Re: [DSR-2-DOT] RPTC Dedication Ceremony (UPDATE)

  • H.B.Craig-II
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
      A recent view along the Cass Avenue side of the Rosa Parks Transit Center
      (RPTC February 2009 photo from hotfudgedetroit.com - taken by member "ANDY")

      That announcement on DDOT's website regarding a June 22nd Dedication Ceremony for the RPTC has been removed. After being posted on Friday it was removed from the site today (Monday). This seems to confirm the info given me last week, and reaffirmed again Monday morning, that because of the May 14th storm damage the opening of the center has been delayed a few more weeks, until sometime in early July. Stay tuned!!

      Updating the comnstruction progress, the photo below (from hotfudgedetroit.com) shows the second of seven canopy sections currently being perpared for installation.

      (RPTC June 1, 2009 photo from hotfudgedetroit.com - taken by member "ANDY")
    • H.B.Craig-II
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2009
        The word is out, it's now official!......

        (June 4, 2009 photos from hotfudgedetroit.com - taken by member "ANDY")

        As was posted in a previous email by member "professorscottfromdetroit," the official word on the RPTC has come down. During a news conference held this morning at the State Fair Transit Center, DDOT Director Lovevette Williams announced that the Grand Opening for the Rosa Parks Transit Center (RPTC) will be held on Tuesday, July 14, 2009.

        As can be seen in the two above photos, the second of seven canopy sections now rises above the center's outdoor loading area. The contractor promises to have construction completed by Friday, July 3, 2009.
      • H.B.Craig-II
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2009
          Five down and two to go!
          (June 17, 2009 photo from hotfudgedetroit.com - taken by poster "ANDY")

          As mentioned in an email about two weeks ago, July 3 is the target date for the contractor to complete work on the Rosa Parks Transit Center canopy. Well, as you can see from the above photo, five of the seven canopies are now up and work has begun on the sixth. There are even new trees planted along the Cass Avenue side of the building. I guess this means it's almost time for Tim Hortons to start up their coffee and doughnuts and Burger King their burgers and fries.

          So far, other than the news releases in the press, nothing "official" has come down from DDOT on that Tuesday, July 14, 2009 Grand Opening. Stay tuned!
        • professorscottfromdetroit
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 19, 2009
            You know, I could swear I saw somewhere, very recently, that on July 14 all buses arriving before 10:00 a.m. will serve Capitol Park, and all buses arriving at 10:00 a.m. or later will go to RPTC. But I can't remember where I saw it, and I can't find it anywhere. I might have been hallucinating (odd thing to hallucinate). Anyone else seen this information?
          • H.B.Craig-II
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 21, 2009
              I couldn't tell you if you're hallucinating or not, but so far as of this past Friday noon nothing official has been given to DDOT employees at the satellite terminal level. I guess we can assume that whatever time the dedication ceremonies are held on the 14th, then service will begin sometime afterward. I guess a 10:00AM start-up doesn't sound too unreasonable. We'll just have to wait until the word comes down.

              The only official notice I've seen so far is an invitation to a DDOT Employee Appreciation Day event and tour scheduled the weekend before the dedication. The document also listed about 15 "customer-focused amenities" available at RPTC.

              You know, I could swear I saw somewhere, very recently, that on July 14 all buses arriving before 10:00 a.m. will serve Capitol Park, and all buses arriving at 10:00 a.m. or later will go to RPTC. But I can't remember where I saw it, and I can't find it anywhere. I might have been hallucinating (odd thing to hallucinate) . Anyone else seen this information?

            • Timothy Davis
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 21, 2009
                There is a full-page ad in this week's MetroTimes (page 65) regarding the grand opening. It reads in part: "All DDOT bus service to Capitol Park will end at 10:00 am on July 14, 2009; all routes will then provide service to the Rosa Parks Transit Center."

                Question: when will the change appear on printed schedules?

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 21, 2009
                  Thanks Tim for passing along that info. I see I need to search for a copy of a Metro Times just to find out what's happening. It seems like the employees are always the last to know.

                  Regarding the printed schedules, it appears that the May 14 weather mishap with the canopy installation caused a dilemma. I'm sure that thousands of the new printed schedules, which went into effect yesterday (June 20, 2009), already reflect the routes and time changes geared toward serving the new transit center. I do know for certain that the individual runs assigned to the operators already reflect RPTC operation, but TEOs have been instructed to continue Capitol Park operation until further notice. To distribute printed schedules with the route adjustments into RPTC would cause a few problems, so I'm assuming that the distribution is probably on hold until sometime around July 14th.

                  Unfortunately, if there are any major changes made in the timetables it could cause an inconvenience for the passengers. But since I deal more with individual runs and not specifically with headways per se, a road supervisor or scheduling personnel could better answer if there are any major changes from the April 18th headways.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 21, 2009
                  Here's that RPTC ad from the Metro Times.

                  Message 9 of 13 , Jun 23, 2009
                    The seventh canopy has risen into place!!!
                    (June 23, 2009 photo from hotfudgedetroit.com - taken by poster "ANDY")

                    The seventh and last canopy section of the Rosa Parks Transit Center is now in place. I guess this means that things are about to start happening, ...and quickly!  Expect for an Employee Appreciation Day and an Open House to precede the July 14th Grand Opening.

                    Also, according to the DDOT web-site www.RideDetroitTransit.com, all routes currently ending at Capitol Park and Grand Circus Park will end at the new transit center effective July 14, 2009. As a result, both the #7 Cadillac-Harper and #25 Jefferson lines will no longer travel to Grand Circus Park, but rerouted directly to the transit center.

                    However, three downtown routes (#38 Plymouth, #47 Tireman and #76 Hayes Ltd.) will not be assigned to one of the 15 bus bays located on the center property, but will instead board passengers along bordering streets, either along Grand River or Cass.

                    For specific RPTC bay number assignment by route, see the following PDF file:
                  • H.B.Craig-II
                    Message 10 of 13 , Jul 5 11:05 AM
                      Nite-Time at the RPTC.....
                      (July 5, 2009 photo from hotfudgedetroit. com - taken by poster "ANDY")

                      While downtown over the holiday weekend I drove past the Rosa Parks Transit Center to check out the night view, which I had been told now lights-up the surrounding area. Upon my arrival, I couldn't help but notice that bright flood lights now light-up the now finished canopy and the red LED display signs, located at every coach bay, were now also up and lit. I've been told that the canopy lights also have the capability to change colors. That ought to be interesting to see. Of course, those LED signs will be used to display "real-time" coach arrival and departure information.

                      Looks like things are quickly getting ready for upcoming events on the 11th, 13th and the Grand Opening on the 14th.
                    • iris hill
                      Message 11 of 13 , Jul 5 7:44 PM
                        Yea big baby!!! Now thats what I'm talking about for my city. Now lets keep moving forward on some other things.

                        Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7 11:37 AM

                        I took these during the lunch hour today (7/7/2009). It's a preview of the future.