How Long Will It Take?

  • t.potestio
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
      Hi my name is Tina. I am from Canada and in the process of trying to
      immigrate to Holland. I would love to be able to have conversations in
      dutch but I find many sounds in the dutch language very hard to make.
      I am studying on my own but do not seem to be retaining a whole lot
      yet. I have only been here for about 2 months now so I know it will
      take time. But what is a good time frame to expect to be able to start
      having basic conversations. I don't really go anywhere but to stores
      and stuff but I do watch tv which provides many dutch stations to
      listen to. But is that enough or will I not really learn until I am
      actually talking to dutch people like in a work situation?
    • nosipho chiliza
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
        hi it nosipho i'm here in holland from march i can
        speak it bt not to good da only way to learn is being
        around people who speaks it dat how i learnt it bt
        just keep on trying by urself maybe it will help u

        Need a vacation? Get great deals
        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
        http://travel.yahoo.com/
      • Prasanth
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
          Hi Tina,

          You are absolutely right..some words in Dutch are really hard to pronounce for a native English speaker and the words may not sound the same as we spells. I'm also learnig Dutch for few weeks. In my opinion the best way to pick up in Ducth is to have an online Dutch cource or listen to some Dutch podcats with written scripts so that you can easily learn how to pronounce a word. As you said speaking with Dutch people will help you more on improving your conversation skills. Just try to find out an online friend from Holland and chat with him through ur head phone...see how easy....

          I can give you some site urls to help u in Dutch study...
          Have a look at it.

          http://www.taalthuis.com/course/hoofd.htm
          http://www.learndutch.org/Lesson1/index.html
          http://www.foreigndocuments.com/learndutch

          If you have any more clarification in this please feel free to send a mail to me. Email: ndd_prasanth@...

          Best of Luck
          Regards,
          Prasanth,
          Software Offshore Team Pvt.Ltd.
          TVM,Kerala,
          India

          Hi my name is Tina. I am from Canada and in the process of trying to
          immigrate to Holland. I would love to be able to have conversations in
          dutch but I find many sounds in the dutch language very hard to make.
          I am studying on my own but do not seem to be retaining a whole lot
          yet. I have only been here for about 2 months now so I know it will
          take time. But what is a good time frame to expect to be able to start
          having basic conversations. I don't really go anywhere but to stores
          and stuff but I do watch tv which provides many dutch stations to
          listen to. But is that enough or will I not really learn until I am
          actually talking to dutch people like in a work situation?

          Why delete messages? Unlimited storage is just a click away. Go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html

        • Luna
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
            Hello Tina,

            I am in a similar situation; I am in Florida and have
            been studying Dutch since May. I, too, plan to move to
            Holland one day. You are right, pronunciation in Dutch
            is not easy for the native English tongue. I tend to
            think that pronunciation is going to be difficult for
            anyone who was not raised to speak Dutch. As you said,
            I think the quickest and easiest way to learn is just
            to completely immerse yourself in the Dutch language
            and culture, and to surround yourself with Dutch words
            and Dutch-speaking people; i.e., move to Holland. I am
            hoping to find a job that will eventually teach me
            Dutch and transfer me to Holland. Until that happens,
            I am studying at several websites. The previously
            mentioned websites are good, and here are some I use
            as well:

            http://www.lauraspeaksdutch.info
            http://mediatheek.thinkquest.nl/~kl044/tmain.htm (no
            sound but it helps you with common words and phrases,
            and it also has a testing system)
            http://www.ielanguages.com/dutch.html (again, no sound
            but it sounds out letters and words; not always
            exactly accurate, but it gives you a really good basis
            to go on)
            and...
            http://www.steffie.nl (a Dutch website designed to
            teach people how to use the internet and Dutch
            services, this website offers a great example of
            pronunciation).

            These websites have been very helpful to me, and I
            hope they help you as wel! Best of luck!

            ~Luna

            Got a little couch potato?
          • nosipho chiliza
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
              hi luna
              its nosipho from south africa i'm in holland for close
              ro 7 mnth i can understand it n wat realy helped me
              was being around people who speak it well i cant say
              it was dat hard bt i understand wat u mean learn
              another language can never b easy just cum to holland
              u culd even take da kick start course its also help
              ALL DA BEST
              NOSIPHO U CAN EMAIL FOR
              MORE INFOR AT
              nos.chiliza@...

              http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
            • Luna
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 2007
                I wish I could afford to come to Holland, but that is
                certainly the goal one day! :D As for how long it
                takes, it depends on the individual, just like
                learning anything... how much you study, how receptive
                you are to language in general, whether or not the
                Dutch language comes easily to you.... When I was
                taking language classes in school (Spanish and
                German), reading, writing, and speaking always came
                easiest to me, and understanding native speakers was
                always the most difficult. This is why I am working
                extra hard at listening to people speaking Dutch. When
                I was in Holland, I found that listening to cashiers
                in convenience stores was not that difficult because
                the numbers in Dutch are so similar in sound to those
                in English, even though I didn't speak a word of
                Dutch! In contrast, I had a lot of trouble
                understanding cashiers in northern Germany, even
                though I do speak some German (Bavaria, for some
                reason, was no problem). It just all depends on what
                you're best at, how much you study, and how hard you
                work on those aspects of language that don't come
                easily to you. But if you hear and see it everywhere
                you go, you will naturally learn faster... that is all
                I can tell you! :)

                ~Luna

                Got a little couch potato?
              • Drente Diva
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2007
                  Hi Tina

                  Good luck with your studies, I think everyone else has given you good advice, the only thing I would like to add is that everyone learns at their own pace, some people are better at languages than others. Try to concentrate on your own progress and improvements rather than comparing yourself to others.

