Re: MOTOWN'S LAST PCC SENT SOUTH OF THE BORDER; DSR STREETCAR POST MORTEM

  • dennismk12002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      Good Morning, Everyone:

      The story on Detroit's last PCC car sent south to Mexico City came from ERA Headlights,
      November, 1956, page 2.

      And here's a DSR post mortem story taken from ERA Headlights, July, 1956, page 5:

      Greater losses than anticipated have resulted from the DSR's giveaway sale of 183 PCCs to Mexico City.  DSR revealed a $35,000 loss in repairing the cars for Mexico because the amount of rehabilitation needed was underestimated.  They have requested city
      council permission to pay a Mexican legal firm $2500 for preparing legal documents in Spanish.

      Curtailment of electric service has spread to the two trolleybus lines which now operated
      electrically weekdays daytime only.

      The two ex-Pittsburgh cars, Nos. 101 and 141
      (ex-100), have been scrapped behind Woodward carhouse.

      PCC 140 was finally on wheels after resting on horses in Woodward CH for over two years.  A set of trucks from previously scrapped #150 were rolled from the shop to the barn and placed under #140 which was towed to the shop for repairs.

      Work cars were still used at three bus terminals to shunt freight cars, but remnants
      of the trolley era in Motown were fast disappearing.  All wire is down; rail on Woodward and Gratiot prw's have been removed.  Contracts to repave Michigan Avenue have been awarded and they were being drawn up for Woodward and Gratiot Avenues.  When these projects are completed, only some track downtown and scattered short sections in other areas will remain uncovered.

      Very Sincerely,

      Dennis M. Linsky