Re: [DESG] Hello from Fairfax Virginia, USA (Web Sites)

  • tulip
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi Scott,
      Waar kan ik een online chat vinden?
      Alvast bednkt!
      groetjes,
      Tulip

    • asmaa osman
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 1, 2004
        Cee Bee,
        It is great that you make a progress in learning Dutch. You have also given me a good hope that i also can find a job in holland without knowing Dutch language. Not that I am not going to learn it at all, but i just thought i cannot apply for any job without the knowledge of language.
        i am moving to Holland by end of this year and really was getting worried concerning finding a job.
        I will also do my best to learn it. But here in Egypt no big opportunity to do.
        What is your career in Holland?

        Thanks
        Asmaa-Egypt

        Cee Beebee <cee_beebee@...> wrote:
        thank you Scott

        it is very interesting and helpful
        I do not have to use dutch at work but I am missing out on many things in my company and this is one of the reasons I now want to learn and talk to my collega's in their language, they laugh at my awkwardness (and impatience sometimes) but I think I am slowly getting there.
        I find that I understand now a great deal more than 3 months ago, I can guess the meaning of many sentences, but I cannot write or think of any sentence..I am like paralysed by grammar ...also I found some really good advice on this forum or learning group

        thank you for all

        cee bee

        sue6point7 <sue6point7@...> wrote:
        Good advice for all learners, whatever the level - thanks Scott!

        Sue

        Scott Wayne Pierce <scottpierce@...> wrote:
        CEE BEE:

        Hi. I studied Dutch at a DC area language school for a few months and
        then went to Holland for a couple years. We also used Code Nederland as
        the primary learning resource. When I was Nederland, I used Dutch for
        my work, and we tried to speak it at home as much as possible too, just
        to learn. It was difficult when I arrived in Holland, because I wasn't
        really adequately prepared. The course of study was pretty humble (or
        humbling!).

        What helped me the most, and what I think would have been very valuable
        during my study period in the USA, were the following:

        1-Internet--Dutch websites are interesting and keep you interest going.
        I didn't have the Dutch study group at the time, but it is an invaluable
        resource. Once you have a very basic knowledge, chatrooms can be like
        having conversations, only with just a bit of delay, which makes you
        think in Dutch a little more, without being completely overwhelmed.
        2-Children's Books. They are clear, the grammar and vocabulary are
        basic but robust enough for learning basic Dutch, and some are quite
        delightful. My first children's book was Pluk van de Petteflet. I
        would translate the stories, then I'd hide the translation while reading
        the story out loud, trying to concentrate on the Dutch, instead of
        translating in my mind to English. Reading in Dutch aloud is excellent
        for learning to think in Dutch and to master the outrageous "g" and "r"
        sounds. You can really play with the pronunciations.
        3-I bought an English language novel and the Dutch translation. They
        are not word for word, but the English version can help you make sense
        if the Dutch is confusing you. It's a bit like detective work, since
        literary translators aren't always literal in their interpretations.
        4-Translate in your mind as much as you can through your workday. If
        somebody smiles, think "Zij is blij" instead of "She is happy." If the
        wrong person wins the election, think "God verdikke...ongelovelijk"
        instead... we, you get the picture.
        5-Find a Dutch friend and annoy them with your kinderachtig musings.
        6-Along with pt 5, when you are around Dutch speakers, make them SPEAK
        DUTCH as much as possible. It is tiresome for them, and they will just
        want to speak English, but you can't let them. Ask nicely, be pushy,
        feign misunderstandinog of their English or German or French, and always
        reply in Dutch.

        In addition to huiswerk, perhaps a half hour a day of these other
        language activities will help a lot.

        Good luck! Hope this helps.

        Scott

        Group address: dutch-english-study-group@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: dutch-english-study-group-SUBSCRIBE@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

        Group address: dutch-english-study-group@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe: dutch-english-study-group-SUBSCRIBE@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Cee Beebee

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 1, 2004
            Hiya Mo,

            If you are seriously looking for Dutch Language lessons, try the
            Belgian Embassy here in DC. I took Dutch lessons there for 3 years.

            The classes are very cheap, and go from Sept. thru May.
            Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to start until next Sept., as
            they are already a month into this year's class.

            Surprisingly, the Dutch Embassy doesn't offer Dutch class. I was
            surprised that the Belgian Embassy does, but one of the two main
            ethnic groups of Belgium, the Flemmish, speak Dutch.

            I know Fairfax is a bit of a hike from DC, but it is the only
            location that I know of that teaches Dutch.

            Classes are usually one night a week.

            Hope this helps.

            --- In DUTCH-ENGLISH-STUDY-GROUP@yahoogroups.com, "nyceuro"
            <nyceuro@y...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > I just saw this group and was wondering if i can find more
            information
            > on learning Dutch. Currently no schools in my area teach Dutch(Only
            > French, German and Spanish)
            >
            > I took 2 years of German and and lived there for about 3 years.
            Need
            > less to say I want to learn a new language other then those 3. I
            > visited The Netherlands and enjoyed my time there, and found the
            > people to be more then freindly and helpful.
            >
            > Well, Just saying Hi.
            >
            > Mo
          • asmaa osman

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 2, 2004
                Hi Kanga,
                Waar heb je zoveel website gevonden?!
                Hartelijk bedankt!
                Dat is genoeg voor mij te leren.
                Met vriendelijke groeten,
                Tulip

              • kangwnl
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Hoi Tulip

                  These links were compiled over a long period of time. It is a case of
                  finding a new web-site and following down the trail of links to other
                  sites and so on. It is amazing how much Dutch learning material is
                  available for free on the Internet and I keep finding new sites on a
                  regular basis.

                  Groetjes
                  Kanga

                  <nmghhhtlady@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Kanga,
                  > Waar heb je zoveel website gevonden?!
                  > Hartelijk bedankt!
                  > Dat is genoeg voor mij te leren.
                  > Met vriendelijke groeten,
                  > Tulip

                • Scott Wayne Pierce
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 11, 2004
                    CEE BEE-

                    No problem. My pleasure--

                    Ik wens u succes!

                    SWP

                    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:31:38 +0100 (CET), "Cee Beebee"
                    <cee_beebee@...> said:

> [...]
                    > if the Dutch is confusing you. It's a bit like detective work, since
                    > literary translators aren't always literal in their interpretations.
                    > 4-Translate in your mind as much as you can through your workday. If
                    > somebody smiles, think "Zij is blij" instead of "She is happy." If the
                    > wrong person wins the election, think "God verdikke...ongelovelijk"
                    > instead... we, you get the picture.
                    > 5-Find a Dutch friend and annoy them with your kinderachtig musings.
                    > 6-Along with pt 5, when you are around Dutch speakers, make them SPEAK
                    > DUTCH as much as possible. It is tiresome for them, and they will just
                    > want to speak English, but you can't let them. Ask nicely, be pushy,
                    > feign misunderstandinog of their English or German or French, and always
                    > reply in Dutch.
                    >
                    > In addition to huiswerk, perhaps a half hour a day of these other

                    Scott Wayne Pierce
                    scottpierce@...