Re: [DSR-2-DOT] Re: Coolidge Terminal web-page added to DetroitTransitHistory.info

  • H.B.Craig-II
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Yeah David, I'm glad I could bring back a few memories for you. I too remember those natural gas reservoirs during my childhood years. There were numerous ones scattered across the city. From my understanding, the container inside would rise up and down, depending on the volume of natural gas stored there at the time.

      Although the one that was located adjacent to the Coolidge property was enclosed, with the words "Gas is Best!" lit up at night, most of them were just open steel frame structures. I do remember the one on Schaefer south of Lyndon. However, having grown up during the 60s and 70s in the Tireman-Livernois area, the two containers that were located on Epworth, just south of Tireman, stands out the most in my memory. For some reason there were "two" reservoirs—one large, one smaller—located behind the buildings on the west side of Epworth, between Tireman and W. Warren.

      The photo below was taken in October of 1948, and shows Peter Witt car #3230 southbound along Epworth, just south of Tireman, while working the Clairmount line. Those two natural gas reservoirs I remember as a child can be clearly seen in the background.

      Photo source: Detroit's Street Railways, Vol 11, Thomas C. Van Degrift photo

      Any members here happen to remember when these structures were taken down? For me, it was like they were part of the urban scenery that was here one day and gone the next.