Re: [DESG] Best place to study Dutch in the Netherlands

  • Heather Gilhespy
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29 8:33 AM
      How exciting for you..................... I want to take the plunge and move to the Netherlands too in a few months. So this would be really helpful for me too.

      And how nice to hear from the group! I love hearing Dutch and hearing from people who love Dutch!

      Heather

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29 1:16 PM
        Hello Bokassa,

        > I hope this mailing list is not dead yet.

        It's pretty much in coma, but not quite dead yet.

        > So which other place would be good to join a school for say 3-6 months? Ideally I
        > am looking for a place near the German border. Thank you. Any suggestions
        > welcome.

        I would recommend Enschede, which is right on the German border. It's
        a larger city (150.000+ inhabitants), with all the facilities you
        could need (including a university and a college). Another plus is
        that in Enschede you would be exposed to different Dutch accents,
        which makes your ear more flexible.

        (Ok, I live there, so I may be prejudiced :P)

        If there's anything else we can help with, please ask.

        regards,
        Henry
      • halen grbich
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29 1:50 PM
          I completely agree about Enschede. I lived in the Netherlands for a year on a student exchange (as I'm from New Zealand). I stayed in a place not far from Enschede called Nijverdal which was nice, but Enschede is right near the German border and I went there quite a few times since it has everything. Its a beautiful city

          ________________________________
          > I hope this mailing list is not dead yet.

          It's pretty much in coma, but not quite dead yet.

          > So which other place would be good to join a school for say 3-6 months? Ideally I
          > am looking for a place near the German border. Thank you. Any suggestions
          > welcome.

          I would recommend Enschede, which is right on the German border. It's
          a larger city (150.000+ inhabitants), with all the facilities you
          could need (including a university and a college). Another plus is
          that in Enschede you would be exposed to different Dutch accents,
          which makes your ear more flexible.

          (Ok, I live there, so I may be prejudiced :P)

          If there's anything else we can help with, please ask.

          regards,
          Henry

        • Henry Pijffers
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29 4:56 PM
            On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Bokassa <bokassa2010@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Henry, Enschede could be a valid alternative to Maastricht. I
            > am a bit put off by the Wikipedia page of the Tweants dialect:
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweants
            >
            > I don't want to find myself in the same situation as Maastricht, where
            > I ended up communicating in English because the locals refused to
            > speak Dutch. Can you clarify this for me?

            Enschede is totally different from Maastricht, and used to people from
            all over the world coming to study here. People from Twente do speak
            Twents, that's right, but they will switch to Dutch, English, German,
            or something else if others don't speak it. So that's not going to be
            any problem.

            > Yes, one more thing Henry. Is there such a thing as a Open University
            > or Vrije University or anything equivalent to the German VHS in
            > Enschede, where they teach part-time or full-time "nederlands voor
            > anderstaligen" at reasonable prices?

            There is: the Volksuniversiteit.

            http://www.vuenschede.nl/cursussen_algemeen/ned-dutch-for-non-dutch
            http://www.vuenschede.nl/cursussen_algemeen/ned-dutch-for-non-dutch/cursus.php?id=32
            http://www.vuenschede.nl/cursussen_algemeen/ned-dutch-for-non-dutch/cursus.php?id=31

            The price of either course is €270,-

            > If so, I would be tempted to
            > study both Dutch in Entschede and German at some VHS in Germany (maybe
            > Gronau?).

            Yes, Gronau is close to Enschede, and can be easily reached by bus,
            train, car, and even per bicycle (hey, if you're going Dutch...). The
            Volkshochschule there offers German courses:

            http://www.vhs-gronau.de/index.php?id=26&urlparameter=kathaupt%253A1%253Bkatid%3A22%3Bkatvaterid%3A4%3Bkatname%3ADeutsch%3B

            Not bad, €68,-

            regards,
            Henry
          • Tiana Kulenovic
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29 11:03 PM
              Hallo;)

              I would rather recommend Arnhem which is also right on the German border!It is the capital of the province of Gelderland .Arnhem has almost 150,000 residents (per 1 January 2012) as one of the larger and most beautiful cities of the Netherlands.

              Arnheim is the German name for Arnhem; it more clearly refers to the origin of the name (heim = home).

              Enjoy your trip!

              Tiana

              ________________________________
              I completely agree about Enschede. I lived in the Netherlands for a year on a student exchange (as I'm from New Zealand). I stayed in a place not far from Enschede called Nijverdal which was nice, but Enschede is right near the German border and I went there quite a few times since it has everything. Its a beautiful city

              ________________________________
              > I hope this mailing list is not dead yet.

              It's pretty much in coma, but not quite dead yet.

              > So which other place would be good to join a school for say 3-6 months? Ideally I
              > am looking for a place near the German border. Thank you. Any suggestions
              > welcome.

              I would recommend Enschede, which is right on the German border. It's
              a larger city (150.000+ inhabitants), with all the facilities you
              could need (including a university and a college). Another plus is
              that in Enschede you would be exposed to different Dutch accents,
              which makes your ear more flexible.

              (Ok, I live there, so I may be prejudiced :P)

              If there's anything else we can help with, please ask.

              regards,
              Henry

            • Bokassa
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30 2:43 AM
                On 30 March 2012 07:03, Tiana Kulenovic <tiana_kulenovic@...> wrote:

                > I would rather recommend Arnhem which is also right on the German border!It is the capital of the province of Gelderland .Arnhem has almost 150,000 residents (per 1 January 2012) as one of the larger and most beautiful cities of the Netherlands.
                >
                > Arnheim is the German name for Arnhem; it more clearly refers to the origin of the name (heim = home).

                Thanks Tiana. Arnhem and Nijmegen are also under consideration. I am
                only planning to live in Holland for a year to improve my Dutch then
                I'd rather live in Germany and commute to Holland because rents are
                cheaper in Germany and most Dutch employers pay travel expenses
                from/to work. In fact I regret not moving to Aachen when I was working
                in Maastricht.
              • Gema Fernández
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2012
                  Hi Henry, hi group,

                  Please look at this:

                  http://www.leernederlands.com/intensieve_cursussen_nederlands.html

                  http://www.leernederlands.com/i7_prijzen_intensieve_cursussen_nederlands.html

                  Does anyone of you know where to find something like this in Holland to learn Dutch?
                  I mean an intensive conversation training in very few days in a row till being able to express myself fluently and spontaneously?
                  (I have attended and approved  the "inburgering cursus",  I read lots of Dutch newspapers every day in my trip Rotterdam  - Amsterdam - Rotterdam to go to work but I am in the very beginning in conversationand speaking abilities)

                  Thanks!

                  Gema