Re: [DESG] Study partner or group

  • ACCESS CJ
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2013
      It's kinda hard when you have difficulty meeting people and your man is
      away at work.
      You can add justconnect.eu to your skype if you like. I will gladly accept.
      Just please tell me who you are in the message before sending the request.

      groetjes
      Codee.

      *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      www.justconnect.eu
      Access Communication & Technology
      Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.
    • Elisabeth Ramadhan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013
        I think, Ottavio, your comment shows your lack of respect or understanding.
        If you speak two or more languages, you tend to answer someone in their
        native language when you hear it spoken, and it is not necessarily a
        sophisticated (whatever that means) form of racism. I, also, do not see how
        an exchange of languages is related to race, but .....

        I think you may have little knowledge of Dutch history. It is a very small
        country that has one of, if not THE, busiest harbors in the world.
        Communicating with foreigners created the need for learning more than one's
        own language. Furthermore, most television programs are in English giving
        them an incentive to learn that language even though subtitles may be
        available.

        I am sure that you make them aware that you wish to learn the language,
        they would comply. No all Dutch people speak English, but those living in
        large cities such as Amsterdam are much more inclined to know English.

        Why bother learning Dutch only for yourself? Since you refuse to
        communicate with anyone in Dutch, it seems rather a lost cause.

        Elisabeth

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
          Thanks Elisabeth.
          You put my point across much better than I did myself. Haha. Totally agree
          with you!

          Codee.

          *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          www.justconnect.eu
          Access Communication & Technology
          Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.
        • smckne55
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
            I also agree. I have found that most Dutch people are very welcoming and eager to help me, in English and Dutch.

            Shawn

          • xander vanRossum
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 15, 2013
              Well Ottavio, I guess you learned something!  We Dutch folks are very nice, except when you say we are not! Hehe!  Your experience must have come with dealing with a kaaskopje... A Belgian, of course! ...just kidding!

              xander van Rossum