Questions

  • Jolena
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 2, 2013
      Hoi,

      I have two questions.

      First, I am trying to figure out when to use niet and when to use geen.

      Here are two example sentences:

      Nee, wij hebben het niet koud.

      Nee, ik heb geen honger.

      Second, when to use jouw and when to use uw.

      I think jouw is used in informal settings and uw is used in more formal exchanges but am not sure.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Bedankt.

      Jolena

    • Elisabeth Ramadhan
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 2, 2013
        Hello Jolena,

        When growing up in Holland, you learn those difference automatically. You
        made me think about them. Having left the country at age 13 in 1956, I
        cannot easily explain the diffence in use, but perhaps giving some examples
        will help.

        Ik heb geen honger. (Literally) I have no hunger.
        Ik heb geen auto. I have no car.
        Ik heb geen zin. I have no desire.
        Ik ben geen idioot. I am no idiot
        Ik ben geen moeder. I am no mother

        Ik heb het niet koud (Literally) I have it not cold.
        Ik ben niet jong. I am not young.
        Ik ga niet naar de stad. I go not to the city.
        Hij gaat niet naar buiten. He goes not to outside.
        Zij schiet niet op. She hurries not (up) Split verb--opschieten

        Hope this helps. Looks like we can deduce that the use of 'geen' is 'no',
        and the use of 'niet' is 'not.'

        As for 'jouw' and 'uw.' Much clearer here. Jouw is the possessive of you
        used in the familiar (friends, peers, etc.) Your boat--jouw boat.

        Uw is the polite form of your. I would address a stranger with 'uw.' Your
        boat--uw boat.

        In Spanish jou would be tu, and u would be usted

        I don't see the younger people in Holland sticking to that polite and
        familiar form too much any more. I hear a lot of je, jij, jou, jouw, etc.

        Elly
        In French, if I remember correctly, you would be tu, and u would be vous.

        On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Jolena <nederlands@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hoi,
        >
        > I have two questions.
        >
        > First, I am trying to figure out when to use niet and when to use geen.
        >
        > Here are two example sentences:
        >
        > Nee, wij hebben het niet koud.
        >
        > Nee, ik heb geen honger.
        >
        > Second, when to use jouw and when to use uw.
        >
        > I think jouw is used in informal settings and uw is used in more formal
        > exchanges but am not sure.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Bedankt.
        >
        > Jolena

        Elisabeth Ramadhan@...

        Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
        minds.
        Bob Marley==Redemption Song

      • ACCESS CJ
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 2, 2013
          I'd like to add to Elizabeth's explanation.

          In the examples that she gave you can see that geen is mostly used when it
          is followed by a noun or a word that can be classed as a noun. [words such
          as objects]

          Niet is used when followed by other words that don't fall in the category
          of noun.

          Hope this helps.

          Codee.
          --
          *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          www.justconnect.eu
        • Elisabeth Ramadhan
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2013
            But, Codee, aren't koud, jong and stad also nouns?

            Elisabeth

            On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, ACCESS CJ <access2b@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'd like to add to Elizabeth's explanation.
            >
            > In the examples that she gave you can see that geen is mostly used when it
            > is followed by a noun or a word that can be classed as a noun. [words such
            > as objects]
            >
            > Niet is used when followed by other words that don't fall in the category
            > of noun.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > Codee.
            > --
            > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > www.justconnect.eu
            > Access Communication & Technology
            > Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.

            Elisabeth Ramadhan@...

            Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
            minds.
            Bob Marley==Redemption Song

          • Soraya Jeroense
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 3, 2013
              Dear all,

              Koud = cold is an adjective
              Jong = young is also an adjective
              Stad = city is a noun

              Actually it is not only the matter of whether it is a noun or not. You also
              have to see whether you refer that noun originates from a definite
              noun (bepaald lidwoord = het/de including dit, dat, die en deze) or
              indefinite noun ( onbepaald lidwoord = een)

              For example:
              If you want so say in general that you don't have any idea, you can say
              ''Ik heb geen idee'' but when it refers to something like specific in
              conversation about certain idea which was mentioned before you can say ''Ik
              heb* het idee* *niet*

              For more complete explanation, see my attachment. It's got also exercises.
              Best regards,

              Aya

              On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Elisabeth Ramadhan <lizramadhan@...>wrote:

              > But, Codee, aren't koud, jong and stad also nouns?
              >
              > Elisabeth
              >
              > On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, ACCESS CJ <access2b@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I'd like to add to Elizabeth's explanation.
              > >
              > > In the examples that she gave you can see that geen is mostly used when
              > it
              > > is followed by a noun or a word that can be classed as a noun. [words
              > such
              > > as objects]
              > >
              > > Niet is used when followed by other words that don't fall in the category
              > > of noun.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps.
              > >
              > > Codee.
              > > --
              > > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > > www.justconnect.eu
              > > Access Communication & Technology
              > > Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.
              > >

              > --
              > Elisabeth Ramadhan@...
              >
              > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
              > minds.
              > Bob Marley==Redemption Song

            • ACCESS CJ
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 3, 2013
                Hi Elizabeth.

