Re: [DESG] Lived in Maastricht (1966-1969)

  • Larry McElhiney
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi Jim,

      Sorry for the delay!

      I actually lived in an apartment in Maastricht, since as an E-4 in the
      USAF, I was not required to lived at the Tapijn Kaserne. My first
      work assignment was the PTT Tower on the West side of town. After a
      few months, I was transferred to the C-Sector Mobile Maintenance Team,
      which was located in Roclenge sur Geer, in Belgium, though I continued
      to live in Maastricht.

      I visited Maastricht for a week in 1994 and spent time with old
      friends there.

      My Dutch continues to improve, but I will never be fluent with the
      language, I believe. I probably spend more time with Afrikaans at
      this time, because it seems more of a challenge for me.

      Thanks for the response!

      Tot ziens,

      Larry

      --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, Jim <jlawton@...> wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > Where were you stationed in Maastricht? On my second tour in Europe,
      my last two years (1982-84) I worked at the small U.S. Army AFCENT
      Reserve Corps hq on Tapijn Kaserne in Maastricht. My family lived in
      Geleen, about 15 mins away.

      > Welcome to the group. There is a wealth of helpful and friendly
      Dutch people in our group. Why are you learning Dutch again? Have you
      been back to NL since the 60s?