Re: Where Are They Now?

  • TTS Craig
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1 6:22 PM
      --- In DSR-2-DOT@yahoogroups.com, "da_phantom_ryder"
      <brutha4dtown@y...> wrote:
      > what did you mean by those buses being the coaches that uncle
      coleman
      > bought?

      Well...I called them that cause....They were! Coleman A. Young, who
      served as Detroit's mayor from 1974-1994, admitted that DDOT service
      had deteriorated to a level by the mid-80's he described as "damn
      near a shambles." Using surplus money from the city's general fund,
      he then purchased 100 non-air-conditioned buses from GM of Canada in
      1986 at a cost of $12.7 million to improve service. It was the first
      time in over twenty years, and the only time for DDOT, where new
      buses were purchased without using federal funds.

      In reality, he had no choice but to buy them. Since 1984 the Urban
      Mass Transit Administration (UMTA) had been diverting federal funds
      originally earmarked for new DDOT buses to help pay for the
      completion of the Downtown People Mover Project. The PM project had
      been threaten with abandonment due to millions of dollars in major
      cost over-runs, and SEMTA (who controlled the project at the time)
      couldn't raise the needed funds to finish the project. Although that
      arrangement with the Feds allowed the People Mover to be completed,
      DDOT had by then went without new buses for nearly six years.

      That's why I referred to those #1900-1999 series buses as "the buses
      that Coleman Young bought."