1234Re: [DVCLIT] Mechanics’ Institute Archives Intern

  • Sharon Delamore
    Jul 10, 2014
      Don't know if I would be eligible to apply for this internship, but I have never completed my work-study requirement. I believe that is all I need to be qualified to receive a certificate.

      Deb, what do you think? Will they be buried under an avalanche of more qualified applicants? I have been out of circulation for so long, I don't know the lay of the land.

      Sharon Delamore

      On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Deb Hunt dhunt@... [DVCLIT] <DVCLIT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      For Fall Semester -- Please contact me at dhunt@... if interested.

      Thanks,
      Deb

      About the Mechanics’ Institute Library
      The Mechanics' Institute Library and Chess Room (www.milibrary.org) is an historic membership library, cultural event center, and chess club located in the Financial District of San Francisco. Founded in 1854 to serve the vocational needs of out-of-work gold miners, the Institute today is a favorite of avid readers, writers, downtown employees, students, film lovers, chess players, and the 21st century nomadic worker who needs a quiet place to plug in a laptop and do research.

      Develop your love of history and learn archival and library skills as a Mechanics’ Institute Library intern. We are currently in the infancy phase of establishing an institutional archive and organizing our special historical collection of books. Your assistance is needed to help the Mechanics’ Institute accomplish this important mission.

      Training is provided to interns who are expected to work at least 3 hours per week for a minimum of one semester. All work is done on-site at the Library which is located at 57 Post Street, San Francisco, CA.

      This is an unpaid position but can be taken for course credit.

      Skills Required

      • Intermediate level skills with MS Office
      • Enrollment in or completion of a library technology, archives or MLIS program/degree
      • Knowledge of, and interest in, San Francisco and California history and a general interest library
      • Knowledge of, or current coursework in, finding aids
      • Ability to work collaboratively with Mechanics’ Institute Library staff and fellow interns to achieve organizational goals
      • Commitment to learning and a willingness to participate in training when needed
      • Attention to detail and accuracy
      • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both written and verbal
      • Adaptability/flexibility
      • Self-motivated
      • Willingness to ask questions

      Benefits

      • Learning skills at one of the best non-profits in San Francisco
      • Networking and exposure to non-profit work
      • Being part of a positive, historic organization and library team
      • A great letter of recommendation/reference (upon completion of fulfilled duties)
      • Helping to build an historic, accessible archives
      • Improved/increased skillset
      --
      Deborah Hunt, MLS, ECMp
      Principal, Information Edge & Co-author of www.librarianskillbook.com