mopho + nrpns

  • lutherblisset63
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2012
      Hi,

      I have a kenton control freak midi controller and I wanted to program the mopho from that using NRPN's. I have read through the manual etc., but still haven't quite figured it out. If anyone could give me quick example or point me in the right direction it could save me years. The control freak has two options, either [NRPN MSB + LSB] or [NRPN + MSB]. In the case of [NRPN MSB + LSB] the four inputs required are: (not including the range)

      controller MSB
      Controller LSB
      Data MSB
      Data LSB

      The [NRPN + MSB] option is the same but does not include DATA LSB.

      The only luck I have had so so far is setting the controller LSB to the NRPN listed in the mopho manual, setting the controller MSB to 0 and the Data MSB to the knob. This works, but the data jumps from 0 to the high value and nothing in between. In short, I really don't know what I'm doing.

      Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
    • lutherblisset63
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2012
        Never mind. figured it out.

        The values of 127 have to mapped to two knobs which is not ideal, but works nevertheless.

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "lutherblisset63" <jimbob1234@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a kenton control freak midi controller and I wanted to program the mopho from that using NRPN's. I have read through the manual etc., but still haven't quite figured it out. If anyone could give me quick example or point me in the right direction it could save me years. The control freak has two options, either [NRPN MSB + LSB] or [NRPN + MSB]. In the case of [NRPN MSB + LSB] the four inputs required are: (not including the range)
        >
        > controller MSB
        > Controller LSB
        > Data MSB
        > Data LSB
        >
        > The [NRPN + MSB] option is the same but does not include DATA LSB.
        >

        > The only luck I have had so so far is setting the controller LSB to the NRPN listed in the mopho manual, setting the controller MSB to 0 and the Data MSB to the knob. This works, but the data jumps from 0 to the high value and nothing in between. In short, I really don't know what I'm doing.
        >
        > Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

      • Oliver Haas
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 12, 2012
          Hi,

          I was waiting for an answer on this subject as well, however the forum here is pretty lame.

          Would you share your expereince ?

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 12, 2012
            Which part were you interested in? Programming the NRPN's is not complicated once you get a clear explanation.

            The problem (at least with my controller) is that any value over 127 must be split between two knobs. For example, the filter frequency which goes to a value of 164, would have to programmed 0-127 on one knob and 128-164 on an other. Similarly with the midi CC's you only have a 0-127 range, which in the case of the filter frequency is 37-164. Kind of a bummer if you want to do crazy sweeps by hand. (so are the encoders though unfortunately)

            I've heard people mention the BCr2000 used with the mopho, so possibly there is way to program that to work more fluently with NRPN's, I'm not sure.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2012
              Programming the NRPN's is not complicated , I wish I could say that.

              My set up is an Evolver with a Control Freak Live, going into an RME Hammerfall, thats my midi .

              I, ll managed to program the CC, but its very limited

              Regards

              --- In mailto:DSI_Evolver%40yahoogroups.com, Oliver Haas <oliver4sound@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I was waiting for an answer on this subject as well, however the forum here is pretty lame.
              >
              > Would you share your expereince ?

              > ________________________________

            • bug.out
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2012
                On Sep 12, 2012, at 9:31 AM, lutherblisset63 wrote:

                > The problem (at least with my controller) is that any value over 127 must be split between two knobs. For example, the filter frequency which goes to a value of 164, would have to programmed 0-127 on one knob and 128-164 on an other. Similarly with the midi CC's you only have a 0-127 range, which in the case of the filter frequency is 37-164. Kind of a bummer if you want to do crazy sweeps by hand. (so are the encoders though unfortunately)
                >
                > I've heard people mention the BCr2000 used with the mopho, so possibly there is way to program that to work more fluently with NRPN's, I'm not sure.

                the BCR2000 lets you set what type of info you want each knob to send (CC, NRPN, etc), and in what range. you could control everything on the mopho with a bcr2k.

                also, can't you set the mopho to send/receive CC instead of NRPN? if so, your CC controller should work fine.
              • lutherblisset63
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 12, 2012
                  Hi,

                  You don't have to deal with any of the hexadecimal calculations with the control freak. Just set a controller for NRPN [msb + lsb].
                  If you think of NRPN's as a base of 128, it should help. Or that the MSB/LSB is like a course/fine tune. So you have the possibilities 128/128 = 16,384, instead of just 128 as with CC's.

                  So for a value of 75, it would be MSB= 0 LSB=75
                  a value of 200 would be MSB = 1 LSB = 72

                  Not sure how the evolver works, but make sure NRPN control is turned on. An example for programming the control freak:
                  edit knob data
                  select NRPN [msb + lsb]
                  look up the controller number, eg 189 would be msb = 0 lsb 61
                  For the NRPN data, depending on the range set the MSB (probably 0 or 1)
                  For the LSB set to 'data from knob'.

                  This is why you have to use two knobs if the range is over 128 as you have to set the MSB. (You can set it to another knob but that's still two knobs).

                  Hopefully that makes sense. As far midi cc's go, I thought 128 was the technical limit. So it's impossible to have more than 128 values. From dsi support:

                  "We shifted the incoming range of CC values to cover a range of 37-164 on the filter as we felt this provided a good range of control when solely using CC messages to address the filter cutoff. To address the full 0-255 value range of the filter cutoff parameter, you must use NRPN messages."

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 13, 2012
                    I cant thank you enough for that, at last it makes some sense.

                    Regards

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 14, 2012
                      No problem. If you get stuck just ask I might be able to help.
                      And in case you were confused by this line:

                      "look up the controller number, eg 189 would be msb = 0 lsb 61"
                      The zero is typo, should be: msb = 1 lsb = 61