Re: [DESG] Study partner or group

  • smckne55
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
      I also agree. I have found that most Dutch people are very welcoming and eager to help me, in English and Dutch.

      Shawn

      --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, ACCESS CJ wrote:

      > Thanks Elisabeth.
      > You put my point across much better than I did myself. Haha. Totally agree
      > with you!
      >

      > Codee.
      >

      > 2013/1/13 Elisabeth Ramadhan
      >
      > > I think, Ottavio, your comment shows your lack of respect or understanding.
      > > If you speak two or more languages, you tend to answer someone in their
      > > native language when you hear it spoken, and it is not necessarily a
      > > sophisticated (whatever that means) form of racism. I, also, do not see how
      > > an exchange of languages is related to race, but .....
      > >
      > > I think you may have little knowledge of Dutch history. It is a very small
      > > country that has one of, if not THE, busiest harbors in the world.
      > > Communicating with foreigners created the need for learning more than one's
      > > own language. Furthermore, most television programs are in English giving
      > > them an incentive to learn that language even though subtitles may be
      > > available.
      > >
      > > I am sure that you make them aware that you wish to learn the language,
      > > they would comply. No all Dutch people speak English, but those living in
      > > large cities such as Amsterdam are much more inclined to know English.
      > >
      > > Why bother learning Dutch only for yourself? Since you refuse to
      > > communicate with anyone in Dutch, it seems rather a lost cause.
      > >
      > > Elisabeth
      > >
      > > On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Ottavio Caruso
      > >wrote:
      > >
      > > > **

      > > them
      > > > in
      > > >
      > > > I think this is a lack of respect for foreigners and indeed a very
      > > > sophisticated form of racism. This is one of the reason I didn't
      > > > integrate in Holland and decided to get away. I personally refuse to
      > > > speak back to anyone who deny me a chat in their own language.
      > > >
      > > > I am still studying Dutch but I am keeping it for myself now.
      > > >

      > > --
      > > Elisabeth Ramadhan@...
      > >
      > > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
      > > minds.
      > > Bob Marley==Redemption Song

      > --
      > www.justconnect.eu
      > Access Communication & Technology
      > Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.

    • xander vanRossum
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
        Well Ottavio, I guess you learned something!  We Dutch folks are very nice, except when you say we are not! Hehe!  Your experience must have come with dealing with a kaaskopje... A Belgian, of course! ...just kidding!

        xander van Rossum