Re: Bike racks on DDOT buses (UPDATE)

  • DSR-2-DDOT List Owner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
      Latest update....
      The new bike racks should be installed on eight DDOT coaches by this
      coming Tuesday, with driver instruction on the racks scheduled to
      begin sometime during the coming week or so.

      As of the end of this past week, the #40 Russell line has been chosen
      as the line to test the bike racks.

      Again, stay tuned for further info as it comes along.

      --- In DSR-2-DOT@yahoogroups.com, "TTS Craig" <hbcraig2@...> wrote:

      > Here's the latest update on the addition of bike racks on DDOT
      buses.
      > Information has been passed along to me that "eight" bicycle ranks
      > have been donated to DDOT for use on a trial basis on DDOT coaches.
      > The racks will be tested on four RTS coaches and four NewFlyers.
      > Their success or failure will determine if more are to be purchased
      > in an upcoming budget year. As of a few days ago, no word on when
      > they will be installed and a decision on what route(s) they will be
      > used has yet to be determined.
      >
      > Stay tuned for further info as it comes along.

    • iris hill
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
        Okay, I'm staying tuned!!!!!! I shall ride this Russell to see how it is working & I will be the voice of the people & my co-workers who don't want to be singled out.

        Subject: [DSR-2-DOT] Re: Bike racks on DDOT buses (UPDATE)
        To: DSR-2-DOT@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Saturday, August 2, 2008, 10:18 AM

        Latest update....
        The new bike racks should be installed on eight DDOT coaches by this
        coming Tuesday, with driver instruction on the racks scheduled to
        begin sometime during the coming week or so.

        As of the end of this past week, the #40 Russell line has been chosen
        as the line to test the bike racks.

        Again, stay tuned for further info as it comes along.

        --- In DSR-2-DOT@yahoogrou ps.com, "TTS Craig" <hbcraig2@.. .> wrote:

        > Here's the latest update on the addition of bike racks on DDOT
        buses.
        > Information has been passed along to me that "eight" bicycle ranks
        > have been donated to DDOT for use on a trial basis on DDOT coaches.
        > The racks will be tested on four RTS coaches and four NewFlyers.
        > Their success or failure will determine if more are to be purchased
        > in an upcoming budget year. As of a few days ago, no word on when
        > they will be installed and a decision on what route(s) they will be
        > used has yet to be determined.
        >
        > Stay tuned for further info as it comes along.

      • H.B.Craig-II
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2008
          Just an added footnote on the use of bicycle racks on RTS coaches—a concern raised here recently by another member. It does appear that other cities with fleets of RTS coaches have the racks installed on their buses as well, so it doesn't appear to be a major issue. I've included a few photos I ran across while online as an example. The first (small) photo is of a MBTA (Boston) RTS coach.

          BTW—I found this a bit interesting. While surfing the net, I ran across the following list of standard rules for passengers using bike racks, posted on Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority web-site. It appears that the MBTA just recently installed 320 bike racks on its buses (35% of its fleet) this year.

          From the MBTA web-site....

          Using Bus Bike Racks

          Some bus routes operate buses equipped with bike racks. Each bicycle rack holds two bicycles. Only conventional single seat, two-wheeled bicycles and electric bicycles the size of a standard bicycle are allowed on the racks. Please follow these standard rules:

          • You are responsible for loading, securing, and removing your bicycle from the bicycle rack. Always alert the driver that you are about to use the bicycle rack and approach the bus from the curbside.
          • Remove all loose items from the bike. Avoid kneeling or squatting out of the driver's line of sight.
          • Squeeze the handle located in the center of the bike rack to release the latch and pull rack down.
          • Place bike on rack by inserting the front wheel in designated wheel slot. Always use inside front slot first.
          • Pull out support arm and raise it up over the front tire.
          • Confirm that bike is safe and secure prior to boarding bus. Do not lock your bike in the rack.
          • Inform bus driver of destination upon boarding bus. Sit near the front of the bus and watch your bike. The T is not responsible for stolen or damaged bikes.
          • As you approach your stop, advise the driver that you will be unloading your bicycle.
          • To unload your bike, raise the support arm off the tire and move it down and out of your way. Lift your bike out of the rack.
          • Return the bike rack to the folded position if there isn't another bike in the rack. Make eye contact with the driver to indicate that you are through with the rack.

          *Remember: Never cross the street in front of the bus. Passing traffic cannot see around the bus. As a safety precaution, wait until the bus moves away before getting on your bicycle.

        • MARTIN EDWARDS CLARK
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2008
            the racks have begun to be installed and the test route has been chosen...Russell. The logic is that since it has a low coach requirement, all buses can use the racks. We will see how it works...hopefully it will go well so the program can expand. Gas prices will be high for a while (whether we go with off shore drilling, which won't reach the gas pumps before 2012, or alternate energy, these wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Iran as well as the industrial growth of China, India and Russia will keep oil prices high!)

            Martin Edwards - Clark
            Walden ID: 0387768
            PhD in Applied Management and Decision Sciences
            Leadership and Organizational Change Specialization
            Knowledge Management Concentration
            Detroit, Michigan 48224
            Eastern Standard Time

            Additional Contact Information: