Re: [DSR-2-DOT] Re: The last days for #3200-3232 RTS fleet

  • Doc Rock
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2007
      On the real..they were...the 10`s and the 11`s were...But the 13`s14`s and 15`s were not...I saw them over at the paint Shop at shoemaker....going thru the paint and bondo job and that was it and still 20 year old coaches being rehabed ...now that was still a Darn Shame....there was money..our money in the General fund that could have been used for Coaches

      TTS Craig <hbcraig2@...> wrote:
      Hey Rock, that could be said of some of the coaches done during the early 90's, when the remainder of the fleet was repainted to resemble the redesigned DDOT paint scheme introduced on the #2000-series MCI Classics. But a large number of the coaches rehabbed during the early to mid-80's were completely rebuilt.

      DDOT began sending coaches out to be rehabbed around 1979/1980. A number of the old #2400's (1966 vintage) and #2600 and 2700 (1968) were the first to be sent out. After returning, they were identified by the placing of a "R1" or "R2" after the coach number—signifying the first and second phase of coaches to be rehabbed.

      Around 1985 is when the #1000 and 1100's (and a few of the #28-2900's) were sent off. They were definitely rebuilt. Not only receiving new paint jobs inside and out, but newly designed bumpers were added, seating replaced, and some received new engines. They even replaced the hand-cranked route-sign box located on the right side of the #10-1100's with a motorized route-sign box.

      Around 1980, I remember one of the old #2400's (either #2445 or 2449), that was an embarrassment to drive. It was one of the first coaches someone tried to repaint back during the mid-70's to resemble the new DDOT colors shortly after DDOT took over the DSR. They even went as far as repainting the passenger seats various colors to resemble the multi-color seating found on the new GMC #10-1100's and the AMG #1200's. Of course, the paint on the seats started to peel off after time, making the interior look terrible!!! One day I saw it being driven away on a flat-bed and thought it was finally gone for good. However, the coach returned months later, and I couldn't believe it was the same bus.  The deplorable seats were gone, and the coach looked like a new bus. It was definitely a miracle!! (LOL)

      --- In DSR-2-DOT@yahoogrou ps.com, Doc Rock <gstone770@.. .> wrote:

      > That`s If the Coach is Totally Rehabed...Not Half Cocked like they did in the 80`s...Fresh coat of paint and thats it....No you have too re-do the Under Carriage on up
      >
      > Bob bweidendorf@ ... wrote: FYI - rebuilding most equipment adds about 50% to its original life expectancy

      Motown...Is My Town