                  Any interaction with the Dutch language is good, but listening (you could start off with kids TV) and talking to Dutch people is definately the best way to learn. Just keep at it!

                  I have lived in Netherlands for a couple of years and am nowhere near perfect.

                  "t.potestio" <t.potestio@...> wrote:
                  .

                  Hi my name is Tina. I am from Canada and in the process of trying to
                  immigrate to Holland. I would love to be able to have conversations in
                  dutch but I find many sounds in the dutch language very hard to make.
                  I am studying on my own but do not seem to be retaining a whole lot
                  yet. I have only been here for about 2 months now so I know it will
                  take time. But what is a good time frame to expect to be able to start
                  having basic conversations. I don't really go anywhere but to stores
                  and stuff but I do watch tv which provides many dutch stations to
                  listen to. But is that enough or will I not really learn until I am
                  actually talking to dutch people like in a work situation?

                • Rick Thomas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                    Ik kijk soms KRO Kinder Tijd omdat daar af en toe goede tekenfilms
                    zijn. Ik heb altijd tekenfilms gehouden en ze helpen mij het
                    Nederlands leren. Ik luister vaak naar nederlandse radio en ik
                    luister ook naar mijn Nederlandse banden en cd's die ik van ebay heb
                    gekocht. Ik zou in Nederland willen wonen maar ik denk niet ik ooit
                    zal :( Omdat hier in Leicester weinig nederlandse sprekers zijn, moet
                    ik het gesproken Nederlands regelmatig luisteren. Groeten, Rick

                    --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Drente Diva
                    <drentediva@...> wrote:

                    > Any interaction with the Dutch language is good, but listening
                    (you could start off with kids TV) and talking to Dutch people is
                    definately the best way to learn. Just keep at it!

                    > I have lived in Netherlands for a couple of years and am nowhere
                    near perfect.
                  • Leigh Priest
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9, 2007
                      Hallo, Rick,

                      Kijk je welke goede tekenfilms? Ik vind (in Morrison's
                      supermarket) Spongebob Squarepants in Nederlands maar... niet goede.

                      Leigh
                      (still a beginner, hope the above makes sense)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                        Hoi Leigh

                        Ik vind een zeespons (sea sponge?) dat korte broek draagt zeer grappig
                        :D. Op het ogenblik mijn favorite tekenfilm is 'The Grim Adventures
                        of Billy & Mandy' maar ik heb geen exemplaar nog in het Nederlands
                        gekocht. Ik hoop een exemplaar op het internet te vinden. Vorige
                        week op KRO Kinder Tijd heb ik de moomins gekeken.

                        Verkoopt Morrisons films in het taal van het Nederland?

                        Groeten, Rick

                        ps I too hope this makes sense :-)

                        --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Leigh Priest

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                          Hallo,

                          I'm not up to answering this in Dutch! If you look on the
                          back of DVDs, it should tell you what language it's in, if there are
                          foreign language subtitles and such. Cartoons DVDs often have
                          soundtracks in many languages. So one day I scoured the supermarket's
                          cartoon selection and found Spongebob (OK, it's not *too*
                          bad...). You can also look for the Dora cartoons as some of those
                          have a Dutch soundtrack. All the writing in the cartoons like
                          calendars, notes, etc, remain in English -- must be mysterious for
                          the tiny Greek/Danish/Polish/Spanish children watching them!
                          I also found an odd thing: Black Beauty, the feature film
                          with Sean Bean (but told from the horse's point of view), which had
                          three different languages in dubbed tracks. I started to watch it but
                          discovered that the written Dutch subtitles didn't match the spoken
                          Dutch soundtrack. It was too confusing and I haven't tried it again
                          for a few months.
                          I've gone through our home DVD collection and found a few
                          films that have Dutch subtitles for English-language films but that
                          seems the wrong way around for learning the language. Someday I hope
                          to just watch a Dutch film without the English subtitles but that's a
                          long way off.
                          By the way, I found the Kinder Tijd website and will be
                          spending some time there. Thank you for that tip!

                          met vriendelijk groeten,
                          Leigh

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 10, 2007
                            Hi Leigh

                            Cool. It didn't occur to me that cartoon dvd's maybe dubbed with
                            other languages. I must look out for that when wandering around the
                            local supermarket (in my case Sainsbury's). I'm actually getting a
                            good collection of Dutch films due to the miracle that is ebay. Now
                            that my reading and writing skills are improving I tend to sign into
                            the Dutch version http://www.ebay.nl/. I've got two dvd's on the way
                            from the Netherlands at the moment: ZWARTBOEK and also Grijpstra & De
                            Gier. The second (Grijpstra & De Gier) is a detective series,
                            possibly a bit like Inspector Morse.

                            Dag, Rick