"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

  • Nicola Daniele
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
      I understand. But nevertheless, I will continue using all
      words - this is linguistics after all. You can censor
      insulting words, but does that mean there's no longer
      any racism or sexism?

      I'm also - as you can imagine - quite aware of what this
      word means. But to imply that I use it not as a quote, but
      as real insulting speech is insulting to me. I hope YOU can
      understand that.

      I just wanted to say that words change their meanings according
      to context, but also diachronically of c. think of the word "wijf" in
      Dutch: that was once the ordinary word for woman, but now it's an
      insulting term. And always bear in mind, "One man's terrorist is
      another man's freedom fighter".

      The same is true of "neger". I guess this is no longer used in Dutch,
      except by people who want to insult others, or by very old-fashioned
      ppl (is there a distinction? well... hard to say I guess. some ppl
      just don't realize. Of c, I also didn't realize that by QUOTING the n-
      word in order to prove a point (namely that words have different
      sociolinguistic implications etc.) that some ppl may be insulted.
      This is of course true in general, in all languages, if I'd use the
      word in German (only as a quote) it may be still perceived as
      insulting. The difference is that even with German words that are
      very insulting it's not that problematic to quote those words - I'm
      sure that's rather different in the US.

      And as i said, I think it is very important to use those words
      accepted by the majority of a group, i.e. say "My Aunt is Jewish"
      rather than "My Aunt's a Jew" or "My aunt's a Jewess" which would be
      very insulting.

      But when talking about "bad words", what do you do - you just don't
      mention them - i.e. not talk about them?
    • Jeme
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
        No, Nicola, you apparently don't understand.

        I've tried to be nice and considerate but enough is enough.

        Look, when someone tells you point blank that you are offending them
        and you continue, it goes beyond being simply rude. It rolls over
        into disrespectul and not giving a damn. Period. Simply put: I've
        had to hear and/or be exposed to that racist garbage for 48 years. I
        come into a group that is by the moderator's definiti"on, NOT YOURS:
        DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP · Dutch and/or English study group
        for "independent" learners who do not have exposure/access to Native
        Speakers/Native Helpers."

        NOWHERE, does it state this is a linguistics group and even if it
        were that would NOT give you the right to repeatedly and
        intentionally insult not only me but other members of the group.

        If someone is stepping on your foot and you tell them it hurts and to
        stop YET that person continues to step on your foot and in fact
        applies even MORE pressure causing more pain it is safe to call that
        person not only inconsiderate but ABUSIVE.

        I will say no more on this subject. I've made myself very clear and
        I don't think this group is the proper place for you OR me to
        continue this discussion. You may contact me by instant messenger if
        you want to continue but I do not welcome anymore of your e-mails.

        Hope de Waardt

        --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@y..., "Nicola Daniele"

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
          My apologies. You're right, it is not
          a linguistics group. It was wrong of me
          to insist.

          nd
        • jose dellepiane
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2001
            I agree with you nicola.. education is not only
            books..If you want to learn a language you must talk
            about every thing, besides bad language is used very,
            very often by every body and it´s indeed part of a
            language you must learn..
            keep up the good work

            Yahoo! Messenger: Comunicación instantánea gratis con tu gente -
            http://messenger.yahoo.es