Re: Hertel plans Detroit transit authority proposal by April

  • TTS Craig
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2009

      --- In DSR-2-DOT@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Bowman 1 <kramden@...> wrote:

      > HB, Has there been any discussion as to how DDOT and SMART will merge.
      > More importantly, will everyone keep their jobs and seniority?

      So far, mum's the word. I guess we'll have to wait until April to see what "transit czar" John Hertel proposes before any talks begin. I'm sure there are a number of options they can consider, from a complete take-over of both agencies, to leaving both agencies separate with the new authority overseeing all transit operations within the tri-county region, to a merger, or other combinations in between.

      Either way, I see major hurtles ahead. With SMART already collecting a dedicated transit tax from the tri-county region, how will a new three-county-wide tax, which would now include the city of Detroit, affect the SMART "suburban-only" tax if the agencies remain separate? Will the City of Detroit still have to subsidize DDOT, and if not, does it still remain a city-owned entity? Leaving the city and suburban agencies separate, as is done in some regions, will resolve some issues but, of course, create others—no doubt leaving "hurt-feelings" in either process.

      Major hurdles that prevented SEMTA (the larger predecessor to SMART) from taking over the city-owned DSR (DDOT) during the early 1970s revolved around some of those same issues you brought up. Issues, including wage discrepancies and pension issues, representation on the authority board, and city subway construction, were major obstacles back then, and some of these still remain today. Remember DARTA?

      In addition, who will operate the proposed LRT (light rail transit), BRT (bus rapid transit), or commuter train operations? ...SMART? ...DDOT (which is currently planning its own DTOGS light rail operation)? ...Another outside entity?  The new authority could also elect to operate it themselves and leave DDOT and/or SMART out the mix to handle only feeder bus routes? Who knows???

      For it to be a success, we have to ALL come together and resolve these issues, cooperatively. If not, the Obama administration is not going to tolerate the divisiveness that had plagued this region the past 40 or more years, and all of this will indeed become that "pie in the sky fantasy" which member Rock made reference of in an earlier email. We'll just be passed up again, and those federal transit dollars will go to those other regions who CAN get their act together.
    • Fleetwood Rock
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
        Yes Sir I will Be There....and Will buy a Big Steak dinner too Boot...LOLOLOL

        Alright you Squares it`s time too Smoke.....Fire Up This Funk and Let`s have a Toke!!!!

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2009
          hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....i hear You

          Alright you Squares it`s time too Smoke.....Fire Up This Funk and Let`s have a Toke!!!!

          Thats a billion dollar question, "will everyone keep their jobs and seniorty". Just in case you don't, don't spend like the party will never be over. Because it truly can be over at the blink of an eye.

          Rock, heee, heeee to u 2!!!! By the time it happens I might not be living here in MI. Therefore I couldn't careless.