Could somebody check a wordlist?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi :-)

      I've created a word list for Vocabulary Master entitled *Eating out*.
      Is there anybody that could check the correctness of it for me? as I have
      only been learning Dutch for about 1 month and may have made a few typo's
      (with Dutch) which I may not notice at this stage....
      There are 119 words most of which I've added the pronunciation too..

      I will put it up on a web site as soon as I know it's correct, so that
      anybody who wants a copy can..

      Cheers
      Mark
    • Lisa Vautier
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
        On 1 Jun 2001, at 11:23, Mark wrote:

        > Hi :-)
        >
        > I've created a word list for Vocabulary Master entitled *Eating out*.
        > Is there anybody that could check the correctness of it for me?

        Hi Mark,
        Very nice job with the word list. I find building specialized word
        lists with VM to be a good way to study Dutch, particularly since
        the word lists are such good tools afterwards.
        You can use food related lists to help you read the Dutch
        cooking newsgroup, or cookbooks. Since recipes tend to be pretty
        straight forward, and most use a finite vocabulary they are great for
        reading practice.
        Another example, I built a word list of animal names and animal
        related terms ( vleeseter - carnivorous). With that I was able to
        look up articles targeted for young people about animals or zoos in
        the Netherlands.

        Comments on the list.
        Trying to include phonological spelling to hep with pronunciation is
        particularly difficult since it can be interpreted differently by different
        people. I am sure that anyone who remembers the "sounds like"
        discussions will agree. My favorite is (ouw yuh) for uien. For some
        reason it took me months to learn to pronounce that word.
        Just to keep it consistent, I think the short 'a' in aardappelen is the
        same as the short 'a' in sap. So perhaps (aard ahppuhls) would be
        better than (aard uhppuhls).
        Also I went through and added the articles to the nouns since
        that is something that I use VM to practice. For anyone who
        wishes to do the same all of the nouns take a "de" except for the
        following:
        het broodje
        het dagmenu
        het hoofdgerecht
        het koekje
        het sap
        het vlees
        het voorgerecht

        drop can be het or de
        and I couldn't find carbonade in my dictionary.

        I thought you did a good job on creating a list of words that
        would be useful in a typical dutch restaurant while avoiding words
        that most people would pick up in more general lists ( ex melk,
        brood, or jong and oud). I know that when I started thinking of
        other things to add I came up with lots of things that would require
        more explanation than you could put in VM ( ex frites oorlog).

        Possible additions

        pittige - spicy
        de snoep - candy
        roomachtig - creamy
        romig - also creamy
        fond - rich stock
        de slagroom- whipped cream
        het voorgerecht - appetizer
        de entree- also appetizers
        gepofte aardappel - baked potatoe
        de tong - sole
        de rivierkreeft - crayfish
        de rekening - the bill
        de schotel - dish
        gemengde - mixed
        frites of fritjes - fries
        frites met - frites with mayonnaise
        de entrecote - New York strip dict says prime rib.
        de Ossehaas - filet mignon
        varkenshaas - pork tenderloin
        kroket - croquette
        het bijgerecht - side dish
        thuisbezorging - delivery
        gratis - free
        biologische - organic
        gehakt - ground
        het nagerecht - dessert
        het Hoofdgerecht - main dish
        het kruid - herb
        de specerij - spice
        de saus - sauce
        gemarineerd - marinated
        vegetarische - vegetarian
        stampot - a dish with a base of mashed potatoes
        heet - hot as in spicy
        de uitsmijter - fried egg dish
        het vleesnat - broth

        and my favorites
        dakloze slakken - homeless snails - escargot
        kikker billetjes - frog butts, or froglegs.

        Mark, thanks again for the list. You inspired me to put up a
        couple of my own lists in the files section. I tend to have a lot of
        lists as 'works in progress' it would be great to have some of them
        as collaborative projects.

        Best Regards,

        Lisa in Rotterdam
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
                Very nice job with the word list.  I find building specialized word

          Can't take all the credit for the list. Angi corrected/added a few things for me which was very helpful.

          Comments on the list.
          Trying to include phonological spelling to hep with pronunciation is
          particularly difficult since it can be interpreted differently by different
          people.

          I've only been learning Dutch about a month and so I included the pronunciation as I was finding it very helpful at this stage to have it. Alot of the words I have on tape etc and so it was really there as a reminder to myself more than an an absolute.
          One slight problem I have found with adding pronunciation, is that if you switch the flashcards round so that they display English and you have to type Dutch is that you have to type the pronunciation too.
          So next list I make I think I will leave them out, or add them to a second copy just for my reference.

          Possible additions
          I'll have to add these to an Eating out 2 list.......

           it would be great to have some of them
          as collaborative projects.

          Could we not have a joint directory on the files directory, where any member could upload them. Or can people only upload to directories that they have created. anyone know?

          Lisa: Just downloaded your lists and will give them a try.

          Cheers
          Mark