Re: [DESG] DESG website

  • Richard Arthur
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hoi groep

      Daag van Richard uit Engeland.

      I am starting a Dutch evening class in a couple of weeks, but have been
      lurking on this list for a month or so.

      I really appreciate all the great discussions you are having and have
      started a "file" of useful notes using the format others have previously
      mentioned (Grammar, Phrases, etc.)

      I have also been collecting all the links (niet rechts :-) that people have
      included in their posts. Credit to Evely for a large number of them.

      Anyway, in classic newbie fashion I thought I would include them all here as
      a useful summary. I haven't visited most of them (yet) and have been too
      busy digesting e-mails to even see how many are bookmarked for the group.

      groetjes

      Richard

      p.s. On a technical note - if you post to the group using "Plain Text"
      rather than "Rich Text", Yahoo cannot attach those really annoying adverts
      that try to download stuff if you have received e-mails and read through
      them whilst offline.

      <<
      Bronnen (Resources)
      ================
      Introduction to the Dutch Language (solo effort by R. Rietyink at
      ruud@....)
      http://www.blue.demon.nl/dutch/main.htm

      Think different – Learn Dutch (solo effort by Chris Sonnemans
      chrisson@...)
      very helpful and gives you very nice links
      http://www.learndutch.org/

      Go to http://babel.fpms.ac.be/Dutch/, type the word "juist, (correct,
      exactly)", listen to Els say it a zillion times and then think about how it
      would sound if the ‘t’ were dropped from the end. You may begin to think
      that the English word "yes" came from the same source!

      The first material I ever read is the integral dutch course at
      www.hengeveld.com/dutch

      For my pronunciation difficulties i found Ruud Harmsen' site very helpful,
      www.rudhar.com

      The tree talk phoneme conversion at www.ilk.kub.nl/g2p-www- demo.html is a
      great site. you enter any dutch or english word and you get not only the
      phonetical symbol for it but also you can hear the pronunciation.

      A great site for verb conjugation is www.verbix.com

      A great site for tests
      http://www.goethe-verlag.com/tests/index.htm

      Some tongue twisters:
      http://www.uebersetzung.at/twister/index.htm

      http://www.rnw.nl/holland/html/homonyms.html

      A very practical grammar site to get started is
      www.draak.demon.co.uk/dutch/grammarc.html

      One of the search hits was a page from a university course -- Dutch as a 2nd
      language. A short course on grammar with many examples. Very helpful, IMO.
      http://www.dutchforforeigners.tudelft.nl/studyhelper/twgramm.htm

      8 voor Taal. At first site, it appeared to be somewhat juvenile but I found
      it to be a lot of fun and have visited often. It's a good interactive site
      for beginners (has sound for pronunciation). This site also includes self
      tests.
      http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~kl044/tmain.htm

      Dutch search engines such as
      www.msn.nl www.lycos.nl www.zoek.nl

      This site is a really good introduction;
      http://taalthuis.com/eng/index.htm

      Language resources (crammed with advertising)
      http://www.travlang.com/

      Woordenboek (Dictionary)
      ====================
      A basic dictionary:
      http://www.freedict.com/onldict/dut.html

      A very good online dictionary is:
      http://www.allwords.com
      unlike other dictionaries, this one has a great feature in which you can
      type not only the word, but "words beginning with", "ending with"
      "containing"...and therefore it is very helpful when you are searching for a
      word which you are not sure about the entire spelling, or when you are
      studying prefixes and suffixes

      Because i ended up learning a lot of foul language at Napster Dutch
      chatroom, I thought it would be helpful to access an alternative dictionary
      such as the one at
      www.notam.uio.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Dutch.html
      (note: I do not endorse cursing)

      Algemeen (General)
      ===============
      Here are two links to loads of Dutch nursery rhymes:
      http://www.pinkelotje.nl/kinderliedjes.html
      http://web.inter.nl.net/users/R.Hiddinga/

      www.nlpvf.nl is the site for the Nederlands Literair Produktie-en
      Vertalingenfonds (the Foundation for the Production and Translation of Dutch
      Literature)...this site is wonderful...if you don't know much about Dutch
      writers and their work you must check this one out.

      Guidebooks for the Netherlands
      www.goudengids.nl

      Etymologie (Etymology)
      ==================
      Dutch Linguistics Site
      http://www.onzetaal.nl/

      Merriam-Webster Online (US English dictionary w/ word origins)
      http://www.m-w.com/

      Roots of English - An Etymological Dictionary*
      by Prof. Eugene Cotter, Seton Hall University (cottereu@...)
      http://pirate.shu.edu/~cottereu/rootsof.htm

      Krant (Newspapers)
      ===============
      Volkskrant online
      http://www.volkskrant.nl/

      I know 'het financieel dagblad' has some pages of their website translated
      in English about Dutch news. But because it is a finance newspaper most is
      focused on business/finance. Here is the link: http://www.fd.nl/Home.asp On
      the menu in the left you can see a link 'news in English'.

      Choose from a variety of them at
      www.scapeartist.com/netherlands/media.htm

      Link to lots of NL newspapers
      http://www.start4all.com/newspapers/ned.htm

      Radio op Internet
      =============
      Links to Dutch radio stations on-line
      http://www.radiowereld.nl/

      Radio Vlaanderen International (daily news bulletin archived twice daily)
      http://www.wrn.org/ondemand/belgium.html

      List of stations by country (Netherlands isn't on the list but could use it
      as a starting point)
      http://www.wrn.org/ondemand/

      Link to lots of stations (slow and sometimes fails)
      http://rivendel.com:80/~ric/resources/real.html

      Vertaling (Translation)
      =================
      Eerste ding moet je downloaden de P1 Vertaal woordenboek voor je PC. (First
      thing, you must download the P1 translation dictionary for your PC.)
      www.p1.com.

      On-line word translation. Also powerful translation tools and dictionary –
      free trial and product for purchase.
      http://www.babylon.com/

      (see language resources above). Direct link to translation part of the site;
      http://www.travlang.com/languages/

      Free on-line word translation between various languages
      http://dictionaries.travlang.com/

      Vocabulary Master Flashcard system – Register then buy cd-rom or download
      for free
      http://www.tldownload.com/

      Yahoo
      =====
      To access the Yahoo! Groups web site, please visit
      http://groups.yahoo.com

      Dutch-English Study Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP

      Resource Files
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP/files

      Another list with great info:
      d4e-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Evie Fieseler
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
        Wow, Richard! Excellent summary.

        Evie
      • nppv@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2001
          --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@y..., "Richard Arthur" <rich@i...>
          wrote:

          > > I have also been collecting all the links (niet rechts :-) that
          people have
          > included in their posts.

          Hi Richard uit Engeland

          wow...your list is pretty much like a quilt...the study quilt of DESG

          Evely
        • Henry Pijffers
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2001
            I shall put that under "Downloads", Evie.
            I guess I can pluck a good description from their website?

            Henry

            Evie Fieseler (fieseler@...) schreev: