Re: [DESG] Re: Perfect past tense

  • Karri Hall
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 3:01 AM
      Just curious, which study guide are you using?
      --- glyn_the_grey <glynlloyd_7@...> wrote:

      > Dank U zeer!!!!!!!!!!!
      >
      > Yes, there is something I don't know!, the
      > grammatical form of the
      > passive voice.
      >
      > My study text doesn't cover it until almost the last
      > page of the
      > last chapter and I haven't got that far yet.
      >
      > From my initial readings, the passive means that the
      > subject of the
      > sentance is not active; something is being done to
      > it, him/her, them.
      >
      > Then there appears to be two forms of passive past
      > perfect:
      >
      > Real passive - worden
      >
      > Apparent passive - zijn, which indicates a state.
      >
      > Therefore : is gebakken
      > is gemaakt
      >
      > There is SO much to learn!!
      >
      > Glyn
      >

      > --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com,
      > Godwin Stewart
      > <gstewart@...> wrote:
      >

      > > It's the passive voice.
      > >
      > > "It is made from meat"
      > >
      > > --
      > > G. Stewart - gstewart@...
      > >
      > > Are Linux users lemmings collectively jumping off
      > of the cliff of
      > > reliable, well-engineered commercial software?
      > > -- Matt Welsh

    • glyn_the_grey
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 9:26 AM
        --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Karri Hall
        <kshall71@...> wrote:

        > Just curious, which study guide are you using?
        > --- glyn_the_grey <glynlloyd_7@...> wrote:

        Hi there.

        My main study text is:

        Teach Yourself Dutch by Gerdi Quist & Dennis Strik.

        It is the one with the poppies on the cover
        isbn:0-0340-85828-1. It also comes with a CD pack.

        The above book expains the use of the passive voice, but it only
        covers the real passive - worden.

        I found out about the apparent passive - zijn, from the grammar
        sections of:

        201 dutch verbs by Henry R. Stern. isbn 0-8120-0738-7.

        Hope this helps.

        "It's never easy!"

        Glyn.

        _______________
        > Like movies? Here's a limited-time offer: Blockbuster Total Access
        for one month at no cost.

      • Godwin Stewart
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 10:03 AM
          On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:26:22 -0000, "glyn_the_grey"
          <glynlloyd_7@...> wrote:

          > Teach Yourself Dutch by Gerdi Quist & Dennis Strik.
          >
          > It is the one with the poppies on the cover

          Would they not be tulips?

          Tulips.... Netherlands... you know...

          --
          G. Stewart - gstewart@...

          Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe stress
          freaks and crystallography weenies. FORTRAN is for wimp engineers who
          wear white socks.
        • Ruth
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 12:28 AM
            Hi

            you could try Teach Yourself Dutch Grammar to use alongside Teach Yourself Dutch. It
            explains grammar really well and has lots of exercises

            Ruth

            <gstewart@...> wrote:

            > On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 16:26:22 -0000, "glyn_the_grey"
            > <glynlloyd_7@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Teach Yourself Dutch by Gerdi Quist & Dennis Strik.
            > >
            > > It is the one with the poppies on the cover
            >
            > Would they not be tulips?
            >
            > Tulips.... Netherlands... you know...
            >
            > --
            > G. Stewart - gstewart@...
            >
            > Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe stress
            > freaks and crystallography weenies. FORTRAN is for wimp engineers who
            > wear white socks.

          • glyn_the_grey
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2 3:40 AM
              ---
              Ja, natuurlijk. Zij zijn tulpen!.
              "hij (die) is lente alweer, lente alweer, tulpen in Amsterdam!!"

              <gstewart@...> wrote:

              > Would they not be tulips?
              >
              > Tulips.... Netherlands... you know...
              >
              > --
              > G. Stewart - gstewart@...
              >
              > Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe
              stress
              > freaks and crystallography weenies. FORTRAN is for wimp engineers
              who
              > wear white socks.

            • maveronica1005
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2 4:48 AM
                het is lente alweer.....

                <gstewart@...> wrote:

                > Would they not be tulips?
                >
                > Tulips.... Netherlands... you know...
                >
                > --
                > G. Stewart - gstewart@...
                >
                > Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe
                stress
                > freaks and crystallography weenies. FORTRAN is for wimp engineers
                who
                > wear white socks.

              • glyn_the_grey
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 5:53 AM
                  Yeh i take your point!!!
                  would it be?:

                  Hij (die) is lente (being a de word)
                  Het is lente alweer?? (with alweer taking het)

                  Also i was thinking should it be wordt????
                  Het wordt lente alweer???

                  Regards.
                  Glyn

                  --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, maveronica1005

                  wrote: ---
                  > Ja, natuurlijk. Zij zijn tulpen!.
                  > "hij (die) is lente alweer, lente alweer, tulpen in Amsterdam!!"
                  >
                  > In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Godwin Stewart
                  > <gstewart@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Would they not be tulips?
                  > >
                  > > Tulips.... Netherlands... you know...
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > G. Stewart - gstewart@
                  > >
                  > > Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN. FORTRAN is for pipe
                  > stress
                  > > freaks and crystallography weenies. FORTRAN is for wimp
                  engineers
                  > who
                  > > wear white socks.

                • Karri Hall
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2 9:43 AM
                    I have that one also. I was actually hoping someone
                    knew of a better study guide out there because that
                    one jumps around quite a bit.