[DESG] Re: ^Cu vi parolas Esperanto? / Spreekt je Esperanto?

  • oelph@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Alfred,

      I'm of the personal belief that those n's would almost immediately
      start disappearing from the spoken language and perhaps begin to fall
      away in the written too. (Making the comparison to Dutch and the
      dropping of the n's in spoken speech too).

      Regards.

    • alfredb@erols.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        For the most part, I agree; however, it depends on the native language
        of the speaker. Germans, Poles, Russians would find the -n natural and
        useful. -- As would most speakers once they got used to it. It allows
        more freedom in word-order. It's also easier than in other languages
        in that it's used consistently for nouns, adjectives, and even
        pronouns where both English and Dutch still make the subject/object
        distinction. After all, Esperanto is now 114 years old and the -n is
        still there, so far with no sign of disappearing.

        But I guess this is getting a little off-topic. To bring it back,
        shouldn't the second part of the subject line also be "Spreek je
        Esperanto?"

        Alfred

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          > But I guess this is getting a little off-topic. To bring it back,
          > shouldn't the second part of the subject line also be "Spreek je
          > Esperanto?"
          >
          > Alfred

          Ack yes Alfred it should be! Thanks for pointing that one out! :)