Please help with an English -> Dutch translation

  • amrush71
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that means "hurry."

      "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname in Dutch.

      Thanks for your help!
    • Godwin Stewart
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
        On 08/06/09 16:52, amrush71 wrote:

        > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the word
        > "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the sense
        > of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an online
        > translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that means
        > "hurry."

        You need to work with the botanical name for the plant.

        Plants of the rush family are of the genus "Juncus". Looking that up on
        Dutch language pages throws up results such as these:

        http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus_(geslacht)

        --
        G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

        Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow,
        next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability
        afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.
        -- Winston Churchill
      • Evie Fieseler
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
          Zoek op moerasplanten:

          http://www.agua.be/planten/soorten/plantenSoort.php?sort=1 (met fotos)

          enz.

          groejtes,
          Evie

          amrush71 wrote:

          > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the
          > word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the
          > sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an
          > online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that
          > means "hurry."
          >
          > "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who
          > lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this
          > translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname
          > in Dutch.
          >
          > Thanks for your help!

        • Mike Roberts
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
            Rush = Rus
            Common Rush = Pitrus
            Flowering Rush = Zwarenbloem

            Mike R

            - - -

            On 8 Jun 2009, at 16:52, amrush71 wrote:

            > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of
            > the word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather
            > in the sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to
            > use an online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for
            > the word that means "hurry."
            >
            > "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people
            > who lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what
            > this translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an
            > equivalent surname in Dutch.
            >
            > Thanks for your help!
          • Evie Fieseler
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
              Oooh, ook dit: Juncus = Latin name for the rush

              amrush71 wrote:

              > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the
              > word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the
              > sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an
              > online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that
              > means "hurry."
              >
              > "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who
              > lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this
              > translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname
              > in Dutch.
              >
              > Thanks for your help!
            • Evie Fieseler
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
                Oke, nu dit:

                Juncaceae - Russenfamilie | AnneTannes Kruidenklets
                - [ Translate this page ]
                ... Commeliniden heb ik alleen een paar leden van de Russenfamilie op de
                foto. ... Juncus effusus - Pitrus. Als kind kende ik dit 'gras' al bij
                naam, ... Maar al kende ik het met de naam 'pitrus', we noemden het toch
                meestal 'biezen'. ...
                www.annetanne.be/kruidenklets/flora/juncaceae-russenfamilie/ - Cached -
                Similar pages

                klaar!
                Evie

                amrush71 wrote:

                > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the
                > word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the
                > sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an
                > online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that
                > means "hurry."
                >
                > "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who
                > lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this
                > translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname
                > in Dutch.
                >
                > Thanks for your help!

              • natacha datema zeh
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
                  --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, "amrush71" <amrush71@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that means "hurry."
                  >
                  > "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname in Dutch.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your help!

                  ja het word is Jute a plant used to make rustic cloth with
                • Natacha Zeh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
                    The word is Jute an old form of making cloth with

                    ________________________________
                    De: amrush71 <amrush71@...>
                    Para: DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com
                    Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 8 de Junho de 2009 12:52:28
                    Assunto: [DESG] Please help with an English -> Dutch translation

                    Hello, group. I am trying to figure out the Dutch translation of the word "rush." But not "rush" in the sense of "hurry," but rather in the sense of the plant that grows in marshy areas. When I try to use an online translation engine, all I get is the equivalent for the word that means "hurry."

                    "Rush" is my surname, and it derives from the plant (either people who lived near them or weaved with them). I am curious to know what this translates to in Dutch, and also whether there is an equivalent surname in Dutch.

                    Thanks for your help!

                    http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

                  • Godwin Stewart
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 8, 2009
                      On 08/06/09 18:37, Natacha Zeh wrote:

                      > The word is Jute an old form of making cloth with

                      Are you sure of that? Jute is the "Corchorus" family that has little to do
                      with rush. And I think the plant used to make cloth and sacks was hemp
                      (Eupatorium cannabinum), although jute may well have been used for that as well.

                      --
                      G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

                      Do molecular biologists wear designer genes?
                    • manuel tirador
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                        hi there.

                        rush... you can say snel or dringend. it depends on how you use the word. to be safe. you can use "snel" for rush. if you use that word everybody can understand you especially if you are in nederland.  you don't need to translate a word literally because it won't be nice.

                        manny

                        G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@ horwits.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                          On 10/06/09 09:41, manuel tirador wrote:

                          > rush... you can say snel or dringend. it depends on how you use the word.

                          What does this have to do with the plant?

                          The OP specifically said that the plant, and NOT the "hurry" meaning was
                          intended here.

                          --
                          G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

                          There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what
                          the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
                          replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another
                          theory which states that this has already happened.
                        • manuel tirador
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                            hi again.

                            yeah you are right. about the plant. hahahahahaha. My mistake... i didn't read the whole story.... i thought someone want to translate hurry only to dutch... sorry...

                            manny

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 10, 2009
                              On 10/06/09 14:59, manuel tirador wrote:

                              > yeah you are right. about the plant. hahahahahaha. My mistake... i didn't
                              > read the whole story.... i thought someone want to translate hurry only
                              > to dutch... sorry...

                              Let's just say that you were in a rush to help :)

                              --
                              G. Stewart - grs.ygroups@...

                              Frisbeetarianism, n.:
                              The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and
                              gets stuck.
                            • manuel tirador
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 11, 2009
                                Hi Godwin,

                                You are right again.... I'm in rush to help. tsk tsk tsk....
                                so do you speak dutch now?

                                manny