RE: [DESG] Maar/wel

  • glyn Lloyd
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2008
      Hi there Chris, hoe gaat het.

      FIRST let me say that the replies some people give to questions is frankly unhelpful. One of the repliesto this was "learn to live with it"!!.

      Now , the use of maar and toch is a means of turning an instuction or command into a suggestion or request.
      I found the following very useful on this matter.

      Teach Yourself Beginner's dutch (it is the brown one and is the preceeding edition to the pink one you are using). Chapter 10 is called "kom binnen" and gives good examples of when and how to include maar and toch in instructions. I am sure you can buy this on ebay or amazon market place very cheaply and I still find the later chapters of this book useful in my own study.

      Regards.
      Glyn

      To: dutch-english-study-group@yahoogroups.comFrom: beta_leonis@...: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:10:11 -0500Subject: [DESG] Maar/wel

      I'm currently learning Dutch from the "Teach Yourself" book/CD. In the dialog for lesson 9, there's a sentence:"Geef je jas maar, ik hang hem wel op".What is the purpose of the words "maar" and "wel" in this sentence? I understand that "wel" is used as the opposite of "geen" or "niet", but I've never understood the pattern of when to use it. Why not just say, "ik hang hem op"?And I don't know the purpose of "maar" in that sentence at all.Thanks again for you all's help ...!__________________________________________________________In a rush? Get real-time answers with Windows Live Messenger.http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_realtime_042008[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]