                A noun is an object, the name of a person, or the name of a place. So wods
                like jong, oud, koud, warm dik en dun are not classed as nouns. De stad is
                indeed a noun but in the sentence *ik ga niet naar de stad* the word that
                directly follows niet is naar. therefore we use the word niet as naar is
                not a noun.

                Codee.

                *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 3, 2013
                  Bedankt Elizabeth,

                  That does shine a bit of light on the difference.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 3, 2013
                    Hoi Aya,

                    This group does not allow attachments. Would you send it to me directly at nederlands@...

                    Bedankt

                    Jolena

                    Actually it is not only the matter of whether it is a noun or not. You also
                    have to see whether you refer that noun originates from a definite
                    noun (bepaald lidwoord = het/de including dit, dat, die en deze) or
                    indefinite noun ( onbepaald lidwoord = een)

                    For example:
                    If you want so say in general that you don't have any idea, you can say
                    ''Ik heb geen idee'' but when it refers to something like specific in
                    conversation about certain idea which was mentioned before you can say ''Ik
                    heb* het idee* *niet*

                    For more complete explanation, see my attachment. It's got also exercises.
                    Best regards,

                    Aya

                    On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM, Elisabeth Ramadhan <lizramadhan@...>wrote:

                    > But, Codee, aren't koud, jong and stad also nouns?
                    >
                    > Elisabeth
                    >
                    > On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, ACCESS CJ <access2b@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > I'd like to add to Elizabeth's explanation.
                    > >
                    > > In the examples that she gave you can see that geen is mostly used when
                    > it
                    > > is followed by a noun or a word that can be classed as a noun. [words
                    > such
                    > > as objects]
                    > >
                    > > Niet is used when followed by other words that don't fall in the category
                    > > of noun.
                    > >
                    > > Hope this helps.
                    > >
                    > > Codee.
                    > > --
                    > > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > > www.justconnect.eu
                    > > Access Communication & Technology
                    > > Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Elisabeth Ramadhan@...
                    >
                    > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
                    > minds.
                    > Bob Marley==Redemption Song

                  • Elisabeth Ramadhan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 11, 2013
                      I am not that familiar with Dutch grammar, so thank you for the
                      explanation. In English, the verb 'to be' takes the nominative case, which
                      is mostly ignored both in spoken and written language here in the States. A
                      noun is, indeed, the name of a person, place, or thing. Anything describing
                      a noun is an adjective, and words such as 'koud' and 'jong' would be
                      adjectives as they describe a state of being.

                      Shame on me, I should have known better. So, thank you again. I will think
                      twice next time before responding.

                      O, mijn naam schrijf je met een 'S' geen 'Z'. :)

                      Elly

                    • sjrtranslations
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 9, 2013
                        Hi Elisabeth,

                        Although, it has been stated that you use "geen" when referring to nouns, nobody has yet pointed out, as far as I can see, that the word "geen" is used in most (if not all?) cases as a (mandatory?) contraction of "niet + een".

                        Drawing from a couple of earlier examples, rather than saying:

                        Ik heb niet een auto > Ik heb geen auto
                        Ik ben niet een idioot > Ik ben geen idioot

                        Similarly in "geen cent waard zijn" (not worth a cent, i.e. niet een cent).

                        Hope that helps clarify matters somewhat!
                        Stuart

                        --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Elisabeth Ramadhan <lizramadhan@...> wrote:

                        > I am not that familiar with Dutch grammar, so thank you for the
                        > explanation. In English, the verb 'to be' takes the nominative case, which
                        > is mostly ignored both in spoken and written language here in the States. A
                        > noun is, indeed, the name of a person, place, or thing. Anything describing
                        > a noun is an adjective, and words such as 'koud' and 'jong' would be
                        > adjectives as they describe a state of being.
                        >
                        > Shame on me, I should have known better. So, thank you again. I will think
                        > twice next time before responding.
                        >
                        > O, mijn naam schrijf je met een 'S' geen 'Z'. :)
                        >
                        > Elly
                        >
                        > On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM, ACCESS CJ <access2b@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Hi Elizabeth.
                        > >
                        > > A noun is an object, the name of a person, or the name of a place. So wods
                        > > like jong, oud, koud, warm dik en dun are not classed as nouns. De stad is
                        > > indeed a noun but in the sentence *ik ga niet naar de stad* the word that
                        > > directly follows niet is naar. therefore we use the word niet as naar is
                        > > not a noun.
                        > >
                        > > Codee.
                        > >
                        > > 2013/1/3 Elisabeth Ramadhan lizramadhan@...>
                        > >
                        > > > But, Codee, aren't koud, jong and stad also nouns?

                        > > > it
                        > > > such

                        > > category

                        > > > --
                        > > > Elisabeth Ramadhan@...
                        > > >
                        > > > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free
                        > > our
                        > > > minds.
                        > > > Bob Marley==Redemption Song

                        > > --
                        > > *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        > > www.justconnect.eu
                        > > Access Communication & Technology
                        > > Spoken Languages: English & Dutch.
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Elisabeth Ramadhan@...
                        >
                        > Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our
                        > minds.
                        > Bob Marley==Redemption Song

                      • Elisabeth Ramadhan
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 9, 2013
                          Alles heel aardig verklaart, en weer bedankt!

                          Elisabeth aka Elly aka Liz