Re: Week 4 Homework (1 of 2)

  • Barry Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hi,

      One thing that's worth really learning early on is that the
      persoonsvorm (personal) of a verb ALWAYS goes in second place in the
      main sentence, in Dutch (except when asking a question).

      The persoonsvorm is the conjugated verb (ie: ben, bent, is, zijn are
      conjugated forms of zijn).

      So, to take an example where you missed this below:

      > 7. De bus om tien over tien naar vertrekt

      De bus VERTREKT om tien over tien.

      'De bus' = 1st position, verb in 2nd

      If you rearrange the sentance the verb always stays in 2nd place, eg:

      Om tien over tien VERTREKT de bus.

      Even when the thing you are talking about is described in a complex
      way the verb stays in 2nd place, eg, if not just 'The bus' but 'The
      bus I must take to Utrecht, you get'

      De bus die ik naar Utrecht moet nemen VERTREKT om tien over tien.

      (Actually I think that sounds like I'm carrying the bus, should this
      be 'De bus die ik moet naar Utrecht mee VERTREKT ..', anyone?)