address and port from the PC on your LAN which has the dongle.

                      > --- In DVDongle@yahoogroups.com, "franmiele" <fran@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am trying to use the dongle from my laptop while it is connected to
                      > > my desktop Via the "Use DV Device on Remote Host" feature. I'm not
                      > > szure how to setup both machines. Are ther instructions somewhere?
                      > >
                      > > Fran, W1FJM

                    • philpage99
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010